1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please add location to your profile!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by naterprius, May 4, 2004.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To All: Please add some sort of location to your description. It's really helpful for many topics. If you are worried about privacy, simply put "northern USA" or "Japan" or something like that. All too often we forget this is indeed the World Wide Web. There are so many things relevant to location like your climate, traffic conditions, fuel prices, Prius variant (Euro/ Asia whatever), Cellular providers, Navigation function, emmisions, (need I go on?).

AdminCoop (Danny), can you make location mandatory for profiles of future members? Perhaps a descriptor indicating that a general location is fine for those who are concerned about privacy can be included by that box.

City and State (Country) is ideal, but anything is helpful, even "USA."

Nate

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I second the motion! It would also help if the membership list could be searched my location.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree that it is definitely helpful to have Location part of your profile and the PC staff urges you to make it a part of yours. I'm interested to hear what the member's thoughts are about making it a required field vs privacy.

And I changed my username - get it right!! :lol:

Actually, PriusChat 2.0 (currently in Beta stages) will have a search function within the membership list so that you can search by location or any other field in the user profile.

4. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't see a problem if folks can put as much or little detail as they like.
    I remember when I did mine I first put in "SF Bay Area" until I had time to think about whether being more specific than that would be a problem ... later went back and changed it to "Berkeley, CA". People can always just go for a state or country ...

5. cybele

cybele New Member

Yes, at least state.

So many folks have questions about taxes or gas prices or dealerships.

Many of the answers can depend on where you live and it's great to be able to help out that much quicker instead of having to ask or giving provisional answers.

But I completely understand if some folks don't want to give too much information. State or in some cases area (like CA Bay Area) is reasonably anonymous.

6. shocker

shocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think if you make it "mandatory" then people who normally would not have filled this part in, due to personal security reasons, would just put anything and would not be honest.

If it remained "optional" then people may place it in or just state in their post where they are located when discussing something that may be geographically sensitive.

The people who are concerned about sercuirty probably wouldn't even enter these conversations so I feel that "mandatory" is a bit extreme.

7. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    agreed!
    mandatory will turn off folks you don't want to turn off, but people that are so into anonymity as to hide their city, state or country, .... well, they reduce the value of their own postings if what they're saying only has to do with their locale, and we don't know where "there" is!
    :)

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can't force people to give an honest answer, so mandatory would encourage false answers, and we'd have less information rather than more.

But I do think you ought to encourage people to give a location, being as general or specific as they are comfortable with, and point out to them that this information is helpful to all users of the forum.

9. cybele

cybele New Member

Danny, maybe you could put a little bit of explanation text in there next to the location field to tell the users that it's helpful to include at least their state.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just what I had in mind :)