1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic covers on the wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rudyp, Jun 4, 2006.

1. rudyp

rudyp Junior Member

Did anyone notice the wheels have plastic covers on them that come off. Why are they there? anyone know?
    They cover the aluminum wheels , I took mine off and the car looks so different. I'm confussed.
    Thanks
    Rudy

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rudy, do a search for threads on "wheel trim/rings" Most feel that they are there to improve the mileage but some of us have removed them with no impact on mileage.

Welcome!

3. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

Their a great waste of petro-chemicals and also look ugleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :p .

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I took mine off too (after waiting a year). Some keep them on as they help to prevent scratches on the wheel itself when hitting a curb.

5. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rudyp @ Jun 4 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]265444[/snapback]</div>
    and if you look on the energy screen of the info display, you will see that the little wheels on the car do NOT have the trim rings. Take them off - be wild - go ringless!

6. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took mine off the night I got the car.

A few days later I went to a hybrid workshop at my dealer where that very question was asked.

Why oh why are there those ugly plastic wheel trim rings?

The guy didn't know but another PriusChatter who was also at the workshop piped up and said he had heard that they reduced the noise in the wheel well. And since noise = energy, the rings were essentially cutting down on energy loss.

Whether or not it is a significant energy loss is another issue.
    It's not.

My wheel trim rings are still off.

7. jmccord

jmccord New Member

When I bought my car the dealer I asked said the rings were there to protect the alloy wheels from scratches.
    Mine are now hanging in the garage. B)

8. Capt132

Capt132 New Member

I had my car for about 1 month. I took a trim ring off just to look behind them and what do you think I saw? CORROSION! Already starting because all the dirt and road crap gets behind the plastic ring and sits against the expensive aluminum mag wheel. I took the rings off. There is absolutely NO difference in MPG. I think some people are way too obsessed with keeping a car bone stock. Toyota wasted $$ on those cheap, cheesy trim rings. Hope this helps. B)

9. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

....same as above above, after reading about it here took the rings off day two, my kids thought the car looked "tight" , the rings now hang in the garage ....

10. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 4 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]265567[/snapback]</div>
    Mine are in storage for hiding the scuff marks when I go to sell or trade :D

11. Djsight

Djsight New Member

I lost 20 MPG after taking them off.....

No, but really, they make the wheels look so small. If your not going to get new wheels, by all means take them off.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They are there so you will have something else to hang in your garage.

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Jun 4 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]265578[/snapback]</div>
    Woo Hoo! I went Ringless Baby. Im free, its like eating a York Pepermint Patty!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

For me, the ringless wheels look rough, unfinished. With the rings on they look high tech.

15. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jun 5 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]266364[/snapback]</div>

...right next to my dealership license plate frames... they should know advertising ain't free! ;)

16. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the wheels look soooooo much better without the plastic rings on them....but I, too, am afraid that if I remove them, I'll scratch the alloy wheels with some curb rash. What should I do?

Just this weekend, had a close call with a curb in DC, trying to avoid a wayward pedestrian--didn't scratch anything...guess I should just take them off and get over it?

One more thing--just received my BT Chassis Stiffening Plate yesterday---can I really slide under the car and install it myself? It seems so low, I don't see how my nose won't scrape the underbelly--and no, my nose isn't that big.

17. tmash

tmash New Member

Does anyone have before and after pictures of the wheel rings? This is the first I have heard of them. I am getting my Prius in the next few weeks and am interested in what you guys are talking about. Thanks!

18. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tmash @ Jun 6 2006, 07:51 AM) [snapback]266565[/snapback]</div>
    photos here
    http://darelldd.com/ev/prius_wheel_trim.htm

19. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Jun 6 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]266977[/snapback]</div>
    Hey! I was just coming here to add that! :) Funny thing - I made that page because nobody else seemed to have done it!

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've posted this elsewhere, but when I attended a dealer training event back in 10/2003 (Thanks Dianne!), the Toyota engineer answering the Q&A explained that the trim rings accomplish the following:

1. Reduced wind resistance
    2. Reduced unsprung weight compared to solid alloy in it's place - lighter rims while still accomplishing #1
    3. Protect the rims, if you scuff a curb, you only need to replace the trim ring rather than repair/replace the rim.

Incidentlally, two of mine are cracked for one reason or another - one I think from a tire monkey, and one from failing to avoid a retread on the road. Hit a few other parts too, but only left rubber marks there - but ended up slightly cracking the trim ring. Ironically, I've got some damage on the alloy itself where the curb or stone just missed the trim ring and hit the rim itself.

FYI - the 16" rims also use plastic covers AFAIK.