1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pirus Rage Gives Rise to Hybrid Haters

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Areometer, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    By Joe Benton
    ConsumerAffairs.Com

April 19, 2006
    Growing numbers of hybrid drivers are becoming victims of road rage and they are calling it the "Prius Backlash" as the poltical debate over the environment seems to be moving to the carpool lanes.

Hybrid drivers, particularly in California and Virginia where solo occupants of hybrid cars are eligible to drive in the carpool lanes, are feeling a new form of commuter road rage.

Some carpoolers accuse the hybrids driving too slowly in order to maximize their fuel economy and they claim that the slower hybrids are beginning to cause traffic jams in lanes that were once clear.

>> More

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Isn't that just a reprint of the Mercury News article from a couple of weeks ago? I think AP reprinted it too.

I wonder if they credited the original author or just claimed it :)

3. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's kind of funny though that driving the speed limit (or maybe 5mph over) is "driving too slow". I have yet to get my stickers (heck I don't even have my registration papers yet! But I won't mind driving a little faster if it helps me get home quicker in the carpool lane.

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Road rage has little to do with hybrids or vehicles. People continue to "substitute oil for knowledge," regardless of driving conditions, vehicles on the road or the retail price of fuel. My expectation is that other drivers will admire a Prius driver proceeding with caution. But this is rarely the case. People appear to operate with "political expediency" and linear vision. Get out of my way and don't impede my progress, regardless of traffic or conditions!

Anyone and any vehicle who drives slower than expected is suspect and viewed as inferior. Two-thirds of my commute is on a older highway with less traffic and a 45 mph speed limit. People expect to drive slower and are more courteous. On those occasions that I drive on a newer freeway, vehicles move at 70 to 90 mph (70 mph speed limit), and speeding vehicles weave in and out of lanes, passing on the right, etc., always striving to get ahead. Initially I may be offended or concerned, but then I realize it has nothing to do with me or a Prius, these drivers always drive the same way. I am always amazed to see those vehicles next to me at an off ramp. They may again look at the Prius, but don't recognize the Prius as a vehicle they previously passed.

I suspect that even when fuel reaches $10 per gallon, these drivers will still be driving the same way.

5. Amyshubby

Amyshubby 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The reason I pruchased my Prius was to drive in the HOV lane.

I tend to drive about 70 MPH, which pretty much keeps me in line with the rest of the drivers. I don't subscribe to the theory that hybrid drivers are slower then other drivers.

I wonder how much of the backlash has to do with people being annoyed that they have to pay $50 to fill their tank twice a week and we don't?

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Apr 20 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]242661[/snapback]</div>
    I've already noticed people driving a bit slower, more conservatively just this week alone, as gas prices have skyrocketed. Normally in my morning and evening commute, I get passed constantly on surface streets when I'm driving the speed limit or 5 over. This week, I've found that I'm either the leader in a pack when driving at or just above the limit on those same streets at the same time of day, or I leave all other cars in the dust at that speed.

7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I drive 500 miles a week on LA freeways, and haven't seen any extra amount of rage. Here the normal levels are quite high, so its hard to see an increase, at least at me personally. I hate it when Stupid Unsafe Vehicles tailgate me on the surface streets though. I don't mind using all the speed I need to to stay with traffic on the freeway, but it's not always possible to just disappear when these Big (right) Foot drivers run up on you on the streets, where I'm usually 5-10 over the limit anyway. As for Hybrid Haters, Get a life!

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 20 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]242743[/snapback]</div>
    I saw a black 350z versus a GM 300 yesterday on the 5 near the 91. The 350z guy was really really pissed at the 300 guy, and was braking in front of him, cutting him off, fingering, doing broadside shouting, etc...

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Apr 20 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]242774[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I mean by "normal" rage, i.e., no hybrids involved.

Forget the "EV" buttons, when the Prius gets the "Tazer" option, we can show some real Hybrid hater's road rage back at them.

10. pollibird

pollibird New Member

It's disappointing to see solo drivers of all gas vehicles driveing in the carpool lanes.
    Wonder if they get backlash? They'er asking for it.

11. mixoso

mixoso New Member

Hey there,

I am a producer at CNN and we are working on this story about hybrid backlash. Has anyone every flipped you off, or made any comments when you are driving solo in the HOV lanes?? Any thoughts??

Thanks for your time!!

Jim
    [email protected]

12. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mixoso @ Apr 21 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]243138[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, never. I've used the carpool lanes so far in OC and LA on the 405, 55, 5, and 105 freeways at varying times on various days of the week. But I may just be too smug about getting to cruise solo in the carpool lane that I just don't notice the reactions of others... :D

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mixoso @ Apr 21 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]243138[/snapback]</div>
    Surprisingly, here in the Detroit area, I don't get any backlash that can be attributable to driving a Prius. The usual harried driver doesn't like that I drive slower than most everyone else, meaning that I drive the speed limit, but most of the feedback that I get is "how much mileage do you get?". Prius drivers who can drive in the carpool lanes may experience so hostility but I get none. Mostly, I seem to get deference; respect. I've often had drivers in SUVs and pickup trucks, among others, who drive behind me for a long ways even when they have the option of changing lanes and they're not tailgating or acting impatiently. I believe that people are slowly becoming aware of the fact that driving behavior has more to do with good gas mileage than which car you drive. That I get 55 mpg is beside the point.

14. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mixoso @ Apr 21 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]243138[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know this guy but if he is like any other 'news reporter' he has a pre-defined point to make into a story. Denying his basic premise won't do any good. The story is already written in his head and he just seeks a couple of coroborating quotes. Now, if he were a real reporter he would go after real news like 'why do people in the HOV lanes feel they have a right to exceed the speed limit' or start with the basic premise that HOV lanes are getting over crowded and he would research why and find out that single occupant vehicles including off duty public servants are illegally using them or other such reasons.

15. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tooooooootally.....
    Well.....sigh....this doesn't apply to the HOV lanes.....but that's not really the topic of this thread.....!

have had my Prius for approx 1 year.
    For me...... Prius has had an "effect/affect" on my driving style.......
    Yes....I admit it.....I've slowed-down......this, inturn, has immensely reduced the stress in my life. No need to rush. No need to get all "bent" about someone leaving 1-1/2 car space between vehicles. Driving is truely a pleasure (of sorts).

-Last month on my way to work (...roughly 6:20am) driving major side streets through Costa Meas to get to the freeway....I'm driving in the right lane....a lady (loosely used term), white, 35-40 yr old....pulls up next to me on my left in a mid sized sedan, I happen to glance over at her....she is holding her right arm extended toward me flipping her middle finger right at me....sigh! :blink:
    Not staring at me.....not mouthing any words........had not even noticed her before this.....still have no idea what brought this on. Was this Hybrid Rage?.

Typically drive these sidestreets anywhere from 37-42 mph...(45mph max speed limit)...it's stop light to stop light.....ie....you stop.....leave the light.....drive to the other light....stop again...or you get lucky and hit a green......300 horsepower doesn't give anyone any Advantage driving this type of road/street/traffic set up. You "go with the flow of traffic".........your speed of travel is determined by the peeps around you.

.....Am I being Stereotyped....and subjected to abuse because of my choice of vehicle? I really don't think so. I think there's something much deeper (Socially, Anti-Socially) going on. People are screwy.....freaks and super-freaks...., laid back......chilled out....pissed off......happy-go-lucky.
    Something happens/changes when you get in a car and hit the streets....no matter what your driving.......all manners, social graces, ethics are pretty much absent. Maybe it's just California traffic....I don't know.

16. guido

guido Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I notice that they mention 15-passanger carpool vans but say nothing about "kidpools" with a solo driver in his/her Excursion and the 2 year old in the back seat going to daycare.

That's because kidpools don't add congestion to the HOV lanes the way hybrids do.

dan

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mixoso @ Apr 21 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]243138[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing personal, Jim, but after the crap contained in CNN's "Best Car With Great Gas Mileage" article, I don't trust you.

18. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 21 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]243421[/snapback]</div>
    Amen to that! Until big media quits lining their pockets with Detroit cash, it will be the same old garbage. The media (in general), with the assistance of the big 3, are so afraid of moving forward, that in desparation, will print false information presented as fact.

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In Socal, I've had a solo SUV driver buffer violate into the lane behind me on the 134W, tailgate me, buffer violate out to my right, then buffer violate/cut me off in front of me with literally inches to spare between myself and the car already in the lane in front him (next to the carpool lane), speed down the HOV lane, encountered a Civic hybrid shortly ahead, and then buffer violate out to the right. I wasn't ready to get a photo of his license plate.

Driving 5-S, I have a picture of a green Civic-solo driver cut around me on my LEFT while near the Disneyland HOV offramp.

I have a picture of a riced-up solo-driver Civic SI hatchback buffer violate into the lane in front of me while I was heading E on the 91.

You want more? Also, this is typical HOV life because I've encountered the same in Civic for many years previously. But, I've seen enough of CNN bashing hybrids with faulty/inaccurate data comparing apples to oranges, and this recurring unsubstantiated theme that hybrids are somehow more expensive than a V6/European/luxury/SUV whatnot vehicle.

20. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Watch someone else in the media spin it as the next reason not to get a hybrid! "Surveys show hybrids the target of road rage. Don't buy one if you're concerned about safety."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 21 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]243421[/snapback]</div>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.