1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Platinum warranty and Carpool lane sticker

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hluedorf, Nov 9, 2005.

1. hluedorf

hluedorf Junior Member

I have a question.

I am thinking about buying a used 2004 Prius with Certified Platinum warranty and a carpool sticker (CA). Can someone let me know whether both of those services/features are transferable to me once I buy the car?

I am not sure whether the carpool lane sticker is car-specific or person-specific? Same goes for the Warranty.

The car has run 19k miles, is an excellent condition, and the seller wants $24800 for it, which is about $800 over blue-book private party price, however, given that it has the warranty, I am wondering whether the price is still ok? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Hoping to really spend some money on my commute (100miles every day) and do some good for the environment at the same time!

Thanks!

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What options does the car have? For that price, you could get a new 05 or 06 in some of the lesser packages.

I'm not sure about the warranty or car pool sticker.

Another thing to consider - Even if it's a higher end package, you still for only a few thousand more get a totally new car. Personally, I'd have a hard time saving $3k for a car with 19k miles. Now, if it's simply an issue of not being able to get a new one and not wanting to wait, then that's a bit of a different story, although personally, I'd probably wait. Just think - any extra money you spend on a new one will hold up in IT"s resale value.

3. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Additionaly, a new Prius aquired after Jan1 will probably qualify (depending on how early in the year you get it) for the $3,100 federal tax credit -- a fact the person selling it is probably very aware of if they are selling it with so few miles on it.

4. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good point! I forgot about that. They can probably sell theirs at that price, get a new 06 and with the tax credit end up exactly in the same spot, except with a few extra features and 0 miles instead of 19k.

5. mjw

mjw New Member

I believe the (CA DMV) sticker is car-specific, so it should go with the vehicle when sold. Might be worth confirming with the DMV, though.

6. stealth

stealth New Member

I've seen a couple Prius's being sold on eBay that advertised they came with the stickers so I would guess they are transferable but I agree you should check with the DMV.

I got the highest warrantee from the dealer (can't remember what it was called) and they told me it was transferable.

7. rustyj

rustyj New Member

In CA, the HOV sticker remains with the vehicle (it's tied to the VIN number of the car). Transferring the sticker to another car IS NOT an option.