1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please explain HOW to block the grill

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by PriusRos, Jan 3, 2010.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've done a search and I've read the threads about what type of pipe insulation to buy and the strategy for grill blocking the 2010 -- but I can't find basic information on exactly how you do it.

Do you cut the insulation in half lengthwise, cut it to fit the slots in the grill, fold it over and insert it into the slots?? Or is there something else you have to do? If the instructions are in another thread, please point me to them. Thanks! :p

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Any of the above will do. It just depends on the look & convenience you want.

For me, squeeze & push is all I do. Each slot gets a full piece of pipe insulation. See...

[​IMG] more & bigger photos here

Others choose to span 2 slots with a single piece of pipe insulation. With that technique, you need to fasten it too. But some prefer that look and no squeezing is required.

1 person likes this.
  3. 2Txns

2Txns New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Forgive my newness to the forum, but what does this grill blocking do for the car?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

If you live in an area with extreme cold temperatures, or even just cold temperatures, it makes the engine stay warmer longer by not allowing cold air to enter the engine bay as easily thus increasing your winter MPG. Some people do full or partial blocking depending where they live and the temperatures they experience.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Get either 1/2" pipe foam (2 pieces), or 1" (1 piece), with no adhesive. If you get the 1" stuff, split it in half lengthwise.

Cut to length (around 29" for the bottom openings - the leftovers can be used for the top).
    Push one edge of the foam into the grill hard enough to create dents (in the foam, not the grill) where the vertical fins are. Use that to determine where to cut 1/2" slits.
    Then just squish the foam flat (with the 1" stuff, you have to fold it) and slide/stuff it in. Trim the ends as needed.

Ashlem and PriusRos like this.
  7. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The picture shows what I done. I used 2m of 26mm (1") insulation tube. Cutted it lengthwise to make an opening for the insert. Cutted two long pieces (upper and lower portion), marked the place where vertical bar were and cutted to the 1/2-3/4 of diameter at marked positions and inserted. From the rest of tube I cutted smaller pieces for the center inserts. The grill block survived auto carwash w/o problem. 15 mins work all together.
    [IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-iii-2010-prius-accessories-modifications/20883d1262706406-please-explain-how-block-grill-image_083.jpg[/IMGLINK]

Attached Files:

8. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is the identical thing that I did to my Prius.
    And you are right, it holds up in this cold weather and through car washes.

9. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you all for your tips. I have bought two lengths of the 1/2" pipe foam -- now it's just a matter of going outside in the cold and doing it!:smow:

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On the 2010 the lower grill looks like the Gen2 but the open area is quite a bit shorter (probably a couple inches or so). I'm using the full length tube from the 2006 so the twist ties are really holding them in place. Based on Barbara's experience I absolutely recommend ties on the lower grill block.

On the 2006 using the compression fit technique on the upper grill I lost 4 of the 8 pieces over the years.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Were you using 1/2" foam squished into a single slot? I've never lost any that way. In fact, you have to tear it out in the spring.

Perhaps there are different kinds of foam, some with better grip (rougher surface) than others.

12. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I went out and did it yesterday but it I'm afraid it isn't pretty :eek:! (But I doubt whether people would really notice unless they were looking down there.) I had the hardest time trying to space the cuts to accommodate the vertical fins. It was difficult getting down to that level to do proper measurements without lying flat on the cold ground! I messed up the first piece -- somehow, my spacing was off, and just couldn't get it right. Even when I thought I had the cuts in the right place, I had difficulty fitting them over the fins. In the end, I gave up trying, and just pushed the tubing into the openings without cutting notches for the fins. I thought about cutting the tubing to fit into each individual slot between fins, but I figured that they would just fall out behind -- right now, I am using a piece for the full width of the grill, pushing it into the slots between the the vertical fins, and the ends tend to get pushed in completely where there is nothing behind to hold them.

I'm a little afraid that they are going to pop out of place, since they aren't fitted over the fins.

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used black zip ties to hold mine in. Next year I will do something nicer looking for sure.

14. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice thing is, they're very cheap. You can always try again if they don't hold or if you just feel like making it right to your satisfaction.
    Keep in mind that you may need to adjust the amount of blocking with the weather changes. We had temps in the 20s a month ago and just over 60 the other day.

- D

15. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I used 1 1/8" IDX 1/2" WALL R3.1 25/50 FM (in a diamond) 091953 in the upper grill. Those spaces are 3.1 inches on the ends & 3.3 inches long in the center & much narrower compared to the Gen 2. I used a printers rule & measured in pica (10 pica=1 inch). With a scissors I cut a 3.1" length & fit it over the grill. If the pieces are cut short there will be a bit of space. If they are cut a bit wide the foam will compress & fill the space nicely.

Attached Files:

16. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's the finished look. The edges of the VentureShield film can be seen around the grill.

Attached Files:

17. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice job!
    Did you do 2 rows of insulation on the bottom grille?
    I did 3 rows of 3/8" insulation.

18. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you. I'm happier with the top than the bottom. Yes, the bottom is composed of 2 tubes. They sit on top of the grill because they are longer than the opening and I never bothered trying to cut notches for a better fit. If they aren't tied down they will fall off. On the Gen 2 they fit the opening & were tied down "just in case".

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm late to this game (just put mine in for the 1st time ever a little while ago), but I'm like you John -- I don't see how mine would fall out. In fact, after they were in for a week, I couldn't easily remove them without tearing them.

I use less foam than anyone else I've seen reported here. Not only do I use 3/8" Frost King pipe insulation (the round tubes with a slit), but I cut them in half along the length.

On my Gen II, I use only 6 pieces -- 1 continuous piece for each slot.

For the 2 top slots, I cut the 36" length to fit.

For the 4 bottom slots, I keep the full 36" length of the foam and tuck the ends in behind the panels where the foglights would be if I had foglights. This creates a grille that's similar to the Honda Insight's top grille.

I didn't bother cutting slits or notches in the back to accommodate the vertical fins (but I might try that next winter).

Here are some pics:

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21042&d=1263186540[/IMGLINK]

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/20887d1262724484-what-did-you-do-your-prius-today-003.jpg[/IMGLINK]

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/20888d1262724484-what-did-you-do-your-prius-today-002.jpg[/IMGLINK]

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      97 KB
      Views:
  20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II