1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Placing (shifting) into Reverse

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dmdmark, May 15, 2011.

1. dmdmark

dmdmark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After I start the engine, place my foot on the brake and then move stick into reverse, the car "jerks" back. This happens 25% of the time. This never has happened going into drive mode. Any thoughts ?

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't you need to put your foot on the brake before you power on the car? Anyways, it sounds like you're not using the emergency (left foot) brake - as in it was never engaged. My routine:

Step on brake hard
    Hit Power
    Release E brake
    Shift to R

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably depends on whether the engine is running or not. it comes on more in reverse than forward.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    First, whether the engine is running or not, the car will not notice in "R" as -all- motive power comes from MG2. The engine just spins.
    Second, do note that the Prius will jerk a bit when it's cold (before you warm up the transmission oil). This may be what you are seeing.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When the engine is running it produces forward torque on the drive train. This is opposed and overpowered by MG2 in reverse, so the car will back up, but MG2 is working against the ICE in this configuration. In this respect it does make a difference whether the ICE is running or not.

ICE startup produces a jump in torque which can sometimes produce a jerk. This is true going forward or backward, but is most noticeable at slow speeds.

Tom

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  6. dmdmark

dmdmark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your reply. I actually do your suggested routine, but I still occasionally get a loud "snap" sound when putting the stick into R and sometimes even N. Never get it in D.

7. dmdmark

dmdmark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what is ICE? Why would I hear this loud "snap" sound only placing in R, not D?

8. barcelona11

barcelona11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ICE = Internal Combustion Engine (ie, the gas engine). Sorry, I have no clue about your second question.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sometimes you hear a snap as the electrical relays close. It's an arcing sound, like something from an old Frankenstein movie. As for why you hear it only in reverse, that is probably a function of the specific relay.

You can also get a different sort of snap sound when the car starts to roll if the brake pads have stuck to the rotors.

Tom

10. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The snap might be the solenoid actuated parking caul or pin releasing. It's located between the ICE and the HSD. Part of the coil spring torque load damper clutch assembly that connects the two.

11. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just a note here, you will never feel a jerk from cold transmission oil ... the Prius doesn't have a transmission ... or a clutch ... or a torque converter. Both electric motors and the ICE are connected full time to a single planetary gearset which, in turn is connected through a single reduction gear to the differential.

The so-called "cvt transmission" is merely the computer controlling the speed of the ICE and the speed and direction of the 2 electric motors. For a graphic of how the planetary works, go here Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

HeadOfJarg, wesayso and qbee42 like this.
  12. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it possible that the OP is parked on a incline. The sound that he's hearing is normal, parking paw disengaging from locking ring. ???

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Correction. There are no gears shifting, but the Prius DOES have a "transmission". Power is transmitted to the wheels via the transmission and there -are- gears in there, planetary and others. There is also a chain. And when cold there is more drag so you can feel it when the drive changes. Usually only when you "shift" to "N" or "R". Even with your foot firmly on the brake (so there is no drive from fake "transmission creep").

1 person likes this.
  14. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the best guess i have seen. My car never does what the OP was saying. If i start my car and after i back up about ten feet the ICE then starts up producing noise but does nothing to make me jerk backwards, but it does make a snapping noise.

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most people use the term "transmission" to mean a shiftable transmission, but any device that "transmits" power from one location to another is a transmission.

Tom

16. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    cool graphic

17. Kasra

Kasra Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the same symptoms as the OP. this has nothing to do with engine hot or cold, sometimes it happens after my drive home. As soon as I shift in Reverse, there is that kick. It's almost like when you shift into R as the car is still rolling forward (But it actually isn't).

I also have waited 5-10 seconds before shiftinfrom D to R, but still there.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What’s the miles on it? Have you had it since new? (Wondering if someone might have used an alternate fluid in it.)

Easy first step, if it’s not been done: change transaxle fluid. May or may not help, but good to do at least once.