1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please Help Me Choose a DSLR

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Proco, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm slowly starting to move into the 21st century and have started to look into getting a digital camera. My problem is there's so much bloody information out there and I'm one of those "analysis paralysis" types.

My current camera is a Canon Rebel SLR (bought in 1993). I have 35-80mm and 80-300mm lenses (both autofocus capable). I also have a Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter.

My first thought is to get a Canon DSLR body that works with my lenses. But I've seen packages for some cameras that include two lenses of similar size for the same price as just a body. I'd consider that as well, especially since I could then possibly sell my existing lenses & camera.

I'd love to hear what those of you who have more experience with DSLRs than I do have to say. I know that more megapixels doesn't really matter unless I'm planning on making enlargments.

Of course, since I'll be saving for this, it'll be a few months before I actually jump. But it's good to get info now.

Thanks much!!

2. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am in the process of basically doing the same research. Deciding between Canon Xsi & Nikon D80 (now D5000). When I was doing my earlier research, I found that the D80 & Xsi were very close. But the D80 seemed to be a bit better. With the D5000 out, I think that is the direction I may go.

In terms of lenses, not sure what to tell you. Not sure if I want to get similar lens to what I have now, or get a 18-200mm and then a 300 or 400.

If you have an actual camera store near by, go talk to the reps there. You will probably get better info then a Best buy.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Canon Rebel is one of the best selling digitals, as well.
    I'm sure for a reason. :p

I belong to Flickr, and one of the features there is a widget that tells you what the most popular cameras are, with a bonus of looking at actual user photos!

I think the Rebel still tops the charts.

4. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you dead set on a DSLR? If you are not, then you may want to look at the Canon SX1 IS. I've had my eye on this one. Reading a lot of reviews and comparisons, it appears to be the best "SLR-like" camera out there right now. 20x zoom (with very high quality optics), 10 Mpixels, CMOS chip (similar to most DSLRs, as opposed to the CCD chip). Incredible array of manual controls and features, including the ability to record HD movies! Very comfortable to grip and use the controls. Uses 4-AA NIMH batteries, which I find the most convenient.

Only downsides: can't accept other lenses (like a DSLR) - but you probably won't need to with the 20x zoom lens; rated as being "noisy" at the highest ISO settings - only a problem if you take a lot of pictures in a dimly-lit indoor setting.

1 person likes this.
  5. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think a lot depends on what you are using your camera for. You should go to your local retail outlet and see/touch/feel what a current DSLR is with the desired lens group. Both Canon and Nikon make really good choices, If you are not a professional the minute differences between these models are insignificant. I have a Nikon D40X which is more than adequate for casual as well as professional use.

You just have to take the time to read, study, even take a class on the particular model you choose to get the full potential it offers. Then you still have to be able to take good pictures.
    Some of these can get real heavy with a big zoom lens, not unlike the original Nikon F I still have. But I would not skimp on quality lenses or filters. The distortion on cheap lenses is not worth the money you save.

1 person likes this.
  6. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Proco, I too am considering a digital SLR and will probably go with the Canon since my son bought one a few months ago and has had great success with it. He has me interested in HDR which I had never heard of until he told me about it. For HDR you want a camera that offers auto bracketing, which both of the cameras you are considering offer.

Can you use lenses from the Canon film camera on a digital? Have I just learned something new?

In any event, one of the evaluations that I read recently suggested that one should give strong consideration to a particular camera if you own lenses that are compatible.

Take a look at Photomatix for an intro to HDR. Flickr has some great examples.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

You can use any of the EOS lenses on the Canon DSLRs. However, unless you are using one of the Full Frame sensor bodies ($$$) you will get a frame crop which has the effect of giving you a longer lens (e.g. a 50mm lens will give the same effect as 1.6 x 50 = 80mm).

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Proco, have you read through DaveinOly's thread asking a similar question?

While I don't have all the details of each company's latest bodies memorized, I can probably help you decide what to get as far as features and such if you'll tell us about your needs and experience.

Do you usually shoot in manual? Do you understand exposure and depth of field and the reciprocity of f-stop and shutter speed? What subjects will you be shooting and what are the intended uses of your photos?

As I told Dave, depending upon what you want to do, a DSLR may not be your best choice. I could be more cumbersome, expensive and frustrating to use one vs an "all in one" sealed type camera. Dave went with a DSLR ultimately for one reason--the need for the absolutely fastest lag time b/w pressing the shutter release and when the photo is taken b/c he's shooting shots of his rapid moving child.

Regarding the lenses, it really depends upon what you currently have. I have approximately 10X as much invested in lenses as I do in bodies for my photography. If you want great pictures you need great glass...the body is much less important if you know what you're doing. So, I'd consider selling your entire current kit, buy a body of your choosing (no need to break the bank), then spend a lot of money on a really high quality mid-range zoom. Alternatively, keep one of your current lenses and replace the other with high quality lens in the same range.

1 person likes this.
  9. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For a minute I thought I was on another forum. I just bought a Nikon D90 w 18-105VR lens. It is the best camera in it's price range for me. People like to argue, but you can't go wrong with a Canon or a Nikon. They are both geared for slightly different audiences, so a Canon may be the best choice for you (or because of the lenses you already own). PM if you want to compare notes, seems odd to elaborate on this forum.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not odd at all Midpack. If you'll notice this post is within the area of Priuschat called "Fred's House of Pancakes" and it is specifically designed for non-prius (and non-political) topics. You'll notice a plethora of posts that are not prius related..it's part of what keeps people coming here and makes it feel like a community.

11. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was surprised that's all, I was not criticizing, sorry if it came across that way.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The point I was trying to make is that you seemed to believe a thread/posts like this inappropriate and wanted to take it off forum by suggesting a PM exchange. I would prefer to keep the exchanges open and in the forum for all to view both now and for future reference. You'd be shocked at how many times 4 or 5 year old threads come back to life when someone does a seach and has new questions or insight.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may also be surprised, midpack, at the range and depth of some of the discussions. Many days the emphasis is more on chat than Prius. :)

If you want car information, that's here. If you want more, that's here too.

edit: OK, back to cameras:

While I appreciate the quality photography of a 'real' camera, they're just too big and heavy for me. I have an older 'point and shoot', but it eats batteries and what I see isn't always what I get. Is there a happy medium?

14. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I took a year to find my newest digital cam. During that time I settled on 'it' a few times, but technology comes so fast, by the time I was able to get to a store, I had choices I hadn't considered before. I finally took the leap and after a little buyer's remorse, I have enjoyed my purchase tremendously. BTW, I was looking for more of a mini point and shoot with lots of features so it would do no good to mention my actual purchase. I decided on my needs (very wide angle for Yosemite type big shots, super zoom for micro, battery type, overall size, and most important and the selling point of my purchase was the LENS.) I settled on a Leica lens attached to a P&S camera.

15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

You might actually like something like the Canon SX1 IS. I have the Canon S5 IS which is the predecessor of the SX1. I also have a Canon Rebel XTi DSLR.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The DSLR has the advantage of instant on and low battery use in standby so it can always be ready to shoot. But the S5 is pretty versatile - you can treat it like a point and shoot (like my GF does) or you can use the Program and Manual modes to get more control over the camera. I would much rather lug the S5 around on a hike than the DSLR.

16. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went through this same process last fall. I ended up with the Canon XSi, I looked at both the Nikon D80, D60, and Canon XTi & XSi. The Canon seems to focus faster than the their Nikon counterparts, but I don't know if this is real or just perception. I think the real deciding point for me was that the Canon just had a better feel for me, in other words, the one that was the most comfortable.
    As for quality in general, I think it's a coin flip, they're both top of the line.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding AF speed, they should be pretty equivalent under equal conditions. But AF speed is dependent upon the type of lens, maximum aperture of the lens, subject contrast and the amount of ambient light. I suspect that the difference you thought you noticed was determined by one of those factors much more so than any factor of the body itself.

18. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    See, this is exactly why I posted. I didn't know there were mid-range SLR-like cameras. I thought it was P&S or SLR. Shows how out of touch I am. After looking into these a little more, it's very likely one of these would suit my needs best. It would be a good compromise between my desire to learn more about creating pictures (as opposed to just taking them) and being able to get a quick picture when one presents itself. There have been times when the SLR has been a hindrance as I have to stop & change lenses to get the shot I want. Plus the more P&S aspect of it would suit my techno-phobic wife a little better.

This would allow me to learn more about the craft and then later get something "better" for me and still have a good all-around camera for trips & everyday stuff.

Yep. :)

Not much in manual for the time being. I consider myself an experienced amateur, but I haven't taken the time to really learn the craft. We shoot lots of different things, but we don't have the concern that Dave did of trying to capture quickly moving kids (Child-free by choice). We do lots of nature and have played around with macro-like photography. I do like taking sport shots when I'm at a game or a track meet.[/quote]

As I said above, I'm leaning more & more toward a higher-end sealed camera. It would be a great compromise for what we do and allow me to play around with the manual options. Also I could get an underwater housing for it for when I go snorkeling. I know the housing for a SLR would be quite expensive, but for some of the sealed cameras it would only be a few hundred bucks.

Plus, if I want to, I could sell my existing SLR & lenses to my local camera shop (there actually is one in my area) and possibly defray some of my camera cost.

Thanks for all your help, folks! You gave me lots to think about & a ton of great information. I really appreciate it.

Now I just need to save up the bucks & try to avoid my traditional "analysis paralysis".

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

It wasn't 'analysis paralysis' which stopped me in my tracks as I find that kinda fun. It was the price of a consumer item which will become obsolete before too long. Once I decided what I was willing to pay for the item I researched as to best fit my needs, I couldn't justify the high expense. Then I got an unexpected small windfall, and in my mind when I added 'my price/savings' to the windfall there was enough to purchase what I wanted using the amount of 'my' money and adding the extra from the windfall to make it a done deal. True, it's all justification in my mind, but it made the expense easier to justify. Although it may be more of a P&S than you wish for, I ended up very happy with a Panasonic Lumix with Leica 28mm lens. Although I didn't aim for the absolute smallest package, SIZE MATTERS. This camera fits in the cell phone compartment on the shoulder strap of my 'camel back' water pack, thereby being readily available for a quick shot.

20. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My friend (professional diver) just bought an Olympus point and shoot underwater camera and is very happy with it.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B001P06Q5C?tag=priuschatcom-20
    You still will need to worry about condensation inside the case for your DSLR and maintaining the seals etc. The cases tend to be pretty expensive.

The Olympus also can be put in a case to extend the depth from 33 ft to 100ft.

Another friend who does a lot of underwater photography with a Nikonos SLR was impressed with the Olympus also. His Nikonos has flooded several times and he has seen fellow divers cameras/cases also fail.

If you buy the Olympus use CC to get that extended warranty coverage.

I bought a D90 for my daughter and I can highly recommend that camera. Takes impressive photos in auto mode. It would take you quite a long time to out grow the manual side. Also has video which is more of a gimmick but does do a pretty good job.