1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Place to buy a Toyota Prius part that is already painted?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Rocketboy235, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Rocketboy235

Rocketboy235 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hey All,

So I'm trying to find a place where a 2016 Toyota front bumper part (tow eye cap) is already painted and is for sale. Looking for the black color but I am having difficulty looking for a place that sells already painted. Checked with a dealership and they only sell unpainted parts unfortunately. Same thing when looking on eBay (unless I didn't look hard enough).

Would dealerships sell parts that are already painted or will it always come as unpainted?

Tow Eye Cap (Right, Front) | Part #5212747907 | Toyota Auto Parts

https://ebay.com/itm/354653289231

Reason for why I need it painted beforehand is because I brought this car to a carwash and somehow part of the car fell off and so the car wash company will reimburse me for that part but they don't cover painting the part. So they told me I have to buy the part already painted (kind of strange they cannot just cover the part cost and painting it)

Thanks.

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is a weird arrangement you’ve made with the car wash but regardless since you’re just looking for that small part to be painted, I think you’re best off getting it from a junkyard that has a wrecked Prius in your color. It’s a small enough part to be mailed because getting a body shop to spend the time to paint such a small part will be cost prohibitive. Use a site like car-part.com or call a big junkyard and get them to pull it for you.

You might have some success calling or emailing one of those companies that sell preprinted folded bumpers and seeing if they can paint that part for you. I’m sure they get requests for those parts as well when they sell the bumpers…they may or may not be willing to paint and send you just the tow cover for a nominal fee.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota usually sells those painted- which surprised me at first, but they're actually very good at stocking all the plastic bits in finished colors.

Difficulty: the newly refurbished public Toyota parts website no longer shows which part number is which color. Notice how the part name ends in "L/COLOR?" It's supposed to be listing the color name there, but it's recently broken. If you back up in the website, you see several part numbers of the same item, but they are all "L/COLOR" rather than the actual paint name.

Try a different dealer?

4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If that’s true then it may just take a phone call to the parts department of a few dealers until you find a parts manager that knows how to get that for you. Nice.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The paint color code should be on the data plate at the driver side door.
    Having that code should allow dealer to get the exact match for you.

6. Rocketboy235

Rocketboy235 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Not sure if there is a better arrangement but they would only compensate me if I bring them an invoice for the part paid. They won't cover anything more than that... What would you consider a better arrangement? This is my first time dealing with this so I'm not sure. Thanks for your suggestion by the way!

Oh interesting, did not know that. I'll have to contact other dealerships then. Didn't realize they did it for each color. Thought they were selling only as the unpainted part.

I'll take a look then. Thank you!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    When I replace one on my 2016 Prius, The part came unpainted and painting it wasn't cheap. The Toyota body shop had a Prius the same color in for repair, so they just painted my part when they painted the collision repair at no charge.

JeffD

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to pile on: yes, contact a dealership parts department. If you get nowhere try a few others if possible.

they’re the simple/traditional source for parts, and will confirm compatibility; that’s their job.