1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please tell me this isn't so...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vinnysca, Oct 24, 2006.

1. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Hi all,

As some of you know, I upgraded to new wheels a few months ago. I had my TPMS from the stock wheels transferred to the new wheels without a hitch.

I just had my dealer put on new sensors on my stock wheels which I plan to use for Winter. When I picked up my stock wheels, I was told by one of the techs that they need to reprogram the new sensors into my car. Now, I heard about this before in this chatboard. But, what I wasn't expecting to hear from the tech was that as far as he knows, the prius can only recognize one set of sensors. So, he said that whenever I switch wheels on my 2006 prius...I'd have to go back to the dealer to have them reprogram the computer again!

For those who have experience in having 2 sets of wheels for their prius, please tell me this isn't so!

Also, is there a way for us owners to program the sensors ourselves?

Thanks.

Vince.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sorry... it's true. :(

and you have to use the scantool to program the identification numbers in- there's no other documented way to do so at least.

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I'm sure it's cheap and quick to do this at your dealer, so what's the big deal?

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Ok, seriously, any idea what they rip ya for reprogramming like this, and how long you stand around in the dealership while they are doing it?

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    many places charge .5 hour just to plug the scantool into the car... :rolleyes:

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's also been suggested that a piece of tape to cover the tire pressure warning light might be an effective workaround, if you're okay with defeating its operation.

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 24 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]337405[/snapback]</div>
    Ouch. A few of those visits and you've paid for a scan tool, assuming there's one out there that supports these setup functions on the Prius.

7. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

I'm reading about the scantool. I am emailing some manufacturers asking if their product will work with the 2006 Prius.

My dealer charges about 40 or so bucks for reprogramming. Doesn't sound too unreasonable, but I'm mainly concerned about the inconvenience of going to the dealer for reprogramming. I'd rather do it myself.

Vince.

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Oct 24 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]337437[/snapback]</div>
    I'm the same way, I prefer to do it myself if possible. I'm kind of surprised, too, with a touch screen built right into the car, that anything like this would require a scan tool.

9. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Do the techs at Toyota plug in some sort of cable into the car to reprogram the TPMS or do they just access the MFD via touchscreen? I remember seeing a thread by someone who figured out how to go into the MFD diagnostic screen. Would going into diagnostics show us perhaps where the codes for the TPMS need to be put in? It seems to be a simple procedure to do, but it's just a matter of knowing how and with the proper tools.

Anyone out there know a certified Toyota tech that may shed some light on this for us DIY guys?

Vince.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Oct 24 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]337477[/snapback]</div>
    They use the scantool.

Tom

11. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Ok, that's a start. They use the scantool. Which one though? Does it plug into a connector into the Prius?

Vince.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    a scantool will be one expense. but propreiatary software needed might be a completely different ball game

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they use the toyota scantool. it plugs into the obd2 port. it's programmed with all the toyota software to interact with the prius electronic systems... finding something that will do all that will be difficult and quite expensive.

the toyota scantool itself is a couple thousand bucks if you can get your hands on one. soon to be upgraded to laptops... don't wanna know what those things cost. they're hardcore things.

[edit: and my husband is a tech... see my sig]

14. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Oct 24 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]337437[/snapback]</div>
    I bet for another $10 they'll swap the tires for you too. That way the half hour or so you spend in the waiting room replaces the half hour or so you would have spent changing the tires yourself.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    isnt the toyota software unique, licensed and NOT FOR SALE??

my sis works for Ford and they only let auth agents touch any of that stuff. so unless you are licensed and certified to work on Toyotas, i dont see anyone being able to get one much less keep it updated

16. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://toyota.spx.com

If I remember correctly this kit was about $3000 when I called to order some tools. I told them that was too much and just give me what I ordered. I ordered some panel removal tools for $12 plus $12? shipping. :rolleyes: But I got 10 of them. :) They also wanted $80 for a special tool to remove the pins from the wire harness. I said forget that and I made one out of an old jewelers screwdriver for free. :p

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There is a thread on here discussing the TPMS. Seems you can ignore it if you like. It will not turn on the light just because the sensors are not there. It will turn on the light if the sensors are there and detect low pressure. If you then remove the wheels and put on wheels without the sensors or with other sensors, the light will stay on until the system sees the original sensors report the pressure is ok. Not trying to confuse the issue, but I don't know what would happen if the light was on when the tech. reprogrammed for new sensors. I suspect it would go out.

I don't want to know! I don't want to know! (running away screaming). ;)

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    bummer dude... sounds like ya might just have to do what i plan on doing... ya know... like check the pressure MANUALLY once a week or so... scares me too to think about it.

but of course, changing wheels is only part of it. next it will be specialized cup holders requiring specially licensed Prius cups....

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  20. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Hey guys,

OK....HELP EXPLAIN THIS ONE...

I decided to put on my stock wheels today with the new sensors on. I wasn't prepared for what happened next.

I put away my Summer wheels in the porch and I got in my Prius and went to the calibration screen. I clicked on the change wheels icon.

I expected the light to come on. To make sure that I was far away from the Summer wheels with the original sensors in em (I read somewhere in this chatboard that the car may sense the sensor eventhough it's off the car...via radiofrequency...something like that) I drove around my neighborhood, went to the gas station to inflate my stock tires to the recommended tire pressures, etc.

THE WARNING LIGHT NEVER CAME ON!

The Toyota tech told me that I had to go back there so that they could reprogram the new sensors into my car. Same input from other posters here.

Is this a FLUKE? Or did Toyota improve upon the Prius computer to automatically adjust and recognize another set of TPMS?

I'm sooooo confused but yet SOOOOOOO excited if my car automatically recognized my new sensors!

Vince.