1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Platinum Extra Care Service Agreement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pietro, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Pietro

Pietro New Member

Greetings All,
    I bought my '08 package 6 yesterday and received a fair amount of pressure to purchase the "Platinum Extra Care Vehicle Service Agreement" for $990 for 7 years coverage. My salesguy was "shocked" i didn't purchase the plan. After a while he said i had 30 days to decide (after another sales person said i had to purchase it right away). So what's the deal? I was told the parts listed in black in the brochure are covered by the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty (the brochure calls these parts the Gold Plan) and parts right under the black listed in red were were only covered by purchasing the Platinum plan. The brochure has Toyota Financial Services on the cover. Can someone give me some guidance?
    Thank you

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's actually a pretty darn good price from a dealer. It's the same price that the PriusChat store sells it for, but here the profit goes to this site instead of lining your dealer's pocket.

You actually have 3yr/36k to decide if you want to purchase...there are a couple minor benefits of purchasing early...better rental car coverage if your car ends up stuck at the dealership...and some other minor thing...maybe a longer towing range or something.

Some people buy it, some don't...you're gambling a little either way. Toyota pretty much has worked the kinks out of the Prius and the likelyhood that something not covered by warranty goes out within the 7/100k period is pretty small. But if something does, like the multi-display or transaxle (not part of the hybrid system) outside of the 3/36k warranty then you may have a very very expensive repair on your own dime.

Update....the 3rd or 4th post in that thread I linked I posted the added benefits in the first 3/36 over the basic warranty. They are:
    a)Transportation assistance: if your vehicle has warranteeable repairs that'll take more than a day to complete or get parts in, the new car warranty just says that the dealership has to provide transportation assistance (doesn't say what kind, so it could just be a courtesy van, or a loaner, or they could pay for a rental...). The Toyota Extra Care provides a set dollar amount ($50/day) with a limit on how many days (5 per repair visit).

B) Dislocation benefit: should your car need repairs for more than one day, while you're more than 150 miles from your home, the Toyota Extra Care provides $100/day for food/lodging, up to 5 days over the lifetime of the Toyota Extra Care agreement. I haven't seen this offered in the basic bumper to bumper new car warranty.

3. Pietro

Pietro New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pietro @ Oct 22 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]529098[/snapback]</div>
    You seem a knowledgeable guy Efusco, so this Platinum plan actually covers parts the 3 year one doesn't? I find the whole Gold/ Platinum plan thing confusing and with the pressure i tend to disbelieve. Why the pressure? From a CARMAX no less.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pietro @ Oct 22 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]529130[/snapback]</div>
    AFAIK there are no additional parts covered, it's just that they're covered for a longer time.
    Also, only the Platinum warranty works for the Prius.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 22 2007, 08:13 PM) [snapback]529135[/snapback]</div>
    That used to be the case, but nowadays more options are available. Go to the Toyota Financial Services Vehicle Protection Plans web page for specifics.