1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please create a new forum for performance mods

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by knowledgeseeker, May 19, 2004.

1. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The targeted subjects would be mods such as replacement springs, shocks, anti-roll bars, wheels & tires (with regard to performance, not appearance), brake pads, etc. They might extend to engine and exhaust mods, sport seats (Recaro etc.), defeat switches for the stability control, etc. Also, comparisons with non-USA-spec cars, and info regarding availability in the USA/Canada of parts sold elsewhere (such as stiffer springs) would be germane. Perhaps this may apply in reverse, too, if the American cars are better in any way.

There seems to be no natural forum centered on these topics. And I'd much rather this material be posted to PriusChat (an excellent site :lol:) than to the Yahoo boards with their many annoyances.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I suggest getting another car, if you like Toyotas, say a Matrix or a Celica GTS, and playing around with that one. The Prius was not engineered as a performance car, but rather as a fuel efficient, ultra-low emission vehicle. It is meant to be driven conservatively, in a way compatible with high mpgs and incompatible with sporty or spirited driving.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually kinda agree on a Performance Mod forum - I believe it will definitely set PriusChat apart from other Prius-related sites and will add a new dimension to the Prius experience.

Interested in hearing more feedback on it...

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

danny - why not? what's the worst that could happen?

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think because these mods are available in Japan, it wouldn't hurt to have the forum. I may not agree with modding the exhaust or tuning our Prius as it sits, but not all will agree with me and they deserve a place to discuss it :) Perhaps the race spec Prius could be discussed there too?

-Rick

6. knowledgeseeker

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here are some of the reasons I'm interested in "performance mods":

1) Safety - Accident avoidance is a critical element of safety for car drivers in a world of SUV's. Consider what your options are if a car coming from a cross-street fails to stop on time and ends up in your path. The newer of our current pair of cars is a Passat V6 wagon, also in the mid-size category, and just a couple of $k more than a Prius with Nav. According to Consumer Reports, the VW Passat V6 sedan can execute an accident avoidance maneuver at 54.5 mph, while the Prius manages just 50.5. There could be a critical difference even in a 35-mph situation. Statistically, the safest subcompact seems to be the VW Jetta, known for its good handling. For a reference, see http://eetd.lbl.gov/EAP/teepa/pub.html (scroll down to "Vehicle Fuel Economy and Safety" and click on the link next to "Big and Bad: How the S.U.V. ran over automotive safety"; the link above it is interesting too).

2) Comfort (and perhaps good citizenship) - a car that leans a lot on turns tends to make many, including my wife and to some degree me, uncomfortable. When we commute together and I am driving my '99 Passat 4-cyl wagon (the car we are replacing), I have to drive somewhat slowly on the winding part of the trip. Cars sometimes line up behind us and there are few turnouts. That didn't happen with our old '90 Acura Legend coupe. The Prius that I tested felt much like my '99: predictable and devoid of real faults, but with excessive body roll. With flatter cornering we'd both be more comfortable and could go a bit more quickly.

3) Comfort again - some performance items (like Recaro seats) are also comfort items.

4) Fuel economy (population-wide) - I look forward to a time when there are hybrid sports cars, pickups, etc., all with performance the same as, or better than, the cars they replace. Then more people will buy them. If we can show that the Prius can be made nimble, those that would have rejected the car because of its soft nature (in U.S. trim) will buy it.

5) Driving pleasure. A crisp handling car just feels good.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Remember that the CR number for "Accident Avoidance" on the Prius is limited by the VSC, as they mention.

The VW goes 54.5 mph before it spins out. The Prius goes 50.5 mph before the VSC kicks in.

It's argueable which is safer :)

For some reason, all the Auto Mags seem to test the VSC model. Probably because they are Geeks too, hehe.

I'd love to see the skidpad, slalom or accident avoidance numbers for a non-VSC Prius. Probably wouldn't equal a BMW or performance tuned VW, but it would certainly be higher than the VSC limit, which everyone mentions is set 'aggressively'.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, it's created. If you can come up with a better description that what I put please let me know :)

9. knowledgeseeker

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interesting arguments.

But I just looked up the tests in Consumer Reports (May 2004 for Prius, May 2003 for Passat GLX) that I had cited in my earlier message, and it seems to be the other way around. The Prius was $22,052 as tested, with major options listed as "Side and head-protection air bags." The Passat V6 was $30,680 list, and it _did_ have stability control.

Furthermore, CR lists the emergency handling of the Passat as "very good" while the Prius rates just a "good."

Perhaps you saw a different set of tests. But at least in CR there is no evidence that the Passat "spins out." Nor any evidence that the Prius was limited by VSC rather than by traction.

Tires may be part of the difference: 205/55R16 vs. 185/65R15, Conti vs. Goodyear Integrity. But part of it is that the Prius is softer. That is, or will be, changeable.

10. knowledgeseeker

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, Danny. I think that your description, "Discuss all of the performance possibilities that pertain to the Prius," is fine (if perhaps a bit heavy on words that begin with "p").

And I see that there is already some traffic.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was going for the alliteration :)