1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please Help! Tweeter Clip!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusFTW, Apr 26, 2007.

1. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello!

I started an audio upgrade today, and when I got to the front doors, I pulled the tweeter housing perpendicular towards me, like i read here. The bottom white push pin type connector came out ok (similar to those found in the door panels also) but the metal clip that holds the top part of the tweeter housing DIDN'T come out! it is still in the lil tiny square that houses it! I have tried in vain and can't get it out... Does anyone have ANY suggestions? What a stupid design with that clip at the top of the housing. I did both tweeters, and both clips are inside the square that houses it.

Thank you!

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think I used 2 needlenose pliers to extract the clip, otherwise I just pushed it in all the way and retrieved it from the bottom of the door.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    when i was doing audio test, i learn this one. i used needle nose pliers. after the first time and first accident.... all in one really.... i learned to watch out for the clips.

4. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Apr 26 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]430894[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks guys for the response. I retrived both of them, but I don't think they are going to hold the top part snugly like it used to. I tried putting it back and it just doesn't hold very well. I'm not even sure if I'm putting the clip on properly. I quess I will call Toyota dealer and ask if i can buy new clips.

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Take the clip and squeeze the peak with some pliers. Don't worry about making it too narrow, it'll just hold better to the tweeter housing.

6. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Apr 26 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]430977[/snapback]</div>
    And their is a center prong of the clip that engages with a hole in the plastic prong on the back of the speaker. Make sure it is fully engaged, using pliars of a small screwdriver. I found I had to adjust it before I installed on speaker because you need to over ajust it some as is springs back alot.

7. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Apr 27 2007, 12:18 AM) [snapback]430977[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Presto, Thank you so much bro, your tip worked like a charm! Now I think it is in even more securely than before. Thank you so much!

8. bobc

bobc New Member

To get them out in the future when they are stuck to the sheet metal, try prying up underneath the white clip with a large screwdriver. When you pry, keep the clip vertical (or perpendicular to the sheet metal) with your fingers and it'll pop right out.

Great to read that you're underway in your project!

9. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc @ Apr 27 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]431171[/snapback]</div>

Hi Bob!

The project is complete and what a difference. BTW I wasn't talking about the white cllip, I was talking about the metal top clip in the tweeter housing. This bugger managed to go into the lil square housing that seats it. I had to take off the driver side mirror to retrive it. Presto mentioned he lets it drop into the door and then gets it from the bottom of the door. I can't do this in the 2007, because the clip falls into the mirror and there are no openings between the door and the mirror for the clip to fall into the door.

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 27 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]431250[/snapback]</div>
    Is there a thread with details about the project? You peaked my interest by saying "What a difference." even without an exclamation point.