1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic Wheel Rims

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Larry_R, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Getting a new Prius - and my wife and I are divided (as usual) over whether to keep or remove the plastic wheel rings. Your comments? Appreciated.
    BTW - I want to take them off, my wife says "no." Hmm. . .

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 14 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]461776[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed that, in Weird Al Yankovich's video, "White & Nerdy", his Prius has the wheel rings.

If it's good enough for Al, it's good enough for me :D

3. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 14 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]461776[/snapback]</div>

show her both ways.... the wheels really do look better with them off (IMO)..... but you know what they say "when mama ain't happy.... NOONE is happy")

seriously though... pull off one on one side of the car and have her see both "next" to each other.... they are easily put back on!

p.s. in my list of mods..... those are in chonological order.... notice what's first????????????????

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I decided to take off the wheel rings because i like the look better without 'em. It's mainly personal preference. You should consider keeping them on if you or your wife have to parallel park frequently, since it's better to scrape the plastic ring than the wheel.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 14 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]461781[/snapback]</div>
    Even without parallel parking you might tend to have curbs and such jump out in front of you. They do me, which is why I've left the trim rings on. I have a couple of scratches already, and the wheels are intact.

6. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Scraping the plastic - what a good idea! Yeah - hadn't thought of that. thanx for the heads-up!

Hoping for the new car before July - however. . . . . . . .

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toss them!

(They fly pretty darn far!)

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Keep them.

They're good for adding mooncaps later on.

9. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 14 2007, 02:00 PM) [snapback]461845[/snapback]</div>

Don't use 'em as frisbees, though. They hurt to catch!

10. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My best friend just got a Prius and took them off. He said that he liked the look of it without them and felt that it makes his Prius rims look more like the ones on my Touring edition.

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ Jun 14 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]461780[/snapback]</div>
    Better yet, take both off on one side and leave both on on the opposite side . . . then you both can have it your way. :lol:
    You may also come to discover which way you both really like it . . . or notice, aesthetically, it really doesn't make much difference to either of you.

12. 007Prius

007Prius New Member

I took them off, made the wheels look small, now they look nice and aggressive B)

13. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Toss-keep-toss-keep. . . . .um, OK,I'm getting the picture.

When I saw the Prius on the dealer lot I thought that the plastic somehow looked a tad "cheap," so I may rip them off, at least for awhile. If dah wife gets upset - well, back to the ole plastic rims! (grin)

Whoever was the first to post: "when Momma's unhappy, EV-body's unhappy" was a truly inspired person.

14. Philmo

Philmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I took one off, stepped back and had a long look at the car with one on and one off and wondered why the rims would have been added in the first place. (Extra parts cost money.) Two possible answers: one, protection, already posted here; two, more intriguing, is that there clearly is an aerodynamic difference between the smoother side presented with the rings than without. Enough to make a mileage difference? Anybody have any insights here? I like 'em better off, but I bought the car for MPG, not PMP (pimp).

15. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like the look of the wheels better with the trim rings off.

I've started to notice a fair number of Prius running around with one trim ring missing. So if there is anyone in the DC area missing one, let me know, I have four of them sitting in my basement. They're not new, but each one is in pretty good shape.

16. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The trim rings are part of the protective film wrapping, the clear plastic over the upholstry dash and outside on the paint. The dealer is supposed to peel off all the protective coverings before you take delivery.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Jun 24 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]467429[/snapback]</div>
    Seems to me that once one is missing, it would become a No Brainer. Mine are all off, in the garrage, with only 2 miles on them. If I scratch the rims too badly on curbs, I can always put them back on with the moon hubcaps added.

Maybe I should put them back on for tomorrow and see if I can up my MPG just a little though improved aerodynamics.

17. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought they might look better hanging on the garage wall, than actually on the car. I was right!

18. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< A matter of personal preference. I tried both ways and prefer the wheel covers looks. Here are comparison photos....

[attachmentid=9241]
    [attachmentid=9242]
    [attachmentid=9243]
    [attachmentid=9244]

Attached Files:

19. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jun 26 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]468381[/snapback]</div>
    That is a nice looking ride. I agree, I like the Touring Rims better with the hubcaps on. But I think the OP is referring to the Non Touring rims that have trim rings, not hub caps.

20. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This may be a dumb question, but how do you get the trimrings off? I started to remove mine using the prybar end of the tire wrench, but it looked like they might break before coming off. Do not want that, as I intend to use them for moon disks.