1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plasma

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by John Ramos, Aug 7, 2016.

1. John Ramos

John Ramos New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    s-l500 (2).jpg
    Anybody tried these and know anything about them? On eBay

OKADA PROJECTS PLASMA DIRECT for PRIUS Alpha ZVW40/41W 2ZR-FXE SD204091R

I guess the Alpha is the same as the V...

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is it, some sort of power or gas saving gizmo?

3. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OKADAPROJECTS | PLASMA DIRECT

I'd like to see independent reviews of this in real world driving conditions. Is it hard on spark plugs?

Bill the Engineer

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you, i'm guessing no benefit.

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Over the years I have found these things to do nothing

6. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The actual effect of these devices is quite substantial, but a bit unexpected. When purchased, significant monetary gains result to the seller, while buyer reduces available currency for other uses.

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    99.9% of these types of gadgets are useless these days - unlike maybe in the '60s/'70s and earlier when some gadgets actually did something - like electronic ignition, and many did nothing. Manufacturers would use them if they were to help emissions or fuel efficiency. You'd be better spending your $1000 on something else. There are no technical details given either.

TOYOTA has provided in the Prius one of the most thermally efficient engines presently on sale. It also integrates with quite complex computer technology running not just the engine but the entire car. Meddling with it could cause significant $$$ problems.

There is a risk that adding something could void your warranty, or cause it to fail emissions or CAFE tests.

Montgomery likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I read their description: OKADAPROJECTS | PLASMA DIRECT

Apparently they claim it increases the current and provided multiple ignition sparks. It begs the question of what is the stock igniter doing?

The second problem is their own claim to increase the current as this will increase the temperature of the stock plug and possibly the coil.

There are marginal performance engines where this may be useful. However, the Prius is unique in how it under-rates the existing engine compared to the gas-only version of the same engine block and parts. For example, the maximum, 5200 rpm, is so slow, I don't see how the engine is ever in an operating mode where these parts might have a measurable effect.

From this engineer's view, it is perhaps a useful product but not really solving any sort of problem found in Prius.

Bob Wilson

#8 bwilson4web, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  9. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In engineering terms:

They are achieving the higher spike due to an under-damped condition causing an oscillation. That makes the initial spike higher, but causes an undesirable pulsing in the discharge which may cause an increase in unwanted exhaust emissions. Toyota's is critically damped and provides an smooth uninterrupted surge of power.

Bill the Engineer

Montgomery likes this.
  10. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With the Prius engine, if it ain't broke.....................................

11. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I totally agree. I once owned a 69 Cali-Bug (slammed, modded engine,etc). When I first started to upgrade the engine from stock, I was at a swap meet and saw this guy with a similar get up like the one above. I bought it after watching his very impressive "demonstration". What a waste! Pre-ignition and timing nightmares ensued!! What finally made my engine kick butt was a complete swap of the original distributor with an electronic distributor, an electrical coil, high performance spark plug wires and high end spark plugs. Then I switched to a dual port intake manifold and dual carbs. Then I could beat V8 engines!! This was my first brain moment that told me in order to make an engine faster, you do have to make major changes. Just swapping out custom air filters and electronic gizmos won't produce the results one may want. You don't want to know how much money the swap meet guy made off me!!

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had a 1500 cc, VW microbus. All I did was a centrifical advance distributor and headers for fuel efficiency.

Bob Wilson

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My biggest mod was a Pass Master. It's basically a switch, open, unless a vacuum is applied. Spliced into the power lead to the AC compressor, and the vacuum hose connected to the intake manifold, it cuts power to the compressor during heavy acceleration. Used on a string of Accords.

Pass Master.jpg