1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic Panel Under Dash?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rstark18, Feb 27, 2011.

1. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Among the other million or so creaks and rattles my Prius makes I've been noticing a new one. I narrowed this one down to a black panel directly under the passenger side dash (under the glovebox). This panel is so loose and poorly fitted that gently tapping it makes a rattle noise. I removed and replaced it to make sure it was as secure as possible within it's design but it's still very loose. Anyone else panel do this?

2. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't be afraid to use foam or other sound deadening materials.

I had a BMW with an inner-dashboard noise that drove me nuts all winter until Spring time came and I finally decided to bite the bullet and remove the whole thing. About 5 hours later, I had taken it down, isolated the rattle (a broken plastic clip securing a harness running along the firewall) and repaired it with a stretch of foam pipe wrap. Another 4 hours and I had it all together never to hear the noise again. The Prius should be much easier to take care of by comparison

Good luck..

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only rattles i've had are loose stuf i've left laying around in bins and cupholders etc.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's what some of us Gen III owners are saying as well, then why are you going around blasting the Gen III for having bad interior? Aren't there a number of complaints about the Gen II being a rattler?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whatreyou, trolling for evpv?:D never had a rattle in my 04 or 08. seems like a lot more complaints about the gen III but perhaps i'm misremembering.:rolleyes:

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    He's paying me big money but I'm not going any further :D The point is there are Gen III non-rattlers just as there are Gen II rattlers. I would caution against drawing any conclusion from a message board, which tends to attract complaints. The Gen III is much more mainstream, hence more new buyers compared to the Gen II and their complaints. Maybe Toyota did downgrade the interior quality construction-wise in the Gen III just as they did with the NAV screen (which results in a larger percentage of rattlers), but we don't know this from reading the complaints alone.

7. Beauregard

Beauregard Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    In eleven months and 11k miles of driving over all types of roads and temperatures our Prius has no rattles at all. (Except for the minor ones I created with my unsecured stuff.)

8. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That panel on my '11 is extremely loose fitting also, it seems to be on the verge of falling down no matter how I try to wedge it in.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My Prius was delivered with that panel barely hanging on. I noticed it the first time I sat in the passenger seat to load up the glove box. Took a while to get it "secure" (not really secure).

10. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i'm glad i'm not the only one with that panel below the glove box issue. how that got past quality control in Japan, i'll never know.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by the dealer from installing/removing LoJack (or their own tracking device). Some dealers (particularly Lexus) pre-install LoJack on all their vehicles and attempt to get the customers to sign up during negotiation. It'd be taken out during prep if the customer declines.

12. RamRam

RamRam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I had the dealer replace it with one which fit. Thge dealer first tried placing foam on top, but it was clear the thing had to be replaced. It is one less rattle, but the other rattles have lots of siblings. I plan to return to the dealer a few more times to address the dash rattles we all seem to have. My car was built Dec. 09. Aside from the rattles, I like the car.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes mine is the same way. I "fixed" it by putting some foam pieces under it, it's still a little loose but it no longer rattles.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As part of my adventures in changing the cabin air filter I managed to completely remove the lower plastic panel. It is attached only by the wire to the small amber light. I looked around but haven't found any guidance on how to get this back in place. The long tab on the back of the panel looks like it snaps in the square hole shown in "firewall" (pic 1). "panel" (pic 3)is a shot of the panel. The white spots are the insulation showing through the holes. The 3 hooks that appear to be my problem are at the top. "hook" (pic 2) is a close-up of the, well, hook.

At first I thought they were tabs that slipped into the slots in the bottom glove box frame. Now I believe they have to go over the bars then the panel is rotated back and snapped into the square hole.

If I'm correct, any helpful advice on how to do this is greatly appreciated. If I'm wrong, thank you for correcting me.

--
    For the longest time the panel was pretty much hanging loose. Pressure in the right place caused a buzzing or humming sound so I figured since it is warm I'd try reassembling the car. It appears that a number of these panels are not being fitted properly at the factory or the dealer (like me) is having a bugger of a time trying to replace them which explains some of the buzzes and rattles. firewall.jpg hook.jpg panel.jpg

15. Mailmandolin

Mailmandolin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am having trouble keeping the panel on. Is there a way to secure it? Since both my wife and I have long legs, we seem to dislodge the panel many times. Thanks for any answers.

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glue it on with clear RTV. Easy to remove if you want to later.

Mike

17. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That thing's always been loose for me. I've used velcro tape, double sided tape, foam tape, doesn't matter because just when I think I fixed the damn rattle, another one pops up...cheap plastics can't be fixed with tape, it's a Toyota in-house matter since they decided these crappy pieces were fine, and obviously it hasn't deterred people much based on sales figures...sad

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a certain Prius rattle plant and a semi quiet one then the non-rattle Prius plant. The 11th digit in the VIN number tell what plant/line it was built in. This is only the Liftback, 0=rattle, 1=kinda-quiet, 5= no=rattles.

Mike

19. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting. My VIN has the 5, and no rattles so far....in 8 months and 15k miles.

WE0H likes this.
  20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine also came from #5 called the Fugimatsu plant :) Zero rattles and appears to be put together well. Panels line up nice and so forth ;) I was thrilled to find out is was made in that plant even before it hit the shores of Oregon [​IMG]

Mike