1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pirelli Cinturato P6 tramlining & mileage woes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by strunk76, Dec 21, 2013.

1. strunk76

strunk76 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First post here about an issue, I think. Anyway, I took my '11 package 2 to our regular mechanic for some replacement tires. The oem Yokohama Avid 333's lasted about 54k miles. Now I'm running Pirelli Cinturato P6 195/65 r15 91h. I've noticed tramlining at 65+ mph, and a general decrease in mileage (40 mpg city+hwy on a tank, worst ever; 50 mpg, pure highway). I'm used to averaging about 52 mpg city+hwy on the Yokohamas. Best mileage on the dash says 56.9 mpg. I MISS that type of mileage. Suggestions? I'm about 1k miles into this new set of tires and I'm pretty much over them. Thanks.

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer Michelin tires. I run MXM4 Michelin on my car. Michelin Energy Saver tires would be good on your 15" wheels. Since you already have new tires all I could suggest is pump those things up to the sidewall max pressure and see if that brings your mpg's up enough. If they are down in the 30 something psi range you will get higher mpg's although a firmer ride with higher pressure. If they are already around 40 something psi then you are kinda stuck with the mpg's they are giving you. As they wear in a bit, the mpg's will go up a bit.

Mike

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your gas mileage woes are, no doubt, due to additional weight of the Pirelli's plus the newness of the tires. The Pirelli's are a whopping 4lbs heavier than the stock Yokohama's. For your sake, I 'm hoping that after you acquire a few miles on the P6's that they settle in and improve with break-in.

4. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    MichelinAS ENEGY SAVERS "THE BEST" I've had yoko,goodyears,by far the mich get the most mileage !! Luv em.

WE0H likes this.
  5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put them on my SUV and got a solid 4 mpg improvement over the all seasons it had before.

Mike

6. strunk76

strunk76 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you all for the responses. I will look into the Michelins and play with the psi in the meantime. Happy holidays.

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

retired4999 and WE0H like this.