1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help locate block heater plug-in

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Romeo, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fellow Canadian Prius owners, please help locate the plug for the block heater. I know the block heater is installed as on any other canadian car but can't find the plug anywhere. I even remember that the salesman showed it to me but it's dark on the parking lot and I can't find it. I assume the cord is located in the same place as on every other canadian Prius. Where exactly should I look?

2. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer tucked my plug in under the hood (passenger side front - arrow in pic). I had to request one in Toronto - if they're installing them in all Canadian Priuses by default they charged me too much!

Attached Files:

3. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks dr d12. I drove to the underground parking in the mall, got on my knees and found it behind the lower grill. I traced it by the cord starting from that location that you indicated. I remember now that I tucked it behind the grill myself as I didn't like how it hangs from the grill. I purchased two new Toyotas in Canada and both had a block heater in the invoice as a mandatory item. But I did pay extra for this as it was a separate charge on the invoice.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well worth it though. I wish the American model came with it.

Just for giggles, search the threads for "engine block heater" and "EBH" to learn some of the gyrations we Americans go through to get one installed. That includes the crazy notion of asking some poor fellow from Chicago who has mastered the installation to drive literally all over the country to install them in parking lots and driveways, leaving his forearms permanently scarred in the process ... all for free! OK, maybe the permanent scarring is an exaggeration (though I can't rule it out -- I've seen wounds), but the rest of it is fact.

5. The Bigyun

The Bigyun New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Romeo;
    My dealer installed my block heater and the plug was left hanging to the left of the driver's side head light. The cable seems to come up between the engine and the electric motor/transmission. If you haven't found it yet I will try and take a picture or two.