1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Playing with modules

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vpoppv, Mar 29, 2016.

1. vpoppv

vpoppv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Suffering from ADD is a terrible thing when working on Prius batteries, I am finding out. A little background: I am a big Geo Metro fan, have owned 11 of them. I converted one to electric and commuted with it for a year and a half- that was fun! Then the chassis rotted out and I junked it. I was commuting every day with one of my Geos, about a year ago I was t-boned. The insurance company gave me around $2500 for it, so I bought a 2004 Prius with a bad battery. After talking him down to $2300, I drove it home (about 2 hours, trip meter said I got 48MPG avg??). Was surprised it could drive at all, especially for the price. So I did a little bit of research (not enough) and decided I was just too damn lazy to do what it takes to refurb the battery properly. All I did was pull it out, checked all the voltages, found two modules that were way off, and replaced them with ones on eBay for $25 each. I bled the two modules down until the voltages matched the rest of the pack (yeah, I know, I know, not the right way to do it). I was so happy with myself, patted myself on the back, smiled from ear to ear as I drove off with the red triangle of death gone.......for maybe 2 minutes.....:p Then I decided to get a little more serious and bought some cable thingy and a bluetooth thingy with some Techstream program that told me block 6 and block 8 are getting weak. Then I lost interest. That was almost a year ago. Well, I gotta do something with this car obviously. So I took out the battery yesterday and checked voltages again. The two modules I got from eBay are at 7.95 volts (one is in block 6, the other is in block 12). One module is at 6.22v in block 13. All other modules are between 7.88 and 7.90. So, although the Techstream info is from a year ago, and lots of things can happen, I find it odd that the dead cell was in a block that Techstream didn't identify. Also, I find it odd that it didn't flag the block with the higher voltage module (block 12) OR the block with the bad module (block 13). I ordered two "bad" modules on eBay yesterday (hey, they were cheap, and the seller claims they are at 7.29 and 7.12, so better than 6.22v). So now, I am wondering, since I KNOW I will be playing with this battery forever since I refuse to do it right and balance it, what should my first experiment be? My first thought is to take the good "buddy" module of the bad module from block 13 and pair it with the identical voltage module as the eBay buddy module at 7.90, so block 6 should be 2 known good modules at 7.90v. Now I don't know what to do with module 8 that Techstream thinks is weak, both voltages are at 7.88. And I don't know if I should mess with block 12 since it wasn't tagged by Techstream even though it has the 7.95v eBay module in it. For sure I will replace the bad module in block 13 with one of the ones I just bought on eBay, but I wonder if I should use both, or just replace the bad one? What would you guys do? I do have an Imax B6 lying around that I have no clue how to use.....

Catherine Kourouklis likes this.
  2. vpoppv

vpoppv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok, as short as I can ask. Assuming Techstream data is worthless, I should go by the only info I have: voltages. So currently :
    block 6 : 7.90v and 7.95v
    block 12: 7.90v and 7.95v.
    Block 13: 6.22v and 7.90v.
    All others showing 7.88-7.90v
    The plan:
    Make block 6 have two 7.90v modules together
    Make block 12 have two 7.95 modules together (since the two modules were purchased together, separate from pack)
    Make block 13 have 7.90v module paired with one of the two that I just bought from eBay, or should I just put the two coming from eBay together?
    Will it be happy with a block that is .05v higher than all the others?

3. vpoppv

vpoppv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Running please

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. vpoppv

vpoppv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No. When I was playing with Gen 1 modules years ago, I just used laptop chargers and such. Ideally I'd want to get what I've seen listed as the "Prolong" battery charger, but that doesn't seem suitable for module charging, and the price is a bit out of reach. It seems some form of charger rental program would be in order, judging by how many people are working on these batteries.

6. vpoppv

vpoppv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Cool! I recently applied to the OU PhD program!

7. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    That ADD must not be hurting you too much. I couldn't stand more school...

vpoppv likes this.
  8. vpoppv

vpoppv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well, it's in Special Education, soooooo kinda helps all around.