1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help. 09 randomly died, won’t start beeps like I left the key in. Battery fine.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Wolfe, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Daniel Wolfe

Daniel Wolfe New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I left the car in ready mode as I ran in somewhere. When I got back it was dead and wouldn’t start. It’s had all the dash lights on and brake issues recently so I’m thinking maybe the brake relay fuse based on my research but I worry about pulling fuses without some help here. More info:

So the accumulator and the brake booster are bad but they still work well enough. All the dash lights are on and the accumulator is always whirring, also most times when I start I loose my brakes and have to wait 5 seconds or so for the super loud alarm to stop and my boosted brakes to come back. I know I should have gotten it looked at but I simply don’t have the money. Please let me know if there’s any more info that might be helpful, thank you so much.

2. Daniel Wolfe

Daniel Wolfe New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry I forgot to mention I think the battery is fine because all the lights are perfectly bright.

The security light has stopped flashing

#2 Daniel Wolfe, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2022
  3. Daniel Wolfe

Daniel Wolfe New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay I replaced AM2 fuse and that was definitely the issue. Problem is it immediately blew again. I just recently replaced the inverter coolant pump, which is the common issue for this, but maybe it was a bad part?

4. Daniel Wolfe

Daniel Wolfe New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay so I unplugged the coolant pump and now I can drive the car and it doesn’t blow the fuse. It was just a cheap pump to replace the old one that went out. If anyone has any suggestions for good pumps, please let me know.

I realize this thread is just me figuring out this problem myself, but I think I’ll leave it in case it helps someone else. Be wary of those cheap Amazon pumps! Mine just blew after like 6,000 miles

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes your inverter pump is bad, replace it with a genuine part.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You can use almost any 12 volt pump that moves water through a 3/4-in water way . As an inverter coolant pump I left the flat pancake Toyota model for a completely different looking Toyota made pump that generally doesn't have issues It seems the flat pancakes are having problems in manufacturing maybe not made by Toyota anymore or something new old stock is limited whatever the issues are I want no part of it so I went to a pump that looks like a pump that pumps other liquids and other things namely the pump that goes in between the brake accumulator and the brake master cylinder both on the firewall if you will there's a little pump up there that you never hear about because they never break I move that pump from another vehicle to my inverter on the vehicle I drive which is an '09 that pump is cause no hiccups in his head no problems for months now and I won't go back to the pancake.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Gen 2 specs for the pump require it to move 10 liters per minute or above (2004 New Car Features manual, page TH-34).

So if substituting some other pump, at least be sure to select one that'll meet that spec. You should measure the actual circulation through the inverter, transaxle, and radiator, not just what the pump delivers on its own.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally speaking, when you have warning lights displayed on the dash, there will be OBD2 codes (DTCs) stored in the computers (ECUs). Use an OBD2 scanner to retrieve the stored DTCs. This may help with diagnosing the issue; potentially saving time, parts, and money.

FYI, you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.