1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planning on purchasing a Prius by the end of this week, need advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by popvldc, Jan 26, 2016.

1. popvldc

popvldc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a 2012 Prius that caught my eye on the cars com website. It has the right amount of miles, trim level, passed carfax, and the price looks good. It's up for sale at an independent car lot that looks to have good reviews online. I would be driving 1.5hr away to check it out and wanted to get an idea on what I should plan for that day.

I have a loan preapproved already and just to need to provide the lender with seller and insurance info to finalize the deal. I would like to take it to an independent mechanic to check for possible accidents that might not have been reported or disclosed as well as any major defects or repairs that need to be done.

1. Should I take it to a body or frame shop to identify signs of body work or prior accident damage? Should I take it to a toyota dealership or find a toyota independent mechanic? I'm thinking I need to call ahead this week and make an appointment for the same day I'm going to be in the area so I don't have to go back for another visit

2. Do I try to negotiate the price first before going to the mechanics/body shop or take it to get checked out beforehand?

3. I'm still confused on the manufacturer warranty. The car has less than 65,000 miles, is the warranty transferable or do I need to buy from a toyota dealership for this to happen?

Any other tips would be appreciated!

2. solrunner

solrunner Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main warranty and power train warranties end at 30,000 and 60,000 mi if I'm not mistaken. The only warranty left is on the hybrid battery system which varies by state. I think it's about 120,000 mi where i am.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    carb states get 10/150, all others 8/100 on the hybrid components. maybe have it checked out at a toyota dealer, after you come to an agreement on price. ask them if it should be examined by a body shop.
    i like to reset the average mpg meter and take it for a good long drive under varied conditions, to see how it's performing.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should tell us your state...if a CARB state you probably want to make it is qualified for CARB by Toyota. For instance if you purchase a Va. 2012 in MD Toyota may disqulaify the extended warranty.

5. PR1U$

PR1U$ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Taking it to a body shop and a mechanic is a good idea. A couple of things to look for, if you are worried about it being in an accident is to look at the plastic trim pieces around outside of the windows. Do they have any paint on them? You have to look close and at the corners of the plastic trim pieces. This is a sure sign of a repaint. Also, look down the side of the car. The more light you have the better. If you can find a really sunny day in the afternoon and face the side of the car you are looking at toward the sun and then look down the side of the car, do you see a color difference or is a panel shinier than the others. Do you see any wavy panels? Does the clear coat have a different texture than the rest of the car? Don't be afraid to walk around several times squatting and standing, getting different angles of the car. Now keep in mind, plastic bumpers have a tenancy to have a slight color difference from the rest of the car, from the factory, but only a slight difference. Open all the doors and hood, look for any paint lines or overspray. Look under the car, front back and sides. Look under the hood. Do you see any metal parts that look like they have been bent? Also, a car that is 4 years old should have a few minor scratches and or dings. If it doesn't I might be concerned. Please don't take my advice as a way to substitute a professional to take a look at your potential new car. I give this advice to save yourself some time and money at looking at a car that you wouldn't want. If your inspection passes, then I would take it to a professional to look deeper into it. Happy car buying.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    make sure the car has 2 fobs and the retractable cover.

Redpoint5 likes this.
  7. popvldc

popvldc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you clarify this? If a prius is registered and purchased in a non-carb state and I want to register it in a carb state, that means I get the non-carb state hybrid warranty (8/100) or carb state (10/150) warranty?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct, you said it right. Also matters when the state joined CARB so like DE just joined in 2014. In reality the batts have been fairly reliable, but seems like there is a batch that start going bad at 8-yrs old (2007's going now 2008 later this year presumably). So we don't really even know if the Gen3 (2010+) will show the same % batt fails as Gen2, the Gen2 we have no official numbers anyways..

See-
    CARB Warranty Ins-and-Outs (and In-Out-Ins) | PriusChat

#8 wjtracy, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  9. popvldc

popvldc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the link, but really, were talking about the hybrid battery replacement and an additional 2 years/50,000 mile warranty difference? If you can get a good deal on purchasing a prius in a non-carb state does it really make a difference where it was bought and registered? Unless there are other things (not including the battery) to consider as part of the hybrid system, is this going to be a big factor in deciding whether to purchase in a non-car vs. carb state.

#9 popvldc, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I you spot paint overspray, don't immediately dismiss the car. Just bear it in mind, ask more questions, investigate further. If the seller is evasive on the subject, then I do not know.

PR1U$ likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Up to you...I only bring it to your attention, at your request for comments. You could opt for the car anyways, maybe point this out to seller for discount, and also some decent chance Toyota would help you out even if out of warranty. Although take a look at the warranty book.

I do think the CARB warranty is a decent incentive...maybe $500-$1000 bucks if you had to put a number on it. Nice to have that extra coverage because some I do not know maybe 5% of Prii do need batt replaced between 8 and 10 years.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very important. And test both fobs separately with the keyless entry and keyless ignition. Put the other key far away from the car when testing. These keys cost about $350 each.

13. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For those looking to buy a used Prius; test the mechanical key too. My used car came with 1 working remote fob, but the mechanical key belonged to a different vehicle. It had been reprogrammed to work with my car. Fortunately I was able to track down the original owner and get the 2 original keys.

Did you get the car? What did the mechanic say?

Rebound likes this.