1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please Help Me Choose a New Car!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by d2mini, Sep 7, 2011.

1. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello!
    I'm hoping to harness the vast experience of all you fine folks to help me choose the best vehicle for my driving situation.

I currently drive an Audi A3 2.0T and have a 20 mile roundtrip commute. Half of that is fwy and not very fast moving. I avg about 23mpg per tank. We will be moving out to the burbs and my commute will now change to 60 miles roundtrip with most of it being fwy but again, not moving all that fast for most of it. So this is why I want to finally make the move to a more fuel efficient vehicle. Been wanting to for quite a while but this is the straw that broke the came's back so to speak.

I'm trying to decide between the 2012 3rd gen Prius IV/V, the Prius Plug-in, or the Chevy Volt. I thought about the lexus ct200h, but not sure i want to spend the extra cash for less mpg. I believe my distance is too far for the Leaf.

So out of the three, which do you think will make the most sense financially? I've tried to figure it out but I've become very confused and math was never my strong point. I'm an artist... math is the wrong side of the brain! ;)

Any help, opinions, etc appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You get 23 mpg (US) out of a 2.0 litre Audi A3? Then you must drive like your life depends on it.

My advice would be to keep the car you have and slow down!

3. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nope, sorry. I wish.
    For mostly city driving, the most i can squeeze out of it is 24 and change. On the fwy i can get around 30 but not around town. It's a turbo. Pretty typical mileage for that car. Or any 2 liter turbo.

Also it's now 4 years old and out of warranty. I won't keep a euro car out of warranty so it has to go regardless.

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm trying to decide between the 2012 3rd gen Prius IV/V, the Prius Plug-in, or the Chevy Volt. I thought about the lexus ct200h, but not sure i want to spend the extra cash for less mpg. I believe my distance is too far for the Leaf.

I would not buy a first generation anything or any GM product. Why does it have to be a Four or a Five? (Toyota doesn't call them IV/V as of the 2011 models) What option(s) do you need to have that justifies the extra $5,000 +?

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    doesn't your audi take premium too...?

a volt would be a huge setback to you financially...

i recommend a used genII for a lot less money (reliability is still there as most these car will last well over 200k miles)

a leaf would limit you to just your work commute.. if you sit a lot you may not have extra power to cruise on... a point a to point b type of thing...

a plug in prius will have a premium and in the end if you don't charge it every day you drive (as the volt) you're simply paying an extra premium for that car. then it comes down to charging. our electricity is almost on it's next tear and we barely use any electricity. if i were to have a plug in car, the savings would be change over the current prius.

you'll probably never see much of a gas up difference between the prius and the CT... except the ct is a way sexier car. (i see a few on the road every day) the ct is a true luxury prius in a sense... comfort and partial utility with good gas mileage versus the prius with it's better gas mileage (gas bill won't be too much different in the end)... the difference is.. the prius is designed to put a lot of crap in.. a utility vehicle of sorts along with a good car. since i haul things like lumber and such, my prius is perfect.. i could never do that in a ct.. and never would even if i did have the car.

with the options lexus puts on the car (mark levinson audio, etc) it comes out far on top in my opinion.

6. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Per the "utility" aspect, I do haul the occasional lumber from home depot or other large items. I also haul photography equipment and now we have an infant as well. So i'm definitely taking all that into consideration. I do like the looks of the ct though, and the amenities as well. I'm used to luxury cars so no way I can do anything but the top of the line prius. I don't need park assist or lane assist so i was thinking the 4.

But if the ct is close enough to the prius in mpg, i suppose that is still an option.

I also don't buy used cars so that's out.

Thanks!

7. markrivers

markrivers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    get the 2011 Prius Two if you want the savings.
    Go for a Prius Four if you want the leather.

i totally understand where you're coming from.
    my total commute is 80 miles one way.. yup that's eighty. but i only work 3 to 4 days a week and i don't want to live where i work.

We own a 2011 Lexus RX 350 and a 2009 Toyota Camry SE.
    i use the Camry which gets around 26-30mpg highway BUT LA traffic is so horrible that i am sure i'm not getting the 21mpg/city.

to cut the story short, since the Camry is aging 72,000 miles already, we decided to trade it in and get a 2011 Prius Four. added the navigation package.

you might be surprised that the Prius has more leg room and MORE room for all the things you mentioned ( photo equipment etc) than the Camry.

Even though we own a Lexus, we didn't get the HS nor the CT200. if you're buying a hybrid.. get the Gold Standard... the Alpha dog. and that's the Prius.

as for the Nissan Leaf, which we also considered, there's a long line to get it.
    People who have it now, ordered as early as Spring 2010.

good luck! happy car shopping

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a premium prius isn't very premium though... a package 5 might get you better audio and radar cruise control with lane assist and such but will you use it? a package 4 gets a moon roof (cool)... but a solar panel and remote a/c that functions like crap (heard rumors they will pull it in the future)... and lets say those two are fully loaded... the audio is still crap IMO... it will never compare to your bmw audio.

seems like you need to go test drive a few cars.

it also sounds like the prius matches your utility.. the ct might too... but i don't know from experience. 8 ft lumbar fits perfect into a prius with the passenger seat folded flat. not sure about the CT...

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you really expect anything close to an up-check on this forum for a Volt? Some of the folks in these hallowed halls would rather see you drive an H3.

OK...so since you're trying to disengage the "artsy" side of your brain for this decision, I'd go with a G3-IV.
    You can buy one right now if you wish. Fewer questions about reliability or availability. Your driving habits (as indicated) make this subtype (as I see it) a good fit.
    The ATP has a lot of groovy doo-dads, but you're not on the road enough to justify the cost to feature ratio.
    YMMV.
    Yes....I know. The folks in Aichi are trying to make us eschew Roman numerals for their model subtypes, so you may want to ask for a 2011 or 2012 "four"....or 4, or FO-WER for you Texicans.

I'd stay away from the Volt simply for the cost, limited availability, and reliability questions. Same with the PHV...except that I would expect fewer reliability issues, since the base drive train has been around for a while, but when they do come out---they're going to be overly expensive and hard to get.

Good Luck!
    Let us know what you decide!!

Oh....
    One last thing.

:welcome:

Welcome Aboard!

10. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks! Good points. But what is "ATP"?

I know the volt is more expensive, but with the higher "mpg" i wasn't sure if the math would work out in my favor or not, or how long that would take.

As to the II, III, IV, V.... toyota is still using this on their website. I didn't know it changed. So what is it now?

And I JUST realized i posted this in the VEE forum! So confusing, haha. Sorry. Thought this was just a general prius forum. Can a mod move it to wherever is best?

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Advanced Technology Package.

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=advanced%20technology%20package%20prius&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toyota.com%2Fprius-hybrid%2Foptions.html&ei=pf1nTs-NKrDLsQLB9uWfDg&usg=AFQjCNH52IyA8jHkTHdJEuUFASsqdgYBAA&sig2=ybbxGrZz6Hj1lSAjdOQ_gw&cad=rja

When compared to the Gen 3 Prius, the Volt makes monetary sense until you drive more than 55 miles per charge, then it is more costly to operate than the Prius. Once we know the EPA specs for the PHV Prius, we will know if there even is a range where the Volt makes sense.

Prius Two through Prius Five.
    http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/specs.html

12. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ah, ok. The "build your prius" section is what still uses the roman numerals.

The PHV can only go for 13 miles on EV only, so wouldn't that not make much sense for my 25-30 mile one-way commute, even if I can charge it at the office?

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC, ATP = "Advanced Touring Package".
    I'm not sure of all of the tricks and traps, since the "higher" trim levels are out of my economic depth band, but I believe it's available in the V...or five....or 5...or whatever they're calling it this month.
    Do not confuse roman numeral V with Prius v, which is a different type altogether and, like the PHV, is not available yet.
    Then...some forum cop will be writing you a ticket for using roman numerals as quickly as they can get the powdered sugar off of their fingers... :D

A quick trip to a Toyota dealership will answer alllllll of your questions.
    Well....OK. Maybe not.
    The last time I walked into a dealership, I knew more about the Prius than the sales person. :rolleyes:
    However (comma!) you can still do a stare and compare with the models that they have on the lot.

Shhhh!
    Don't use the "V" word here. (meaning Volt)
    We don't say good things about "that" car here!!
    :rolleyes:
    OK....so, as far as the Volt is concerned, if this were a fair and balanced website somebody would point out to you that you should be more concerned with the care and nurturing of our fragile little planet and that you should get the VERY greenest (non-GM )car you can afford. In terms of ROI, you're probably never going to wind up in the black with a Volt, or a Leaf, or the PHV.
    It's supposed to be about more than return on investment.

Whatever.

Drive one of those as well if you wish, but as I said before....it's limited availability, initial cost, and questionable long term reliability would place this car on my "aviod" list. Same with the PHV. There's a reason it's taking so long to bring that car to market. I would just wait to make sure that's it's not developmental issues.
    Probably not....but still.

Best of luck!

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    25 to 30 is a prime range for the Volt. (Unless you are comparing it to the Leaf where it loses until 72 miles between charges)

My speculation is that the PHV Prius will be more economical to operate very soon after 40 miles between charges and for ranges under 15 miles.

I suspect that the Prius PHV will use less electricity for the first 13 miles, then use regular gas with an MPG over 50. Somewhere under 20 miles the Volt (still using electricity) will begin to cost less per mile until 35 miles when it begins using Premium fuel at 37 MPG. Over 35 miles but not very long, the Prius is cheaper. 52 MPG? * Regular vs 37 MPG * Premium.

If you cannot charge it at the office, the Prius will be cheaper to operate (even the non PHV Prius will be cheaper to operate) If you can charge it fully twice a day, the Volt would be cheaper to operate.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm guessing it will be between don't-like-driving-a-Prius and don't-want-a-BEV.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius HEV, but, how much does your electricity cost per kWh?

If you can afford to think about a Volt, the LEAF is the best of the electrics for you (I don't think the range would be a problem at all, but non-commuting requirements could be too much). But electricity and your driving would make a big difference on whether the LEAF could save the difference over the Prius. I don't think it would, but it could get close enough that the EV bonus would make it worth it. :D

For more real-world information ask some drivers on Nissan Leaf Forum - Online forum for the Nissan Leaf Electric Car.

17. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    At this time, my electricity is around 8.2 cents oer kWh.
    If i charge it up at the office after getting to work, it would be free. :D

18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    PHV Prius 26 miles on electricity, 13 free
    Volt 60 miles on electricity, 30 free
    Leaf 60 miles on electricity, 60 free

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you can charge at work then the LEAF would definitely have enough range (it does anyway).

If you aren't paying for the electricity then the LEAF would be the cheapest (only potential issue is battery replacement cost). (I'm against daytime workplace-charging during the day since it would add to peak load. I could excuse it if you had enough PV at home to cover your electricity use.)

With the 8.2c/kWh I'd still think a regular Prius to be better financially (but we don't know the PHV price yet).

The only issue with a LEAF would be the cost of other uses that it couldn't handle.

20. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ya, i think the leaf is out for me because i would need it to have a gas engine for longer weekend trips. Whatever car I choose, it wouldn't strictly be a commuter. My co-worker has a leaf though. Neat little car.

So let's forget about weekends for a minute and assume that in an ideal world I could charge the Volt or Prius PHEV at work after arriving in the morning, and then charge it again overnight at home. 60 mile daily roundtrip. The regular Prius (let's say one of the top end models around $32k to close the gap) does seem to make the most financial sense initially. But I'm curious as to when the PHV or even the Volt would start to make sense. $40k+ is a lot of coin for the Volt.

I'd probably be looking at around 30k miles a year compared to the 10k/yr now. No matter what I'd be saving a lot of dough over my current car!