1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plan for relocating seats!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by naterprius, Feb 22, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have finally settled on a plan for relocating the front seats 2 inches further back. I have a 36" inseam and size 16 feet, so the Prius is a tight fit.

I spoke with a local welding shop and a local nuts and bolts supplier.

Here's the plan:

1. Grind off the rivets holding the two front and the outer rear mounting bracket to the seat rail.
    2. Weld material onto the front two brackets to make them longer.
    3. Fabricate a bracket for the outer rear location that will sit in reverse position from the current one.
    4. Attach the three modified brackets to the rails using m10-1.25 (10.9 hardness) button-head bolts and 10.9 hardness flange locknuts on the bottom.
    5. Drill new hole in floor for inner rear location. Weld steel plate and 10.9 hardness flange locknut onto underside of vehicle in new location.
    6. Bolt seat to the floor, now 2 inches further back.
    7. Relocate Hall sensor so Airbag will inflate with proper force (process TBD)
    8. If the seatbelt sits too low on lap, repeat relocate procedure for lower (outer) seat belt mount.
    9. If the seatbelt sits too far away from shoulder, add belt holder from a Camry coupe or similar to hold seat belt at proper position.
    10. Add a fixed plate to permanently raise the front of the seat slightly.

The welder said he would do the work for $200 per seat; I'll likely undertake this in about two weeks.

I have given a lot of consideration to a drill free, bolt in solution, but I haven't come up with something. Theoretically, I could create a kit that consisted of three brackets and some bolts that others could buy, but I haven't figured out a way around drilling a hole in the body for the inner rear mount. The seat belt receptacle needs lots of strength at that point and a "reverse" bracket like I will be using at the outer rear location is likely not strong enough.

I also will not be crash testing my design, so it's hard to say if it will be effective in a crash. I'll try to make it significantly beefier than necessary but we may never know if it will hold until that fateful day.

Nate

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that the existing rails have HAL type sensors to detect seat position in order to determine airbag timing. Will your resdesign take this into consideration?

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, step 7 above (Hall? HAL? sp?) sensor.

I'm looking into this as well.

Any other considerations anyone can think of? Better ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

Nate

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Okay, looking at the manual, I just had another brainstorm. For the rear outer mount, instead of fabricating a new one, why not just grind the rivet out and mount it further up on the track? Very little force is applied to this part of the seat in a crash anyway. This would allow me to keep the current mount position on the floor. I'm considering doing this on the inside rear one as well, but man, that IS the seat belt anchor, so I'll have to inspect it closer to see how the loads transfer in a collision.

As far as the "Seat Position Airbag Sensor" goes, I will just mount it two inches further forward to compensate. I think this should work; the only question is what the sensor senses? (A magnet somewhere?)

Anybody know?

Nate

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Okay, I've looked at the repair manual. It appears I need to mount the sensor 2 inches further BACK instead of forward since it's relative to the seat rail.

If the rail is moved back 2 inches, then the rail would be in the "overhang" position 2 inches sooner (as you slide forward). This could cause the SRS to use lower inflation force even though you are not as close the system believes. Moving the sensor back 2 inches would it prevent it from sending this false signal.

Nate

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Nope, if you are moving the rail, you are moving the seat back as well, so the sensor or magnet would have to be moved FORWARD.

Lets take for example that the sensor is detecting when the seat is 12 inches from the steering wheel
    If you move the seat and rail assembly back 2 inches, it is now detecting when the seat is 14 inches from the steering wheel, and need to be moved forward to compensate.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Dan, that is not correct, I realized that the sensor detects only one of two conditions:

1. The presence of TWO rails beneath it
    2. The presence of ONE rail beneath it

When it is detecting ONE rail beneath it, it will believe that the seat is very far forward. If I leave the sensor in place, it will detect the "forward" position when I am actually 2 inches further BACK. If I mount the sensor 2 inches BACK, it will detect the "forward" position at the exact same location as before.

Here's an example: (Numbers are hypothetical).

Let's suppose the sensor detects "forward" at 10 inches from the steering wheel. Anything further forward is "forward;" anything further back is "back". Let's suppose that my wife's normal driving position is 11 inches from the steering wheel. The sensor will detect this as "back". If I relocate the rail system 2 inches rearward, the same sensor position is now actually 13 inches, but the sensor reads 11 inches. My wife now slides the seat forward 2 inches back to her 11 inch position. The seat sensor now reads 9 inches, even though she is at 11 inches. If I move the sensor forward 2 inches to compensate, it would read 7 inches when she is really at 11 inches! However, if I move it BACK 2 inches, it will read at 11 inches when she is at 11 inches. (An accurate reading).

Perhaps this diagram will help:

8. exhuman

exhuman Member

kinda off topic, but. Did you scan it that diagram from one of the 3 volumes such as this: "2004 Prius Shop Service Repair Manual vol #1 by Toyota (B0400RM1075U1)"?

I'm curious because I've thought about purchasing the set and maybe I will if it has similar diagrams of all the other sytems.

Thanks.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hey Nate, I meant to acknowlege this earlier, but you are right. I was thinking from the view that the sensor/trigger are in the middle of the rails, or in the back. In THAT case, you would need to move the sensor frontward. But in this configuration, you do need to move it back.

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, the diagram is from the Toyota Repair manual mentioned. However, it is from the electronic version, available page by page (no bulk download available) from techinfo.toyota.com. The manual is very, very good. It is readable like a book for those who are only slightly mechanically inclined but is also a detailed reference for those who are experts.

Dan, I'm glad you agree on the sensor. It confirms that logic is correct.

Nate

11. Mike N

Mike N New Member

Sorry I'm so late chiming in on this thread. It looks like the sensor only has two states. Lower seat rail present (seat to rear) or absent (seat forward). Since you are moving the seat back permanently, you never want the sensor to think the seat is forward to lessen the airbag deployment force. Moving the sensor back will accomplish this. It can be mounted ANYWHERE on the top rail, just so it always detects the bottom rail throughtout the seat's travel forward and back.
    How long did it take you to download the entire manuals set from Toyota tech info? Ping me directly about it please.

Mike [email protected]

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Took me about a full day, plus another few days, a few hours at a time to put them together in sections.

13. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    NATERPRIUS: Are you out there? There is continuing discussion of the lack of seat travel on the Forums. You appear to be the only person with a plan to do something about it. Have you given up on your plan (which I would understand), or are you proceeding? Please give us a progress report--it would be a real Prius service!

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, you want an update?

The short answer: I've been busy, I haven't given up, it's on the list.

The long answer? I have a new baby, so the mods pace has slowed quite a bit. No, I haven't given up on my plan, it's just that my wife is requiring me to finish my household "mods" first. The good news? My sprinkler system is almost done!

Anyway, the only thing about my mod is that it isn't all that useful to others. I'm going to have a welder (a person) do just about everything; unless you live near Longmont, Colorado, you will have to find a welder in your area.

I had originally planned to assemble and sell "Bolt-in" kits, but after failing to establish a market for my lock-mod, I realized most people just aren't willing to pay enough to make it worth while. I had originally thought that the "interested posters" were a small sampling of the available market. For example, for 10 posts there would be 100 buyers. Instead, I've learned it's the other way around, for 10 posts there's (maybe) 1 or 2 buyers. It's just not worth my while. Take your Prius to a local welding shop and get an estimate, mine is about $200 per seat.

On a side note, I'm also holding out hope that the 2006 Prius will have an adjustable seat and I can switch out the seat rail assembly. We'll see.

Nate

15. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply, and congratulations on the addition to the family! Rumor does have it that an "electric" seat is in the plans. Perhaps a retrofit will be possible. . . .

16. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If I am able to retrofit a 2006 electric seat to my 2004, I will of course post all of the needed info to do it yourself.

But, I won't be selling any kits or anything.

Nate

17. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not counting on electric seats. So, continuing the thread--I have been thinking about a subrail under the seat rail: (1) bend the front of the subrail down about 45 degrees (?) to match the existing front floor mount; then (2) weld an angled bracket 2 inches rearward to attach the front of the seat; and finally (3) drill two holes in a row at the back of the subrail to attach the subrail to the rear bracket and the rear of the seat to the subrail. It would give both more leg room and more thigh support (by elevating the front of the seat by about 1 inch). You undoubtedly considered such a strategy. The fatal flaw?

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pay close attention to the inside rear mount. It takes the brunt of the force from the seat belt receptacle and transfers that load to the car.

The other three mounts just hold the seat and the occupant comfortably and contribute somewhat to crash protection. That right rear one, however, is critical that it not be compromised.

My plan is this: Grind off the rivets at the front of the track that hold the mounts to the track. Weld more material to the mounts to extend them. Using "button head" bolts of very high strength (and "Type C" nuts of equal strength), bolt the new, longer mounts to the track at the existing location on the track.
    -For the rear, modify the outer rear mount so that it sits 180 degrees from how it sits now. Bolt the mount, in a new hole if need be, to the existing track.
    -For the inside rear, I plan to remove the carpet and padding from my desired location, then drill through the body, and weld a thick metal plate on the backside, and weld a nut to that. Then bolt the inner rear mount in the new location.

I have yet to look under the car to determine if there is enough clearance in the area I wish to drill and weld. That could happen this weekend, but I don't know.

My goal is to go back 2 inches; this is a lot, since it accomodates your thighs only, it theoretically compensates for 6 or more inches in a person's body height.

One last thing, I need to relocate the airbag sensors (discussed above). I really don't think this will be a problem.

I've also considered if anything needs to be done with the seatbelt, but it looks like it won't be a problem.

Nate

19. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"102928)</div>
    So the 06s have been verified by Toyota to have elec seats? If so, I can't wait to find an 06 or later in a boneyard!

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    NOT verified. TBD.

Nate