1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please tell me not to buy Civic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lcruiser, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Test drove both Prius, and Civic Hybrid today. I am kind of leaning toward Civic at this point.

By the way, Toyota dealer is giving me Package #5 with Navigation (non touring) for $25,244. What do you think?

+ for Prius
    150,000 miles warranty on battery vs 80,000 miles warranty on Civic
    Feel a little bit roomy inside
    Cool factor

+ for Civic
    A little bit more punches on freeway. I am disappointed Prius on freeway.
    Love the steering wheel. I don’t understand why Prius has such a cheap steering wheel.
    Cornering is better compare to Prius

I understand that this is Prius forum, and I am going to get biased answer. That’s ok as long as I can get some valid responses. :) I do have small baby, so safety is big thing for me, and MPG is also another important thing for me.

2. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Mar 31 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]415820[/snapback]</div>
    Can you afford the upkeep on a Prius? I don't have one yet, but that will be a big consideration when I do buy a new car.

Especially since there are many things that can go wrong with a car: that has a gas system, an electrical system, and a computer system. One of those 3 out of wack and you might have some trouble; especially by the looks on what some of the people go through on the Priuschat.com threads.

That's what I would be questioning.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ Mar 31 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]415833[/snapback]</div>
    you basically described a normal car :p . Today's modern car has a "gas system" aka the engine, the electrical system aka power windows :p and a computer system that manages ABS, ESP, TCS, Airbags, steering input, climate control

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you talking about a Civic Hybrid?

What's the trunk space like?

What's the mpg of the Civic compared to the Prius?

Oh and the maintenance? Less, actually.

1) no starter (ie, as long as we have battery power, we can start the engine). This is good, since a good number of car malfunctions are bad starters.

2) no transmission. I thought the Prius had a CVT... but apparently, it effectively has NO transmission, reducing power loss and... more importantly, again reducing the number of potential malfunctions

3) Regenerative braking - much less use of the brake pads.

4) The computer control of the engine ensures less stress is put on it, particularly when cold (the engine usually idles until it's warmed up while the battery takes over most of the work).

5) No clutch.

6) No alternator.

7) Only one drive belt for water pump.

change oil , rotate tires and inspect brakes every 5K miles
    replace air filter and cabin filter every 30K miles.
    Coolant is good until the first 100K, 50K thereafter.
    Spark plugs good for 100K, though you might want to losen them at 30-60K so they don't seize in place.

You also might want to keep one eye on the speedometer as you accelerate on to the freeway. Because of the transmission the Prius is deceptive. It can feel like you're not going that fast when in reality you're over the speed limit.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Mar 31 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]415820[/snapback]</div>
    Don't buy the Civic and press the Prius' accelerator a bit harder ;) .

I have yet to test drive an HCH (can you believe, still no demo cars... <_< ) but I wouldn't doubt the cornering ability given that it is a Honda.

I'm surprised you found the Prius roomier. Both cars have nearly identical rear legroom (Civic has a plus with its flat rear floor) and I think the Civic wins in front legroom (at least it feels more spacious when I sat in it today at the auto show compared to my Prius) but the thing that's a deal breaker for me is no folding seats in the HCH.

The Prius has traction control and opt. VSC if that matters which isn't available on the HCH given that you wanted safety.

Also, the Prius comes with ultra-high tensile steel that's why the panels can be made thinner yet retain equal strength (and thus saving weight).

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ Mar 31 2007, 11:42 PM) [snapback]415833[/snapback]</div>
    And how's the prius any worse this way than a civic hybrid. Sorry, I don't get your post at all. Expected cost of lifetime maintenance and repair for a Prius is no more than that of any conventional vehicle.....If you can't afford a new transmission when the one on your conventional vehicle goes out you're in just as bad of shape. Also, the electronics and electrical components are very unlikely to fail, and less likely to fail because of wear and tear...if they're faulty they will likely fail in the standard warranty period. Not so with the mechanical components of hybrids and conventional alike.

To the OP....You probably need to go with your gut. But I would take both for a second test drive...don't be fooled by the sound of the car...see how long it takes you to get from point "A" in one car to point "B" in that car and repeat with the other...I bet the Prius is as good or almost as good.

Are the lower emissions a selling point to you? They were to me. Is the better FE a selling point? It was to me.

The Civic hybrid is a darn good car though and few here will think ill of you if you choose it over the Prius. I think the technology, features, better FE/emissions, more interior and cargo space and styling of the Prius make it an easy choice. YMMV

7. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was never exactly sold on Honda's CVT design when i worked for a dealer and I'm still not. I have good confidence in the Prius' CVT durability, but it's not the only factor in someone's decision.

Just go with whichever one you like best. Both should be great cars for long-term reliability.

8. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So what do you think of the price by the way? Package 5 for 25K?

I will for sure test drive for second time. I floor the Prius on freeway, and it didn't want to go. I am kind of afraid it will get worse on up hill.

I guess I am used to my v6 Acura Legend. ;)

9. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Mar 31 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]415820[/snapback]</div>
    I have both vehicles. The Civic Hybrid was originally mine, but gave it to my wife and got the Prius (both 06 models). We both like the Prius better. I'm not sure I understand why you think the Civic handles better and has more punch, because both my wife and I think the Prius is more "zippy" and drives like it's on rails. However, the one thing we both feel the Civic has better is styling. But from a technology standpoint and a drivability standpoint the Prius wins hands down in our minds. If MPG is important to you, get the Prius. With my driving style (moderately aggressive) I get about 10 MPG better in the Prius than I did in the Civic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Mar 31 2007, 11:19 PM) [snapback]415852[/snapback]</div>
    A V4 of any sort will never have the oomph of your V6. I used to have a V6 Intrepid before my Civic Hybrid and noticed the same drop in oomph. You'll get used to it. Eventually you'll come to find the smaller cars (either one) are more nimble.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The HCH's HV battery warranty is also 10 years/150K in CA just like on the Prius. See http://www.hondanews.com/categories/955/releases/3643. The HCH is actually a little slower than the Prius in real world acceleration. Regarding, MPG, the Prius is the winner too. In Consumer Reports gave the HCH 37 mpg overall vs. 44 for the Prius. See http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/bu...s-206/index.htm.

I dislike the odd interior of the current gen Civic.

I heard an incredible price for an HCH w/nav from a friend (I haven't confirmed it directly myself) who was in the market for one. It was on the order of just a few hundred above invoice. If you can get a good deal on it, coupled w/the full $2100 tax credit on the HCH (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157557,00.html) vs. the now $787.50 credit (starting 4/1/07) of the Prius, the HCH might be a better deal despite my opinion that the HCH is an inferior car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Mar 31 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]415856[/snapback]</div>
    The Civic hybrid and non-hybrid do not have V4 engines. They have inline 4-cylinder engines. I dare you to name a single car sold in the US in the last 15 years w/a V4 engine.

11. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I test drove with HCH with nav for around $25K.

Again, I will give Prius second chance. :)

So, what is the deal with cheap steering wheel on Prius? Can I change it to leather one? I miss my old Matrix steering wheel! Very good quality...

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Apr 1 2007, 01:38 AM) [snapback]415861[/snapback]</div>
    I missed the leather wheel on my Saturn. I just bought a wheelskins cover. I had occasion to drive my old car again (my sister bought it) and the old wheel now feels "cheap".

There are plenty of mods you can make for you Prius. Shark fin antenna, install lights, decals, side molding, upgrade sounds system, sound deadening insulation, mud flaps, etc.

The best mod I made was to put in a BT plate to stiffen the frame a bit. There are plenty of threads on that. For me it improved cornering.

Do a search for why people chose their Prius to help. I chose mine because it got the highest mileage, still held 5 people, plenty of cargo and low emissions.

13. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Mar 31 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]415861[/snapback]</div>
    Step up to a Package #6, and you get the leather steering wheel.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  15. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    LandCruiser, DO NOT BUY THE CIVIC. There, I think that's what you asked for.

16. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Mar 31 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]415866[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the link. Like edmund said HCH drive nicer on freeway. I noticed the same thing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 1 2007, 12:05 AM) [snapback]415871[/snapback]</div>
    OK thanks. I feel better... :p

17. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 1 2007, 02:08 AM) [snapback]415844[/snapback]</div>
    Does the HCH have a starter? I know its electric motor (at the flywheel) starts the engine after it's been off at a stop light; why wouldn't that always be the starter?

Likewise, does it have an alternator? Because the HCH also has regenerative braking and a big battery.

The Prius does have a transmission. Really. With all that that means.

It looks like you're comparing the non-hybrid Civic to the Prius. He's not looking at the non-hybrid Civic.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/engine...me=Civic+Hybrid

18. nwpa

nwpa New Member

In 2006 when we became serious about purchasing a new auto I looked very hard at the non-hybrid Civic. My wife said that if we were going to purchase a new car it ought to reduce our carbon foot print as much as currently possible so I started looking at the Prius. After research on PriusChat and on John's site and then a test drive the Prius won hands down. I like the hatch back and the ample passenger and luggage room. Even if the Prius were not a hybrid it would be worth every penny. It is just a fabulous automobile. We have not regretted our decision.

19. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

You know, it seems odd to me the huge wave of "I love the hatchback!" here.

I say that because apparently, no one else likes a 3 or 5 door auto. At least, the automakers say that--because they refuse to build hatchbacks. They insist that no one wants a hatchback.

How much of this is that there really is no audience for a hatchback? Are the automakers putting their heads in the sand? If they built it, would the people come?

Or are the Prius owners simply saying that they love a hatchback only because that's the only way they can get a Prius, and they would never say anything like "I like my Prius OK, but I hate the hatch" because they'd never say *anything* bad about the Prius?

If the Prius were available in a conventional sedan, one that still looked like the hybrid-only Prius we have today, would the automakers be proven right by people avoiding the hatch version and buying the sedan version?

It seems to me that the marketing of autos is highly tuned, and that there's a solid reason the hatchback died many years ago. People just don't want them.

btw, don't let anyone else tell you what to buy or not to buy. As you said, you know what you're likely to see in this forum: people desperate to justify their own purchases by seeing that other people are doing the same thing.

Buy what you want for the reasons you want, and don't worry about what some enclave in the world of web forums is doing.

The only advice I'd have for you is this: once you make your decision and act on it, don't rethink it after the fact and worry that you made the wrong decision. Just move on with your life.

And if people here want to call you names for making a decision for yourself that doesn't justify their choices in life....don't worry about it.

20. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 1 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]415914[/snapback]</div>
    My cars: '79 Honda Civic (hatchback), '86 Dodge Colt (hatchback), '92 Subaru Justy (hatchback), Isuzu Rodeo (SUV). Isuzu Trooper (SUV), then my Prius (hatchback).

To answer your question, an SUV has the same concept of rear storage as a hatchback. The influx of SUVs in the past ten years has certainly reduced the need for hatchbacks. However, take SUVs out of the picture, and the need for a hatchback returns--a regular ol' trunk just doesn't hold enough.

Therefore, I for one do love the hatchback. I went to a greenhouse two weeks ago, and put three gardenia bushes, an azalea, and two mountain laurels in the hatch of my car without having to smoosh them. So yes, I love the hatchback. I would probably not have bought a Prius if Toyota had kept the first generation Echoish small sedan style.