1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help! Dice install on 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusFTW, Mar 29, 2007.

1. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all!

I just purchased a Dice unit, (Part number: I-TOYOTA-R) from the Dice store to install in my Prius. I read on the forums here that the two cables are supposed to be connected together. I can't see for the life of me how they could fit together so I wrote a question to tech support at Dice. Here is their reply:

"Adam- Hello Bryan, for your 2007 Prius, both cables will have to be hooked together and the smaller white plug will connect to the back of your radio. The plug with two wires will not be used and can be left hanging. The other plug may be used if there is something already plugged into the port on the back of the radio. Let us know if you need further information. Thank You. Best Regards, Adam"

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

2. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Mar 29 2007, 05:40 AM) [snapback]414092[/snapback]</div>
    Page 3 of this post might help (be patient, it takes a while to load)
    Dice Install

3. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris @ Mar 29 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]414125[/snapback]</div>
    it is this pic I am having trouble with:

[​IMG]

See the arrow that points to the "Dice Connection Cable"? I have two cables that both have Dice Connection ends on them.

4. felton

felton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Mar 29 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]414092[/snapback]</div>
    I just received my Dice unit and haven't yet begun the installation process. Your post prompted me to look at the parts I received (from the PriusChat shop last week). I have to admit that there appears to me that there is no way to connect these two cables to each other. Perhaps it is just me, but both of these cables have terminals of varying sizes on the ends of the cables, but there are no two of the same size which could be matched up.

Sorry I can't help but I appear to be in the same boat.

5. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(felton @ Mar 29 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]414150[/snapback]</div>
    EXACTLY my point! There is NO WAY i can possibly see that these two cables connect together! Both of the cables have ends that will however, plug into the dice unit itself. They must have changed the design of the cables, since you were shipped the same cables as I was.

I suspect that the two cables DO NOT connect together, rather that one cable is used if you have the 6 CD changer installed and the other cable is used if you DO NOT have the 6 CD changer installed. That is only my suspicion however. I am amazed that a Dice tech told me they both connect together. There is no possible way that they can. I plan to call them as soon as they open for business today. I am totally confused.

@ Felton: Do your 2 cables have ends that will plug into the Dice unit? Mine both will plug into the Dice unit, and I am NOT referring to the rounded cable for the Ipod unit.

Also, as a side note, I am just amazed how poor the assembly instructions are. They are not clear whatsover. NOWHERE does it show you how to connect these cables. Before I even THINK about taking my car apart, I want to make sure beyond the shadow of a doubt that I have the correct equipment.

6. felton

felton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Mar 29 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]414158[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, both of my cables have a black six pin connector on one of the ends which is designed to connect to the Dice unit. On the other end(s) of the two cables are two white connectors. These connectors, on one of the cables are 1 1/8" by approx 1/2" (both male and female on one cable), while the other cable has both male and female connectors of approx 5/8" x 3/8".

Without knowing, I can only assume that (1). at least one of the two cables is the wrong one, (2) one of the cables isn't necessary or (3) whoever made these cables used the wrong terminals.

I'll try to get a picture of my two cables and check with the support folks at Dice. Let's post whatever progress we make on this issue in this forum so as not to duplicate everything unnecessarily.

Thanks!

7. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(felton @ Mar 29 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]414171[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, will do Felton and thanks for your information. I have a call placed for Adam, tech rep from Dice, to call me back when he gets in. I post back my findings.

8. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok I just got off the phone with Adam, tech support at Dice. He told me that they did infact change the cables. The one cable with the larger connectors is for the older 2000-2001 model vehicles. The other cable with the smaller connectors is for later model Toyota's including my 2007 Prius. So you only use one cable and you do not connect them.

Whew! I'm glad I got that resolved! Now onto the install later this week. I'll post back here my results.

9. felton

felton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Mar 29 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]414264[/snapback]</div>
    Great!

Thanks for the update. I had already emailed Dice support and hadn't heard back, but something looked odd. I am hopeful that the product works better than the instructions that came with the product. I notice that the Prius is listed on the compatability chart with a footnote 2 beside it. There is, however, no footnote 2 to be found. The missing footnote reference <_< Always a favorite.

Thanks again for the update.

10. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(felton @ Mar 29 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]414302[/snapback]</div>
    Ya, aren't they great instructions? I happen to come across this site, that does however give a descriptive reference of footnote 2... here : http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/stor...I_TOYOTA_R.html How accurate it is, i have no idea.

"Features
    all kits include dock connector, a docking cradle featuring a video output is availble as an add on
    Female 1/8" stereo jack used for audio input
    Works with all iPod's with dock connector
    Browse and select via Song, playlist, album, or chapter all through the controls of your radio (Dice does not limit the amount of playlists that can be selected through the radio)
    select either "DICE mode " for text display, or "Simple IPod mode " to configure the interface for your car/ user habits

Notes
    DICE replaces the earlier DENSION ice>Link Plus model with an easier to use more intuitive control system and the addition on an auxilary input
    Connects to the CD changer port at the CD Changer not behind the radio
    Will work with all in-dash CD players and in-dash CD Changers.
    Will NOT work with trunk mount CD Changers. Must be disconnected.
    G3 iPods do not support Album or Chapter browsing

Compatible Cars
    model years
    Limitations
    TOYOTA 4-Runner 1998-2006 1,2
    TOYOTA Avalon 1998-2006 1
    TOYOTA Camry 1998-2006 1
    TOYOTA Celica 1998-2005 1
    TOYOTA Corolla 1998-2006 1
    TOYOTA Echo 2000-2005 1
    TOYOTA Highlander 2002-2006 1,2
    TOYOTA Landcruiser 1998-2006 1,2
    TOYOTA MR2 200-2005 1
    TOYOTA Prius 2004-2006 2
    TOYOTA RAV4 1998-2005 1
    TOYOTA Sequoia 2001-2006 1,2
    TOYOTA Sienna 1999-2006 1,2
    TOYOTA Solara 1999-2005 1,2
    TOYOTA T100 1998
    TOYOTA Tacoma 1998-2005
    TOYOTA Tercel 1998-2001
    TOYOTA Tundra 2000-2005
    LEXUS IS250/300/350 2000-2006 2
    LEXUS ES 300/330 2000-2006 2
    LEXUS GS 300/430 2000-2006 2
    LEXUS RX300/330/400 2000-2006 2
    LEXUS LS430 2000-2006 2
    LEXUS LX 470 2000-2006 2
    SCION xA 2004-2006
    SCION xB 2004-2006
    SCION tC 2005-2006

Limitations: * DVD changer if equiped is disabled

1- Not compatable with rwar seat entertainment

2- Compatability limitations may apply to navigation and 6 CD in dash systems

11. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

I'll jump in and defend DICE here on the instructions being out of date.

If you look at all the different vehicles (including motorcycles) that DICE is trying to create units for, think about how DICE is not given any notice when things change on the cars (or motorcycles).

Do changes happen? Yes, and not always when you expect them. There are models of cars from year to year where there is no documentation saying that anything about the radio has changed. Sometimes it has completely changed and sometimes it only changes just enough to mess up "your" product so that it doesn't work or doesn't always work as expected.

This is the case with the 2006/2007 Prii. Something changed from 2005 to 2006 and then from 2006 to 2007. DICE probably can't afford to buy every model of every car that they are making products for. If they did it could easily run several hundred thousand dollars a year or more.

So ... once they get "comments" from customers that the units are working as expected they have to see if they can find a customer or friend or family member that happens to have bought that model and that year of car and then sweet talk them into letting them figure out what the input and output messages of the radio system are.

Once they finally figure that all out they have to update the parts to send out and the instructions. As you can imagine some things are easier and faster to update than others (what goes in the box, and the instructions that go with them).

I also have a 2007 Prius and while the sound is great the center port of the screen where it shows multiple CDs does not display and neither does the text.

They are working on it. One of the people at DICE just bought a 2007 Prius (was a job requirement? wink) and they will be testing the DICE units for 2007s on it. Or at least a few of them to get things straight until they know what the story is on what changed.

12. felton

felton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Mar 29 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]414364[/snapback]</div>
    That is comforting since my Prius is a 2005 with the nav and 6 CD in dash system :(

So it may work or it may not. Well, that is about where I assumed I was after reading all the posts I could find on the subject. It may work perfectly, not at all or some of the time.

Well, I will think positively and hope for the best. Onward through the fog ;)

I have to admit some surprise that you guys with the newer (06/07) cars are putting yourselves through this for the hoped for added ability to control the iPod from the steering wheel and get the MFD display. For me it is this or nothing and I would be happy as a clam with a simple aux in jack.

Thanks again for the info

Thanks

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(felton @ Mar 29 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]414503[/snapback]</div>
    In the 2005, things will be fine. We're discovering a interesting problem with people who have brand-new 07 package 3 Prius, (but there's 1 report of an 06, and a 07 w/ package 6, we'll see if they're related or not) they're having trouble getting text. We're looking into it.

14. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Mar 30 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]414988[/snapback]</div>

Thank you for clarifying that Vagabond!