1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planetary Drive type (Gen1, Gen2...)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SteveWlf, Nov 14, 2012.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just been getting a Hi Mileage Gen2 2007 up and running. Some serious body damage but repairable. It now appears the the Traction battery is in good condition and other systems seem to be working well. I can't get out for a road test because of the body damge but did drive it around and aroud my property for ab0ut a 1/4 mile. Still only get error code when i try to do an OBDII (prius aware) scan. That may come later when it runs long enough to do all the system scan checks.

Mechanically, everything seems to be OK. Intially I thought the engine was a bit noisy as compared to my Gen1 2002. I could definately hear this engine start and run. A lot of rumbling. However, now that I'm getting better aquinted with this car, I think it is the Synergy Drive as the drive and motors are interacting through the planetary gear drive.

I have watch a couple videos that explain this setup and think I understand the principal. However, I'm not clear if the Gen2 still has the chain or was it just the Gen1 that use this.

The reason I ask is because if there were any "weak" link, due to high mileage, I would think the chain drive would be problematic. This car has 286,000 miles and the sounds I could be a noisy chain, more likely that gear wear.

Just curious??

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very interesting and informative.. Now I'm anxious to get this car road ready enough to drive til I get the system to set some OBDII codes. If they are to be, then better I know where to look for the problems and solutions.

Due to the extremly high mileage, I might keep an eye out for a complete low mileage ICE and tranny for a quicker swap-out. Haven't done any compression test yet but might do that shortly now that I can keep it running long enough to get the temp. up. (sorry, this thinking out loud!)

Steve

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Steve when you say you are going to do a compression check do you mean a check at the plugs with the engine spinning or compressed air into the cylinders to check for blow by ect. The reason I ask "I have not done this myself" is you may get some misleading readings using the engine spinning method. The reasons for this are:-

(1) The engine is an Atkinson cycle engine (some of the compression stroke is used to push mixture back into the intake manifold "inlet valve closes very late" on compression stroke). The theoretical compression ratio is 13/1, it,s running compression ratio is between 8.5/9 to 1 dependent on valve timing.
    (2) The engine is not turned over by a normal starter motor at 200/300 rpm, but spun up to 1500 rpm by MG1 in the transmission then the ECU checks for oil pressure before giving fuel and ignition spark. If the engine does not start or a misfire is detected the ECU will through a fault code. The engine spins up in 250 mil/sec.

nh7o likes this.
  5. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm only suggesting I will determine the condtion of this extremely high mileage engine with a "routine" compression test as outlined on page EM-3 of the Gen1 manual (I don't have access to the Gen2 manual but this is the same 1.5L engine). Someone with access to the Gen 2 manual might want to Chime in here, but here is some general info from manual on the compression test.

(it doesn't state this but normal automotive procedures, you warm up engine and the remove all spark plugs and do you compression test while the engine is still warm.)

a) Insert a compression gauge into the spark plug hole.

b) Fully open the throttle.

c) While cranking the engine, measure the compression pressure.

It also states that the "engine speed is automatically controlled at 250 RPM..."

For the benefit of those who don't have access to the manual, the procedure is pretty much the same an oridnary engine. Normal compression 106 PSI, Min. 77 PSI, Diff. between cylinders 14 PSI or less.

Steve

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    286,000 miles is not that high for a prius?!
    i mean with a prius the ICE will have spin a lot les then with a 286,000 miles normal ICE car.

btw how do you crank the HSD ice?

7. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Old habit form conventional ICE days. When want to determine the condition of a older OEM engine, I take compression readings as a reference, from which I can generally tell if it needs valve work or rings or both. (use a method of "dry compression and wet compresstion tests".

Haven't tried it yet and the manual doesn't say. But I think I would remove all the plugs, intall the compression gauge in first cylinder, turn on engine in normal fashion, let crank monmentarily, turn off and read gauge and move to next cylinder, etc... Gauge has a check valve so only a couple revolutions is all you need.

The Prius ICE ECU is smart but I doubt is will notice the plug wires and plugs have been pulled. Most likely it will stop spinning the engine as soon as it realizes it didn't start and that is all you need since it will turn 4.2 rev/sec.. Cranking longer than that won't hurt the gauge or effect the reading once the max reading is reached.

Steve

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You will have to open the throttle by hand as it is not connected to the pedal, and as I said previously the engine turns a lot faster than 250 rpm.

John (Britprius).

9. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe I'm relying on the infor I am getting from the Gen1 manual. Is it possible/true that the Gen1 used a ICE conventional starter while the Gen2 uses the MG1. I think I remember reading that someplace on here.

Here to learn, "Not to Burn!"!

Steve

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not possible. The I and II both use MG1 to start the car. The drivetrains are nearly identical between the two. If you did read that somewhere, it was wrong. There is a lot of misinformation out there.

Britprius likes this.