1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP worth it for 55 mile commute?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by the_chinadian, Nov 9, 2012.

1. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi all,

Disclaimer: I'm a total noob. I'm shopping priuses; this will be my first one! And I'm trying to decide between a regular III or the PIP. I live right next to the highway and will be commuting 55 miles to work and 55 miles back so 110 miles round trip.

My office parking lot is in the middle of nowhere with no plug. So this means I would be EV only for 11 miles / day out of the 110 total.

QUESTIONS:
    1. For this type of commute, is it worth it to get the PIP? Assuming after credits, the difference between the III and the PIP is $1,000?
    2. Is it true that the PIP only stays EV up to 62 mph? (I live next to the highway with a reverse commute and traffic normally flows around 70-75) I normally set cruise control at 70-75.
    3. Will my overall mpg suffer in a PIP (with this commuting scenario)because of the extra 123 lbs?
    4. If I am consistently driving at 70, does this mean I am not really getting any value out of the PIP?

Thanks for all your help and advice.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I recall in your other thread you said you live in Nor Cal. Will HOV lane stickers be of any benefit? It sounds like no.

3. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No. Commute is from Sacramento to Stockton and back. It's a reverse commute so I have no traffic in the directions I am driving in. HOV lanes are not really needed. Although in 4 years I may move to bay area ...

Question:
    5. Do I need to drive below 62 to get the benefit of the PIP? Or can i set the cruise at 70 and still get some value out of it?

4. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    According to this article:

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid Review - Review | Hybrid Cars

"If your one-way commute is 10-12 miles and you can plug in at work, you would use little, if any, gasoline all week. However, a 30 or more mile run to the office and no chance of plugging in means fuel mileage closer to the 49 mpg. That suggests the conventional Prius with its 50 mpg combined average is the wiser choice."

But this assumes an $8k difference between the PIP vs. non-PIP models. I'm looking at a PIP listed on internet with price of $29,988 - $4k in credits = $25,988 vs. a regular Prius three internet prices of $24,688 w/out solar package or $25,488 with solar package. That's only at $500 - $1,300 difference between the two non-PIP models I am looking at...

5. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Plus the PIP has 0% APR for 60 months!

Although I like the blizzard pearl of the non-PIP, whereas the PIP at that price is silver ...

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On east coast PiP prices are cheaper...we've had a lot of folks traveling out-of-state to get the PiP deals, but I don't recall anyone going all the way from CA to NY or NJ etc to get a PiP. Best deal back east was in Boston 26500 before credits so you could be 22500 after credits but you'd need a way home.

Its a tough choice between hybrid and PiP but I view in CA PiP gives you some added flexibility. I am not a plug-in fanatic, what I mean by that, if I bought a PiP I might not charge it all the time so your case is fine by me.

7. stearicom

stearicom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I bought one in Maryland and drove it all the way back. The deals out east are just too good. But, I would ship it back instead of doing the grueling drive. Also, remember in CA you get $1,500 rebate from the state. So, if you were to buy one in the east that would cover the shipping cost and then some. So, the price is much closer to getting a 3 or even cheaper. With the PIP resale value would be a bit better and you get heated seats and remote A/C. I would get a PIP.

wjtracy likes this.
  8. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just looked on cars.com and the prices back east are ridiculous. a couple questions:
    1. Why are they so much cheaper? They are like $4k cheaper back east than here in CA
    2. I'm a little uncomfortable buying a car sight unseen ... I've test driven a few new priuses and some of them had stains on the seats, or chips in paint, 200+ miles on the odo, etc. ... I guess I shouldn't nit-pick when I could save $4k, but it seems like new should be new imho ...
    3. Do I need to pay sales tax in both states?

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In some places back east, they have no incentives like the $1500 in CVRP (CA only) or HOV stickers. Regional incentives vary all the time. Go to
    BuyAToyota!

and click on Change Location. Then, put in zip codes from random states.

The green HOV stickers may be useless in 4 years as per Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers, they're only valid until 1/1/15. They could be extended, but it's unclear when extensions will run out. The yellow HOV stickers (I have those) I believe were extended once and finally expired in 7/1/11.

With your commute, I'm thinking maybe it's not worth it for the PiP. However, if your goal is to use less oil, much of which we import and most of which resides in volatile regions of the world, then a PiP helps towards that more than a regular Prius. BTW, almost no electricity in the US comes from oil.

CIA - The World Factbook
    EIA's Energy in Brief: Who are the major players supplying the world oil market?
    Oil: Crude and Petroleum Products - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  10. J Moehrke

J Moehrke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Besides, you don't just drive to work, you do go other places, don't you? Around town, to the grocers, etc, much of that can be done in EV mode, which will help with your overall MPG numbers.

11. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The east coast has $4000 tfs rebate now and 0%.

For number 2 just go to one of the places that have 20+ PiP and take your pick of the best one.

Remember the PiP will get better gas mileage even in HV mode.

12. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you close to any of the public charging stations in Stockton?

www.plugshare.com

I think you will get some assist from the PiP's battery at highway speeds over 60mph, resulting in higher mpg numbers.

If you buy from the east coast, check out uship.com (my hometown startup) for getting it delivered to Sacramento.

13. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me actually answer these one by one.
    1. I think so. Also, if you're financing, the PiP due to 0% APR will be the same or even cheaper than regular Prius.
    2. Yes. It also won't go very far at that speed. In personal experience I've been able to get to 64 with light acceleration beyond 62. Don't expect to get more than 5-6 miles at that speed though.
    3. Not really. I mean, that's like having one extra passenger, and a light one. Don't even think about it.
    4. As mentioned by someone else, you do drive places other than work? You can cut your "around town" gas consumption to zero, which is the most wasteful kind of driving that you'd be doing.
    As for some of your follow-up questions
    Taxes: no, you only pay CA taxes
    Pricing differences: simple supply and demand, the demand for them isn't as high back East, and 2012 is almost over so they need to dump these cars yesterday.
    Also, a question for you: where can you charge? At home, at work? If in at least one of those places, it's worth it. The HOV sticker is also worth it in case you ever need to go to the Bay Area. Never know when it might come in handy and let you save some time (and potentially money at the tolls and HOT lanes).

14. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as going out of state to buy the car — one potential option is to go to Oregon, where you get a better deal than in CA but which is not super far away. Lithia Toyota of Springfield is offering $2500 off all vehicles and TFS offers $1500 cash down and 0% APR bringing your total discount to $4k. Note that the CVRP and IRS rebates still apply, so you're looking at $25,200 after all is said and done.
    This is what I did personally, and today I just finished registering the car here. So I can answer any questions you might have from firsthand experience.

cwerdna likes this.
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After the 2012 are sold we will have some awards here on Prius Chat:
    (1) Longest commute to pick up PiP
    (2) Best Price before credits
    (3) Best Price after credits

Anyways Stearicom you are in the running. Prize is new 2013 Prius Chat sticker

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never done it, but no you just pay sales tax once in CA based on where you register your car.
    Just don't move to Louisiana after you purchase any new car as they re-impose sales tax for all vehicles entering state with new residents (unless they changed that law since I moved back east).

17. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Two things to consider:

1: Do you have long stretches of uphill/downhill? The PiP gets a small advantage on the run, for example, from Sedona to Phoenix, because it can pick up some extra EV miles whereas a smaller battery is fully charged before you finish the downhill portion.
    2: There is a small penalty due to the heavier weight of the PiP battery that you suffer during your entire 110 mile commute, while only deriving the extra benefit during about 11 miles of it.

If you can convince your place of striving to give you an outlet, that would double the PiP benefit, but even so, it's not a great ratio. OTOH, if you can get a great deal on the PiP, it might be worth it regardless.

Richard

18. raimix

raimix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get the best deal possible for PiP and Prius 3.
    Compare the #s (after incentives / apr%).
    Now ask yourself this question, will I save the difference via Charge during the years of ownership.
    Is there any advantage you will get by owning PiP compare to Prius? I.E. Hov lane access or any other incentive.
    PiP has heated seats / better looking wheels (in my opinion) as well as few exterior looks.

Currently they seem to sell PiP about $27000 around NY area, after tax credit it might be cheaper compare to Prius 3 due to going rate for Prius 3 is about $25000.

19. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow. I'm overwhelmed at the community response. :) All your responses have been super-helpful. I am now planning on buying a plug-in, probably from back east or maybe Oregon. I have an outdoor outlet at home near the driveway so I will be able to charge regularly and take advantage of higher mpg for short trips around town.

cwerdna - good point and I will probably get the green sticker anyway
    Moehrke - agreed and good point
    slcMPG - makes sense that rebates are regional; didn't think of that...
    Hatchet - according to plug share, I'm not in walking distance where I can park to charge and get to my office building, but this is a helfpul link to have! And noted on still getting some assist over 60mph
    lensovet - thanks for responding item by item. this was super-helpful. And providing the oregon dealer info.
    wjtracy - not sure I'm savvy enough to get cheapest price, and I don't think shipping my car accross the country counts for award #1.
    rcf - no uphill/downhill during commute, but will be useful on trips to/from tahoe. I think with the incentives it will be worth it regardless.
    raimix - thanks, I do think it's worth it now that I see the prices back east. Many are 7,000 under MSRP. If you factor in the 4k in rebates, then that's 11k under MSRP and shipping is probably less than 1k so it's worth it.

The only thing that's weird is not being able to see a car I'm purchasing in MD when I live in CA. But they are brand new cars so they can't be that messed up. I'll just have to be comfortable accepting that it might have a small ding, or tiny stain, or whatever when it shows up and remind myself that it is worth the extra $4k in savings.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just get an email agreement that they'll give you a discount for any imperfections so you can have them fixed when you get home.