1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pirelli p4 all season on 2010 - quick review

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by daddycooling, Mar 1, 2014.

1. daddycooling

daddycooling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At 45k on the original ecopia 20, I still had 30% tread left but decided to get new tires. SAMS club had the $70 rebate deal on Michelin mxv4 so I headed for them. Upon arrival I noticed a "one time" buy of P4s in only my size that were oddly H rated instead of their normal spec of T. Not sure why. Generally H means stiffer and that generally means less rolling resistance and the price was right. So my value bone was tickled. $57 Per tire after instant rebate. Saved me $202 to go with these instead if mxv4. And if they don't last to 65k I don't care, I'll still be ahead.

I picked it up this afternoon and drove 230 miles. The tires greatly improve the quietness and straight line stability of this car. Softer rubber and tall shoulders may be why. I'm certain the traction will have vastly improved too but have yet to test. If I only loose a few mpg it is totally worth it to me. On the drive I averaged 47 and that is about what I usually get on this trip. Like much of the country, we've had lots of weather and I've had low confidence and a couple near misses with the old tires. My old 5 series bmw with the mxv4 and rear wheel drive felt much more secure than the Prius. Hopefully that will be reversed now. I've had the experience where you hit an incline and can't get started because of slippage and the traction system. Almost totally stuck it once. Last comment, the tire change reminds me of upgrading from a civic or corolla to a Camry or accord in terms of noise. It is still not as quiet as the BMW but the BMW has a ton of insulation everywhere and the more expensive michelins and only gets 21 mpg in the city. Thought I'd share. Thanks for reading!

iPhone ?

SFO likes this.