1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help -- Engine Coolant Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shade73, Jul 18, 2010.

1. shade73

shade73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I received the P1121 and took it to the dealer. They told me I also had a P3000 and it would cost $2000 to fix both problems. I called another dealer and they said the P3000 could be caused by the P1121 not giving it enough coolant? So I brought it back to the house, bought the valve listed in the forums, and I spent all day changing that + the coolant. I drained the coolant and between the resevoir and the radiator cap itself I refilled about 4 QT, and I saw that my inverter coolant was just below the low line, so I filled it up to the full line. Afterwards, I tried to get the coolant to flow, and it seems like I won't flow? The check engine light immediately came back on and the car said, "Problem." So I immediately shut it off and let it set for a few days. How do I get it so that the coolant starts flowing again? I haven't seen any of the levels move what-so-ever on the radiator.

Any Suggestions? I saw something about putting it into inspection mode but I've been unsuccessful at it so far, and putting the heat on max and leaving the engine running produces mildly warm air, but I'm worried about leaving it running that way in case it were to over heat?

2. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Quote from other source The DTC code is P1121 which I decode as "Coolant Flow Control Valve Position Sensor Stuck".

I had some difficulty getting the air out of the engine coolant pathways when I changed my engine coolant. I thought I had sufficiently 'bleed' the coolant, but the engine temperature via my scanguage headed above 210 F on my way to work on a highway. I got off the expressway, checked the reservoir, still had coolant. I topped it off. Back on the freeway, I noticed the engine temp went down under acceleration, so I spent some time accelerating and slowing down , this eventually solved the problem for me. I would not generally encourage this without a temperature gauge for the coolant, which I checked with a scangauge.

The standard way to bleed coolant is to use a vacuum device to help remove air; dealers use this.

P3000, HV battery malfunction.

Patrick gave some info here
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/49355-code-p3000.html

I do not see the connection between the two, anyone else?

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Start with purging air out of the engine coolant circuit;
    then reset codes by disconnecting the 12V;
    Any new codes will require troubleshooting.

Did you ask the dealer what work would be done for the $2000 ?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here are my suggestions:

1) Did you open the bleed valve on top of the radiator, towards the driver's side, to help the air to come out? Need an Allen hex key to open it, I don't recall the size.

2) Did you squeeze the radiator hoses to encourage fluid to flow and air bubbles to rise out of the system?

3) While running the engine with the heater set to MAX HEAT, did you rev up the engine to heat it up, which would result in the thermostat opening so that fluid would flow freely within the coolant system? You need to do this for an extended period: 15-20 minutes, until the cabin heater produces good heat and you don't hear air bubbles in the system. <Don't worry about the fact that your mpg reading per the MFD is going to look bad.>

4) If you opened all three drains (engine block, radiator and coolant heat recovery canister) then you should use around 6 US quarts of coolant.

5) Since the coolant valve has three hoses leading to it, are you sure that you connected the correct hose to each valve fitting?

Regarding DTC P3000, did the car run out of fuel recently, or was the car left in N for an extended period? What was the first dealer planning to do that would cost $2K? That DTC is produced by the hybrid vehicle ECU because it has received a malfunction signal from the traction battery ECU. Usually the battery ECU will also produce a DTC that may help to decide exactly what the problem is.

After you restore proper engine coolant circulation, then make the car IG-OFF, disconnect the negative 12V battery terminal cable where it connects to the body for 5 min., then reconnect and see if you still have warning lights come up. If so then you'll probably have to have your car serviced by the dealer unless you can find out what the diagnosis was and determine whether you can take care of the issue yourself.

5. shade73

shade73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1) Did you open the bleed valve on top of the radiator, towards the driver's side, to help the air to come out? Need an Allen hex key to open it, I don't recall the size.

- no, because I couldn't find it. I read in other places that opening the radiator cap and letting it heat up to normal would get the air bubbles out. It didn't work. Do you happen to have any pictures of what it looks like?

Thanks for the help everyone. Also, do you know if there is a buffer when the temp light shows on the MFD? It came on today and I immediately cut it neutral and coasted home. All error codes are gone, but the red exclamation will come on, only when going up a hill (which I think is consistent with air bubbles).

If I can't get it out I'll have to tow it about 20 miles just to get them to bleed the system, but I'll do that if there is a good chance I will/have damaged the engine. The P1121 is gone now though.

Is the only tech manual available for the prius the TIS website? It requires a subscription right?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have a photo.

Remove the black plastic radiator cover. Look at the sheet metal that runs over the top of the radiator. Find an access hole in the sheet metal, probably 1/4" diameter or so, towards the driver's side. That provides access to the radiator bleed valve.

The most comprehensive repair manual is available on techinfo.toyota.com and it does require a subscription. Minimum is $15 for a two-day access period. Or you can buy the Toyota paper repair manuals which will cost ~$500 if you buy the whole set.

Since P1121 is gone, that probably means that you installed the valve correctly.

When the overheating light comes on, the cylinder head temp is probably around 210 degrees F. Normal is 185-195 degrees F. Boiling point may be around 220-230 degrees F given the system pressurization, and if the engine reaches that point it will probably be damaged.

After the car cools off, see if the coolant level has dropped (check the radiator cap as well as the overflow container) and if so, add fluid to top off.

It's much better to be purging the air out of the system while the car is parked on the driveway because not much fuel is required to rev up the engine, thus it won't generate that much heat. When you are driving uphill, the engine is under substantial load so it will consume a relatively large amount of fuel which causes localized hot spots if the coolant flow is not normal.

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I haven't realized that the margin of safety is so low. :eek: When I did full grill block in the winter the Scangague sometimes showed max coolant T of 204 F and there were two occasions when it showed 209 F. At the time I thought that's just a few degrees Celsius above the usual 191 or 193 F - no big deal I (foolishly) thought. At least there were no warning lights. Next winter I will be more careful. :p

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, if this was my car I would not be comfortable running the engine coolant temp so high.

1 person likes this.
  9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! Another factor I forgot to mention is that those were recorded peak T - the observed running T was lower (by glancing at the ScanGauge from time to time) - there seems to be enough hysteresis in the system that the T would reach some peak value and then drop back down to some lower steady value - maybe when a valve open/close or fan on/off etc. At any rate you advice is well taken as always. Thanks!