1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help - car is running - doors won't unlock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stefx, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been at this for over 30mins

I started the car (2008 Prius, 8 months old) without inserting the key in the slot (I have the SKS key). I set my AC to auto, lowered my driver's window, got out, closed the door, pressed the button to lock all doors, and pulled on the auto-up driver window button.

Now I can't get back in.
    -The physical key won't turn at all
    -The 2nd physical key: same
    -I'm trying to turn the key as forcefull as my fingers can. Not even a small movement
    -I tried turning both ways. I took the keys out, rotated 180deg and tried again, both ways. Not a single movement
    -Pressing the unlock button on either remote fails to unlcok
    -tried pulling on the driver, passenger handles, nothing (both SKS in my pocket)
    -Tried the trunk.

I'm thinking the physical key might be a wrong one? Maybe I never tried it before?
    The lock might be stiff, but if that was the case it would turn a little at least (the car is only 8 months old, I doubt that a lock would jam out of unuse within only a few months)

So, the car's running. What are my options? Any ideas?

I'm not sure I did this before, but I think I did after seeing it on the forum this past summer. I think I have tried the physical key before, but I'm not 100% sure.

2. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All right, it's unlocked now. This is very weird.

I tried using pliers and turning the physical key lightly. No success

No amount of shimmy/wobble helped. Both keys, both ways.

Here's how it unlocked:

-The physical key was in
    -I applied a light pressure to turn it (it didn't turn)
    -I pulled the door handle
    -I pressed the black button on the door handle (which locks the door) and then the key was able to turn
    -the door unlocked.

Very weird. Feels like going back to Nintendo days and pressing up-down-up-down-A-B-A-B-A-B to get a bonus life.

The key spins freely without resistance at all now.

Well I'll leave this in case it helps someone else.

This was a quite peculiar case. Very intriguing.

3. BerkshirePrius

BerkshirePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you sure that your lock isn't frozen up? Have you tried lock de-icer? If you don't have any available, heat your key up with a cigarrette lighter, then insert it into the lock and try. You may have to repeat this a couple times. If this doesn't help, maybe spray some WD-40 into the lock. If all else fails, I would break out the passenger rear door window (If you have glass coverage) to gain access. I'm not recommended you do this, only as a last resort. But if you absolutely have to, tape the window up with duct tape prior to breaking it. This willl help to keep the clean-up to a minimum.

4. BerkshirePrius

BerkshirePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, good to hear! Glad I had to step away from the computer before finishing my reply.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually lock de-icer works quite well. It's just isopropyl alcohol. Except you have to re-lube the lock after. ;)

Sounds like it had some ice or such in there and you had to wiggle the parts around to free them.

6. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, when the key turns, it turns easily without any resistance whatsoever. Doesn't seem to be a lock de-icer case.

It happened again today. I went to a store. Got out and locked the doors with the remote.

When I walked back to the car, I tried the physical key to unlock the door. It wouldn't turn at all, then I pulled the handle/touched the black button and the key turned smoothly and the door unlocked.

I'll do further testing some time next week.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's the way it's supposed to work. The key unlocks the door, pulling the handle opens the door.

It's a good idea to try these things before you have an emergency, especially since the mechanical lock gets very little use on a Prius. I open mine from time to time just to make sure it still works.

When you locked your car from the inside, it told the SKS to not operate from the outside. It's a safety feature.

Tom

8. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The key wasn't turning "until" I pulled the handle. The key is supposed to turn.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You pull the handle and turn the key. That's how it works.

Tom

10. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm on page 450 of my owner's manual. No mentioning of pulling the handle. It just says to insert the physical key and turn it.

Same here on page 35 of 65:

http://john1701a.com/prius/documents/Prius_User-Guide_iconic.pdf

If pulling the handle is required to allow the physical key to turn, I'm surprised it's not mentioned, given that all other cars I've used let the key turn without requiring the handle to be pulled.

11. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Take it to the dealer and have them replace the door lock mechanism under warranty. Something is jamming, broken, or worn.

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's correct. When I first tested mine, I did exactly the same thing. It took a little reading on this forum to realize that you have to pull and turn the key. The Prius user manual will not win any awards for clarity or completeness.

I believe it was hobbit that posted a good thread about removing and lubricating the lock tumbler mechanism. As they come from the factory, the lubrication is not always good, which makes it harder to actuate. The good news is that you can easily pull the mechanism from the outside without removing the door panel. If you are still under warranty, ask your dealer to do it. Even so, Prius drivers need to know that you have to pull on the handle while turning the key, otherwise you don't get in.

Tom

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That article would be here.
    I'd suggest at the very least if you get an opportunity with
    tolerable weather, pull the cylinder and have a looksee at it,
    even if you don't try to dig in further and clean/lube it. Make
    sure the thing turns with the key freely in your hand, and then
    figure out what's going on inside the door...
    _H*

14. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My 2007 will not lock with the door button when the car is running.

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm just wondering, did you do all of the above as an experiment, or for fun? :confused:

I agree. The mechanical key turns the lock cylinder on my 2004 without any drama required. Glad that you were able to figure out how to open your car.

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like she wanted to leave the car ON and locked?

17. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The link talks about a dead batter and the key. Perhaps when the battery s not dead, it may be using some computer programmed logic how it operates and it looks like it isn't as logical to us as it should be:eek:

18. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm glad to have read this thread and learned of this quirk. Thanks!

19. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Correct.

Also, it's not a lube issue. Once the key can turn, it turns easily and smoothly. It either turns easy (once the handle is pulled) or not at all.

Looks like tomorrow will be warmer. I'll run more tests, varying the way I lock the door.
    Yesterday I locked it with the physical key, and unlocking the door didn't require pulling the handle. weird.

20. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use a mechanical key regularly, and I don't touch the handle until after turning the key. It just works.

There must be something wrong with the mechanism if you have to jiggle the handle to make the key work.

I like to go running, and the keyfob is too expensive and bulky to take with me on a trail. So I carry a $2 hardware store copy of the mechanical key. The key gets me in the door, and then I use a dumb (no battery, black logo) keyfob inserted into the dash. The smart keyfob stays at home when I do sports activities that might risk damaging or losing it.

As long as we're on the topic of the mechanical lock/key, I wonder what it would take to install a lock on the passenger door? Would a mechanism for the driver's door work in the passenger door, or is there some difference?