1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please point me to Pulse and Glide topic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusRos, Jun 28, 2006.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I joined the ranks of Prius ownership just two weeks ago and have been an avid reader/participant of Priuschat ever since I discovered it. I keep reading about pulse and glide, and have an idea what it means, and probably use it sometimes, but I haven't seen a post that explains the technique specifically. I've tried searching but haven't found it. Please would somebody explain it or find the original thread and bring it up to date. Thanks!

BTW, a couple of days after I took delivery of my car I took a couple of reasonably long trips (60 miles to and back from the dealer then 150 miles round trip a few days later) and managed up to 49 mpg averages (actually, first tank came to about 47 mpg). More recently, I've just been doing my usual commute to the local Metro station just a mile away plus a few short shopping trips, and I am getting only around 35mpg. I don't understand why they say you get higher mileage in the city. My engine is always burning fuel when I am in slow stop-and-go traffic.

2. unruhly

unruhly New Member

The first step is to get used to the car. I know it's hard, but don't worry about the mileage yet 'cause the car will do what is best so you don't have to be distracted. The last thing you want to do is mess up your new car 'cause you were trying to get "Dead Band".

When things like turning on the AC and setting the temperature become a no thought process, you are ready to start improving your mileage. Start here. NewOwnerMPG_Help.

Good luck!

3. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Jun 28 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]278052[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks -- I did see that thread but I id not find an actual explanation of the pulse and glide technique.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just used the search function for "pulse and glide" and got 9 pages of topic titles. Somewhere in there will be just what you are looking for.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might also want to poke around over on cleanmpg.com and search
    there; Wayne Gerdes recently posted a LONG dump on the subject with
    tons of pictures and all. You might have to get used to his
    acronym-laced style, but there are lots of links to the glossary.
    _H*

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK Try this out to start with. Take steps and you will get there. Pulse uses a no battery transfer to or from on the Energy Screen during Acceleration and very difficult to do in all conditions. Glide is easier and that is engine off with no Energy transfer to or from the battery. There is more to it than that try this from Efusco:

Stages of Prius Mastery:

Stage I: Awe and Fascination
    The Multi-display screen (MFD) is left on the Energy screen the majority of the time as the driver and passengers watch with fascination as the colorful arrows shift and switch from Engine (ICE) to wheels and ICE to battery and wheels to battery. This is a time of trying to comprehend the general idea of how the car is working at different times. Some attention is paid to overall MPG by switching to the Consumption screen from time to time, but for the most part the 5-minute graph is hard to put into perspective. This phase lasts from weeks to a few months.

Stage II: Growth and Progress
    The driver now tends to focus on the Consumption screen in an effort to improve each of the individual 5 minute bars on the graph as part of an effort to improve overall MPG. Fine adjustments are made in driving technique such as rate of acceleration, top speed, using cruise control and adjusting to traffic and lights. Occasionally switching over to the Energy screen may occur as he/she tries to understand what might be going on in a particular situation or to show that screen to a new rider, but the focus here is clearly on the Consumption screen and efforts to improve mileage. This phase lasts months to about a year.

Stage III: Fine Tuning
    Once consistency is obtained with the Consumption screen phase and the driver’s MPG has seemed to stabilize for familiar routes there is a tendency to want to begin to ‘push the envelope’ to really maximize the fuel economy. To this end he/she needs to switch to the Energy screen once again. This time, however, it is used not to understand, but rather to fine tune and control the system to attain maximum efficiency. Techniques such as Pulse and Glide will require the Energy screen to assure they are in a ‘no arrows’ glide. Acceleration in the ‘dead-band’ (arrows from ICE to wheels only—none to or from the HV battery) for maximal efficiency likewise necessitate the Energy screen. Those not as dedicated or concerned about the fuel economy may find that they begin to use alternate screens such as the Audio screen or the MAP screen checking the Consumption screen occasionally and Energy screen rarely. Most drivers who are dedicated to constantly obtaining maximum possible fuel efficiency will remain on the Energy screen for years or even for the remainder of the time they own the car, switching to the Consumption screen only to check the tank MPG average and total miles on the tank then immediately returning to the Energy screen.

Stage IV: Prius Nirvana
    Most people will never attain Prius Nirvana. This is the stage where the driver has almost become one with the vehicle. He/she is so aware of the car’s operation that he/she can tell when he/she’s in the dead-band or gliding without looking at the Energy screen. Indeed he/she will enter those conditions often without conscious effort as they’ve become second nature. Maximal MPG is still achieved but almost without effort. This is not the same as the person in Stage III who no longer cares about MPG, this person cares greatly, but no longer has to put significant effort in to their driving to achieve it. He or she will use various screens on the MFD as needed, or may even turn it off completely. There is no longer a need to look at the Energy screen at all and they look at the Consumption screen only to note overall MPG and total tank miles. This stage is lifetime.

For me this is a game made more intensive by the CAN View that gives more information and narrows the margins of performance. If you want to join the hyper-milers you can but beware it is an obsession. When was the last time you thought about the elevation gain and loss for a trip to the store? Is there a better route, that will give better MPG? How do I plan my stops? It is a game and just a game. Having said that I may slit my wrists because of a number of fast trips to the hospital that killed my last tank. Why can't people schedule these things so I don't have to kill my MPG. Have they no respect. Well what is, is I guess but I don't have to like it. I may dip below 60 MPG this tank. :angry: What is one to do.

7. savaged

savaged New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 28 2006, 09:20 AM) [snapback]277992[/snapback]</div>
    When the car is good and warmed-up, I get my best mileage in stop - go city driving. This is due to several factors including the ability to "coast" (pulse/glide) at lower speeds, and the increased ability to use ev mode. As you drive more, you will begin to see more and more benefit from those "slight downhill" and level city street surfaces. The Prius will gilde in traffic a long way at 40 to 25 MPH. Combine this with well timed and anticipated traffic light changes and you can easily average 60 mph in city driving.

8. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jun 28 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]278436[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: I think I'm almost at Stage II now. (I'm a fast learner ;) )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(savaged @ Jun 28 2006, 11:45 PM) [snapback]278437[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but doesn't going downhill mean you eventually have to go uphill at some point? -- even if it's just on the return trip!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jun 29 2006, 12:11 AM) [snapback]278444[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! Just what I was looking for.