1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planning to buy a Gen3 - pre-purchase inspection?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Dave Lane, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Dave Lane

Dave Lane New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am planning to take the plunge and buy a Gen3 (sell my RAV4). I have read quite a few messages on the forum about the various problems people can have with them, but also know most people have few or no issues with them (forums tend to draw out vocal problems!). I test drove a friends Gen2 (purchased new by him) with 375,000 km on it (not for sale as it's his winter "junker" now that he has a Tesla 3) and he has had NO issues with it - all original hybrid components.

I intend to have any that I am interested in buying inspected by a mechanic, likely my local Toyota dealer. My question is, can they do any tests that test the main hybrid battery and other hybrid systems? When they check for codes, can they see any past codes that may have been cleared? Can dealers (legally) look up a vehicles maintenance history?

There are very few on the market here (only 2 Gen3's province wide!) so choice is limited - I may have to be patient to find some in the year/model/price range desired.

Thanks,

Dave

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    they can do a lot of testing, but they can't tell you any more about the hybrid battery other than its current condition, which won't help with tomorrows condition.

the big thing on a 2010 is the egr circuit. if it hasn't been cleaned, depending on mileage, you could have a potential head gasket issue.
    also the pistons and rings are subject to clogging and oil burning.

but you're right, many have no issues at all, although they might have some egr clogging without knowing it.

in the u.s., you can look up dealer maintenance on the toyota owners sight, as well as completed recalls.

all the best!(y)

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Contact your local Toyota dealer and talk to them about your concerns, they may be able to hook you up with a cream puff.

4. Dave Lane

Dave Lane New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for your input. The one I was going to look at is gone, so will have to wait for another one to come on the market in my year range.

--- Dave

bisco likes this.
  5. Dave Lane

Dave Lane New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    i ended up buying a 2018 Touring! Pick it up on Monday!

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats, avoided the EGR and IM mayhem altogether. Georgina will be proud of you.

Dave Lane likes this.
  7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One of my local dealers only has one Prius in stock, is it just my area of the country or maybe the dealership.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well right now, new car, yeah. And they redesigned the EGR so down the road, maybe. Still, It'd be really interesting to hear from a few fourth gen owners, say getting up to 100K miles, who've lifted off the throttle body, see what's below, and/or checked the EGR connector pipe.

Pretty much off-topic, I appreciate.

Bay Stater likes this.