1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planning another 1,000 mile tank

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Aug 2, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Tonight I'm going to do some simple tests to see if our 2003 Prius can do 1,000 miles on a single tank. There is no point or knowledge to be gained by doing a whole tank covering 1,000 miles. Really, nothing to learn and my existing data suggests it won't, at least using indicated miles.

My car has oversized, front tires, 6% over-drive. Tonight I'll map the boundary, how close this 10 year old car can come to a 1,000 mile tank.

Bob Wilson

scotman27 likes this.
  2. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    bob,
    there is a point to doing what you are about to attempt. People are buying new cars that get 60 mpg for close to 30k which is not saving them money due to the payments. and here you are taking a car thats 10 years old and getting 60 mpg, and are going to attempt a 1000 mile fuel range using different techniques and tire sizes and skills and if successful, or darn close to it, its simply amazing. and what do these cars cost. a gen 1(which i have) from my area, around 3k to 6k. a heck of alot cheaper than 30k plus and no $500 a month car payments. You learn that you dont need a 30k car to get what you want, which is better range and mileage. and proves that even an original design can be perfected and changed to suit fuel economy thats better than any expensive hybrid on your local lot.

what your doing is amazing and admirable. I wish you the best of luck.

God speed

p.s. I want to know what your doing to hit 60 mpg. the highest i get is 52 avg mpg right now the prius display is at 47.8 but my scangauge shows going to and from work about 51-52 each time( Scangauge Avg Mpg resets itself each time i turn the key off, it does mpg by each trip)

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Getting 52 MPG year-by-year is pretty much what we're getting in ordinary driving. One of the things fuelly.com and Fuel Economy can do is give a range of what people using this car for transportation are getting. The mileage I'm contemplating is not practical in most of the USA.

So let's see what I was able to do tonight using 'efficient driving' protocol:
    [​IMG]

GPS data:
    [​IMG]
    So what we have is:
    • (34.8 GPS miles / 33.0 indicated miles) = 105.4% correction
    • 74.4 indicated MPG * 105.4% = 82.6 MPG true
    • 82.6 MPG * 11.6 gallon usable = 958.16 miles :: I need an extra 4.2% improvement
    Based upon these numbers I would come in 42 miles short but there are several option to improve performance:
    • use straight gas - instead of E10, the extra energy should give a mileage boost
    • lubricants - engine oil, transaxle
    • check wheel alignment and correct if any problem
    • air inlet block - reduced aero drag
    • aerodynamic mod - eliminate the curl behind the rear window
    • fully inflate tires + 10% - lower rolling drag
    • disable daylight running lights for lower overhead
    • moon wheel covers
    • install rear wheel well covers
    • increase 'laps' to further dilute the warm-up cost
    • reinstall engine coolant hack to reduce warm-up costs
    • use block heater on first trip of the morning
    • use transaxle heater on first trip of the morning
    The car is not ready, yet, but with some prep, it looks like 1000 miles is possible.

Bob Wilson

4. w4y

w4y Junior Member

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No, let's let that sleeping dog lie.

I don't see your Prius model in your profile. Do you have an NHW11 or a different Prius model?

Bob Wilson