1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plant closings, job cuts loom at Ford

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by VaPrius, Jan 23, 2006.

1. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ford has refused to release details of the plan, dubbed the "Way Forward," which also is expected to include product changes and cuts to Ford's salaried ranks. Ford has about 87,000 hourly workers and 35,000 salaried workers in North America.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/23/ford.rest...g.ap/index.html

The company suffered its 10th straight year of market share losses in the United States in 2005, and for the first time in 19 years, Ford lost its crown as America's best-selling brand to GM's Chevrolet.

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sad News

I haven't owned Detroit Iron in years; Toyota and Honda have been making the kind of cars I want.

It's amazing that management of the US manufacturers hasn't seen the train heading straight toward them for the past 30 years and made some changes to produce a condensed line of quality cars instead of all the "shared body" junk they've been selling.

It's a shame that our auto manufacturers didn't take Lee Iacocca's famous advice to "lead, follow or get out of the way". They didn't lead, they did a lousy job of following and unfortunately it's time for another American industry to get out of the way.

3. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

That is quite sad for the communities that will be undoubtedly affected by this.

Technologically, Ford is in a much better place than GM or DCX in terms of their hybrid technology. Hopefully, after the painful reorganization, they will continue to make hybrid a priority.

4. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very Sad News!
    I agree; my father owned NOTHING but Ford Motor Company products his entire life. That's all I owned until the middle 1980's when I purchased an Acura Legend. The rest is history and I feel somewhat badly that I changed, but Honda and Toyota have produced the products that I want. :( I do own a 2002 retro Ford Thunderbird :) but that's pretty much my "toy" and "hobby" car. My Acura MDX and Prius are my daily drives. B)

I honestly do hope Ford succeeds and I can purchase one of their upcoming hybrids in the future.

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hopefully Mark Fields can get the ship righted at Ford. I give Bill Ford credit for realizing he can't do it, and bringing in someone who can. This is another sad day for the United States, and changes like this will continue to erode our standard of living.

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With all the bad news at GM and Ford, it makes me wonder, How is Chrysler doing? As an old Mopar man (from my youth, I should have kept my Duster and Roadrunner LOL) I wonder how things are going at Chrysler? Anybody got the inside scoop?

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    DCX is going to hit the wall. DCX has thousands of vehicles stored in fields in Michigan and Ohio and they are pressuring dealers to take them off their hands. Never a good situation in the long term.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think Ford realizes that continuing to crank out products that no one wants is not where its at. i think they are going in the right direction but simply dont have enough product developed to keep everyone working. i cant help but think that their only hybrid product has told them that they need to address it further. they cannot continue to ignore what Toyota and honda are doing in the pasenger car area.