1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

please help -- want to remove CDs from dead prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MarianneLS, Jun 27, 2006.

1. MarianneLS

MarianneLS New Member

Can someone please help us? I am devastated by this--our 2004 Prius was totally destroyed in a flash flood that came down our street in the horrific rains that are falling on Washington, D.C. this week. Even though we are on very high ground, a terrible rush of water came down the street and our neighbors said that all was visible of our car was the roof. To make a long story short, the insurance company said it was a total loss.

We have six CDs in the stereo (factory installed, came with the car). Is there any way for us to remove them at home? Can you point me to any instructions on how to do this? The cost of taking it to a shop will be prohibitive. We are also dealing with flooded basement and much destruction in our home. But I am so sad because some of my 2-year-old daughter's favorite music was in the car, as were some CDs my husband gave me for mother's day.

Please help us if you can.
    Marianne
    [email protected]

2. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

Here are instructions for opening up the dash to get to the stereo. Might be something else easier, but this would allow you to get the CD player out, from there you might be able to open up the CD player.

Stereo accessory install guide

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    While i haven't looked at taking apart the Prius stereo (but have pulled it out for some mods), you should be able to get to the CDs in one way or another. Most likely (based on experience with other car stereos) the casing to the unit is held together with screws or bolts (not welded), or possible some clips, so you should be able to figure it out. you may have to get a set of screw drivers/heads with the star shape on them, though.

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's too bad about your Prius....I feel for you.
    If you follow the directions (pointed to in the earlier post) and you can remove
    both the main radio and the 6-CD changer, you may be able to power up the
    units outside of the car by cutting the wiring harness out (with both components)
    and supplying power & ground to the constant, switched, and ground wires. Then
    you could eject the discs the normal way. This is assuming that the units are still
    working (which wouldn't be unheard of even after being submerged).
    Whatever you do, make sure it won't give the insurance company any reason not
    to pay out the claim. If you can get the two units out with wire harness attached,
    someone here on PC should be able to tell you which wires need to be hooked up to
    power up the units.
    Alternatively, you could take apart the chasis of the 6-disc changer (like an earlier poster suggested)
    and retrieve the discs that way.
    Good Luck!

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you have NAV, I can tell you two wires to short together that will power on the radio, even without the key. You will need power to the 12 Volt, though.

Nate

6. Prakash

Prakash New Member

So sorry to hear your news. I hope Insurance will take care of you.

Good Luck.

7. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkusnetz @ Jun 27 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]277478[/snapback]</div>
    Those are good instructions, but that's a lot of work! Basically you apparently need to take apart the whole dash left of the gloveboxes.

After letting it dry out awhile, have you tried hitting the power button twice without holding the brake down? That would turn on all the accessories but not the engine, if the electrical and accessory battery has survived. You could try taking out all the fuses except for the CD/radio before you try this, to minimize the opportunities for a problem. I think the accessory battery (to the right of the spare tire well) could be replaced by any 12-volt battery for this situation, if needed, but I'd bet it's okay.

Too bad it's not like the single-CD drives on a PC/Mac where you can stick a straightened paper-clip in the little hole and eject the disk in an emergency.

8. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    so sorry to hear about your loss!

A few thoughts...

1. Insurance should cover the cost of those CD's as well, so maybe you can just replace them instead?

2. If not, then if you take the player out, maybe you can find a sympathetic dealership who can hopefully connect it into another Prius to power it up. However, you will want to make 100% sure that it is dry inside!

Trying to force them out may be your best bet, but may also damage them.

Maybe you can give us a list of the ones you lost and some of us here can burn you some new ones from our collections?

9. MarianneLS

MarianneLS New Member

Thank you everyone, for your great advice (even a generous CD-burning offer!)
    I'm thinking of adding the CDs to our insurance claim & see where that gets us. If things were normal, my husband or I could do the work, but we are also dealing with a critical problem with our flooded-out basement!
    Very unusual to have a tropical storm like this in the Washington DC region in June, with no hurricane involved!

The insurance company (Travelers) so far has been very good. Although, today one of the adjusters was saying that she has no way of verifying our mileage (can't turn the car on), so she has to talk to her supervisor!

It is heartbreaking to lose the Prius but I also made some calls today & have some hope now that we can replace it with another Prius. I know the CDs are a small thing but I guess I'm just trying to recover what's been lost.

Many many thanks everyone,
    Marianne

10. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MLS @ Jun 27 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]277825[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Marianne,

So sorry to hear about your car- this flooding has really been nasty!
    Your insurance should cover anything that was in your car. I once had a stereo taken out of my car, as well as a bunch of CDs, and my insurance covered it all.
    Hopefully you've had your Prius serviced recently- then your dealer or mechanic can verify the mileage.
    If you post the titles of the CDs here, chances are that among all of us here, we have thm all. If your two-year old's favorite music includes the Greatful Dead or Bruce Springsteen, I've got ya' covered!
    p.s. once your insurance settles up, are you getting a new Prius?