1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pity me

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by metamatic, Dec 16, 2004.

1. metamatic

metamatic Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Some unknown git cracked the rear drivers-side light assembly on the Prius, scraped the upper surface of the bumper at truck height, and disappeared quietly without leaving any insurance details.

So, the car is in for repairs. While they fix it, the insurance company (GEICO) are paying for a rental car. The temporary car is a Chevrolet Cavalier, the sedan model which starts at $15,175. We've got a "deluxe" one, with the optional CD player and automatic transmission.

Now, I'm no conoisseur of fine vehicles, but I have driven a Toyota Corolla ($13,680). And I have to say, compared to a Corolla, let alone a Prius, the Chevy is a sad little excuse for a car. As Edmunds puts it:

But let's try for a more detailed review…

The Chevy Cavalier has extra-low "sports style" seating. This provides valuable stretching to the hamstring muscles, and helps toughen them up ready for dealing with the brake pedal. The ergonomic headrests in wipe-clean vinyl nearly match the seats, and are set back far enough that you can easily wear a crash helmet in the car, which might not be a bad idea given its lowest possible rating in crash test results and lack of side impact air bags.

The steering is subtly power assisted, yet still does an excellent job of transmitting the vibration of every road bump to the driver's hands, providing valuable feedback on road conditions. At parking lot speeds the steering automatically stiffens up to provide you with a complimentary upper body workout.

Touch the accelerator and you're away. The high torque engine gives you instant extremely rapid acceleration for that vital 0 to 10 mph stretch, then switches into a far more sedate mode for accelerationless cruising. Hills are no problem for the 4 cylinder aluminium engine; just hold the accelerator down, and after a couple of seconds you'll hear a noise like a lawnmower as the car suddenly shifts into hill-climbing mode.

The braking is smooth and gradual no matter how hard you push the pedal, so go ahead and give it all you've got.

So hurry and buy a Chevy Cavalier now—they're discontinuing it after 2005, it's that good.