1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help me troubleshoot suspension issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kenner_Prius, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Kenner_Prius

Kenner_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Greetings from "Big Easy"!

I just got 2006 with 189K miles from original owner, who has done absolutely NOTHING except for oil and tire change. I have replaced spark plugs and PCV valve this week and considering replacing front struts (complete assembly) as the car rides somewhat stiff and hits potholes rather hard.Tires are newer. I am attaching a picture of struts, as some say this part never needs to be replaced. Car has never seen snow and has not rust issues. Rubber boots on both struts are damaged. Please take a look at pictures. Vehicle also makes clicking sounds on potholes. CV joins are good, no visible damage.

Your estimate on repairs need and other feedback for Prius newbee is appreciated!

Best regards

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Struts and shocks are definitely needed on higher mileage cars. That's a wear part.

OEM parts from online Toyota dealers (camelback toyota is good) are usually cheaper and far more superior than aftermarket parts.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just had the front & rear struts replaced. Bought the entire parts list Toyota oem online and paid to have them installed. Was about $1100 all in including alignment. You'll be disappointed though as it will still hit hard over potholes. Not a great riding car pretty stiff and loud. Helps to lower tire pressure.
    If it was me I wouldn't put too much money in it. And its probably using oil to so watch the oil dipstick carefully to get a handle on how much.
    Running the motor low on oil lunches it. And it may need a hybrid battery pretty soon too.

Go to toyota.com/owners and join and search the vin. You will see every time it has been at a toyota dealer and for what. It will give you a sense on why the car was sold or possibly traded in.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most of the time on almost every car boots on a strut break like that some time before strut needs to be replaced. Boot being broke will only increase the wear on the strut very small amount. Normally you just replace the boot when you replace the strut. Strut will stay good (basically like new) for some time and then slowly deteriorate. At 189K miles they could use replacing.

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can replace them yourself. It's not as easy as an oil change, but it doesn't require a special lift or anything fancy. The fourth one will be much easier than the first :)