1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help me identify hoses

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BabyPriusLuv, Nov 5, 2022.

1. BabyPriusLuv

BabyPriusLuv New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i have a 2007 and i need help identifying these two hoses that are joined by this piece of metal and held together by a bolt that i no longer have. The hoses are disconnected and are oozing bright green liquid now and i need to find out what replacement bolt i need and what these two hoses are for. I dont think its coolant as the liquid in my coolant reservoir looks to be reddish brown. In the photo the hoses are joined again but not sealed because i lost the bolt. Please help the shops around me are closed til on saturdays and i need to get to work monday. Thank you A3E5D98E-0539-4C7B-8D3C-CD365761599D.jpeg

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How did you "lose" that bolt? (why did you remove it?)

That is one of the refrigerant connections on the air conditioner compressor. The green stuff is UV leak detection dye that someone added to the system at some point.

You can see a bit of an O-ring seal where that connection came apart, so I'd expect that all of the pressurized 134a refrigerant gas has escaped (if there was any in there before). So no A/C.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Compressor lubricant and dye. At least you won't have to worry about recovering the R134a. That's probably going to cost a few bucks to correctly repair....

5. BabyPriusLuv

BabyPriusLuv New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ran over a traffic cone in the middle of the road by accident and it got stuck in the bottom of my car. I believe it was knocked out of place when this happened and the bolt was gone and those hoses were disconnected when i opened my hood. Is it safe to drive my car in the meantime while these hoses arent completely sealed together?

6. BabyPriusLuv

BabyPriusLuv New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ah the pics up now he he. Whew how in the hale.

8. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Short term, it's fine. I would at some point clean the A/C oil and dye off of things like the water pump drive belt and pulleys. Maybe see if the bolt is just missing, and if so then replace it to keep the line from moving around.

As mentioned, it will take some $$ to fix the A/C. The longer you wait, the worse it will become. Having the refrigerant system "open" will allow humidity to get in and contaminate the oil and the dessicate (in the condenser - receiver drier).

Can't tell from the pic if the bolt was just loose and eventually came out (weird), or if it somehow broke off without damaging the line (weirder). Don't know if the traffic cone was a part of this or just coincidence.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Replace bolt . Get the tall can of sun refrigerant w gauge . Gas er up carefully usually around 33psi running compressor on is what I see on my perfectly running 2 systems as of right now just coming off summer temps.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please don't use a can from the auto parts store. Waste of time and money.

Take it to a car ac shop they all know prius now very common car. Get an estimate.

Everything on a G2 AC system is expensive. The fact is the bolt is missing and it did not fall out its been ripped out. I doubt a simple bolt re-install will fix it. I looked online and the bolt is part of the compressor not avail sep.

You could go to a junkyard and look but most have the compressors removed. Its a very common car now. All I have seen around here are stripped clean.

Parts cost for compressor Toyota online is $560 plus tax plus shipping. Plus system leak test plus new juice. I'm guessing $1200 all in.

If you have comprehensive insurance it may cover it. No comp no cover.

Call Todd at Tampahybrids in Tampa he's a used Prius dealer and has alot of junkers see if he will ship you a used one.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow I guess I'm getting off purdy good andnim using enviro temp gas generally . but most don't know it. We in deep souf we require ice cold air . That cannot be out or down . That's what I do know. and what happens here . Wer the gas comes from wen discussing 134 a and derivatives. As long as new not recovered .

12. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How well do you think the A/C would work without evacuating the air and moisture out of the system?

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If it's been disconnected a very short period of time that's almost not going to affect anything and I'll go a step further if it's been disconnected and it's got high mileage I usually go ahead and put a receiver dryer on it if that part is available for the given model of vehicle I'm working on and then I tighten it all back up and I squirt enviro temp right into the system turn it on let it run gas it up for the inverter compressor which turns out to be around 30 to 32 PSI with the compressor running the car cold and I believe the interior will just be starting to stabilize then I unplugged the mess and I drive the hail out of the car My Gen 2 I did 2.5 years ago when I first started posting here and it's blowing almost frost out the vent you get out on a hot day you get sick It is stinking cold still haven't done a thing to it looking for it to fail nope has regular 134a oil in it not even the proper electric compressor hybrid whatever oil for the compressor and been in there over 2 years so I'm not trying to be a jerk I'm just saying this what works here and I'm in the southeast and 100° weather and 95% humidity for 7 months of the year I do believe thanks