1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please tell me the best things to do for 50K

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I know people hate when we dummies ask stupid questions without researching it first. Please don't answer or read this, if you feel that way. If you are feeling heroic, could you tell me what I really need to do for the 50,000 mile service? Here's what I'm planning

*Replacing the spark plugs (or do we just loosen and then retighten?)
    *usual mobil 1 synthetic 5/30 change with filter
    *cabin filter
    *new tires, which is the best kind for mild weather. We live in Santa Cruz where it snows at least once every 20 years, and rains about 30 inches a year. We do take the car to the mountains in the Summer, so there is a long-shot chance of a tiny bit of icey stuff here and there for about 20 minutes a year.
    *check fluids, any others need to be changed out?
    *should we go ahead and change the serpentine belt early, since we are not all that responsible?
    *what else

I am so grateful for your help.

Its a 2008, Touring (means different size tires, I'm sure)
    with 50k miles, averages 52 mpg for one driver and no luggage, 45 with 3 occupants and full luggage.

Jennifer

2. quixotequest

quixotequest New Member

Brake fluid is on schedule for our 50K.

3. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

so is that a drain and replace or just top off. I know nothing about brake fluid.

Thanks!

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Please do read:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...70-what-services-you-need-what-you-don-t.html

--Too early if car is running fine
    --Yes (hopefully this is not the first change)
    --OK, but if you saw what was done and what you were charged, you would feel ripped off.....because it's rather simple.
    --Only if the treadwear indicators show that the tires need replacement.
    --That's going to happen anyway if you go to the dealer
    --No. Not if the car is running good
    --I would have the Transaxle fluid changed--but that's just me. Definitely would at 100kmiles.

1 person likes this.
  5. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Okay, thanks so much for your comprehensive answer. We are told we have 10 per cent of tire left at last service. Of course we have changed the oil before! Why would I have said "usual mobil 1 5/30" if we had never done it? I DO admit that I AM guilty of going way over the 5K requirement, out to at least 7k between changes, which is why I use the mobil 1 synthetic. I have the idea that my negligence is not such a crime if I do that.

By the way, the car runs great, 52 MPG on average. Doesn't that mean its doing well? I never, ever even see it. Husband drives it all the time to work, which is why we bought it. It was my idea to buy it, but I drive a corolla.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that an 'early' (earlier than Toyota recommends) transaxle fluid change is probably a good idea, though I'd probably wait until the more comprehensive 60K mile service for that...but that may be spliting hairs.

Agree on the spark plugs...absolutely no need to change those out--they're good for at least 100k miles--they're iridium plugs and not cheap.

At 50K there's really nothing special to be done (as you've figured out). If you need tires then go for it, but certainly isn't something routine at this or any mileage.

FWIW, going 10k miles b/w oil changes, esp. with Mobil 1, is very safe. Many of us have done used oil analysis testing (search for it here) that show that the oil is probably good for 15-20k miles. Now, while you're still under your engine warranty you may well want to stick to manufacturer's recommendations just to avoid any warranty issues if a problem should arise.

Finally, I totally agree on the filters. Use this site and figure out how to do them yourself. You can find replacement cabin filters for ~$6 online and it literally takes 30 seconds to change it...maybe 2 minutes the first time you do it. The dealer will charge you $20-30 for the exact same thing. Same thing with the engine filter for that matter...simple to do, much cheaper and you barely get your hands dirty.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My remark about the first time oil change was intentional humor. I know that someone thinking ahead about proper maintenance has that covered, so the knocks on me are justified. I change my oil every 15,000 to 20,000 miles using high end synthetics and lab monitoring. You are at no risk of having any problem going past 5k with a synthetic. In all cases, you (or your husband) should double check any dealers work like making sure the oil is not overfilled and the tires are inflated to the pressure you specified.

8. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

yes, thanks FL_Prius_Driver, Efusco, and everyone. I am running out the door now to do this. I'll skip the cabin filter and engine filter and see if I can do them myself. Boy do I have stories to tell about the oil overfilling, failures to use my supplied oil, etc. I hate the dealership service department, except for one fellow who actually knows what he is doing. I have an appointment specifically with him. I gotta check mileage. For all I know, we are already at 60, in which case, I'll just do an oil change and return home and study up.

again, many thanks

9. jendbbay

jendbbay Member