1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Platinum Plan

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by whbjr, Apr 12, 2009.

1. whbjr

whbjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just purchased my 09 Pruis. I am very excited. I have one question - I was offered the Platinum 7 yr/ 100000 mile extended warranty for $1799. I have seen other prices talked about in posts.
    I also read that the PriusChat store sold this as well but could not find it.
    Any suggestions? Is this a good thing to purchase? Is the price seemily reasonable?
    Thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whether to get the extended warranty is up to you.

I personally think it's a good insurance buy at the PriusChat/WarrantyShack.com price of $1055 for Toyota's best and longest extended warranty - Toyota Extra Care Platinum Plan 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 deductible. But I think it's wise to wait until you approach the 3 years or 36,000 miles mark before you decide whether to get it. That way you'll have lots of experience with your Prius and be better informed as to (1) whether you think you should buy an extended warranty, and (2) which of the several extended warranties to get in terms of years and miles to match your driving pattern, as you can save hundreds of dollars more by getting the Platinum Plan with fewer maximum years and/or mileage.

In any event, here's the link to buy the extended warranty from PriusChat/WarrantyShack.com:

Welcome! | WarrantyShack

Toyota Extended Warranty Quote Request | WarrantyShack

And here's all the contact info for Troy who is the WarrantyShack representative to deal with:

Troy Dietrich
    Toyota of Greenfield / WarrantyShack.com

Phone: (413) 772-0231 (Dealer Switchboard; can ask to page Troy)

Phone: (413) 772-0989 (Direct Line)

EMail: [email protected]

EMail: [email protected]

MAKE SURE TO CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER FOR REPLIES FROM TROY.

PriusChat Screen/User/Member Name: TOG

Congrats and good luck.

4. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks for the links, Boo. The older ones haven't worked for me.

I am a little worried however, since the Warranty Shack links are not secure sockets (https). I'll probably contact Troy directly when I'm ready. I don't like the ideal of sending my personal info and VIN number over a non-secure web connection.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the warranty shack links or site was down for a while.

If you do contact Troy directly to buy the extended warranty or other product, make sure that you mention PriusChat (to help support this great site).

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Save your money. There's no car less in need of an extended warranty than a new 2009 Prius.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the part I bolded is true.

Now that I'm in my third year of ownership, and my net worth has declined significantly since October 2007, I'm actually leaning toward not getting the extended warranty when I approach the 3 year mark in February 2010, even though I still think that as insurance products go, it's a good buy.

If I had to guess now, I think that come February 2010 my calculus will be something like "Do I spend $1055 on an extended warranty or a moon roof ... extended warranty or moon roof ... extended warranty, moon roof ...?"