1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pleased with the paint (not color)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mehrenst, Mar 27, 2006.

?
  1. Very Happy, no chips yet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Happy, a very few small (pin head size) noticable from less than 1'.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Acceptable, a few noticeable (ballpoint tip size) from 1' to 2'.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not Acceptable, one or more noticeable from 2' away.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 SUper White that I took delivery of last June. Currently it has just slightly over 10,000 miles on it with the majority of those on freeways and city streets. I have noticed that I'm seeing a few 6 or 7 chips in the paint on the front bumper, on the hood and on the rocker panels. Most are "small" but a couple are noticeable from about 2' away. I hand wash the car every week so I see these things.

Maybe its bcause the color is Super White and the undercoat appears to be black or some other dark color. No, these are not "bug juice" as I can feel a pit in the paint with my finger and/or finger nail. :unsure:

I'm curious as to other's feelings about the quality/durability of the paint finish.

(Maybe I should have spent the money on a clear bra.)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's okay. The "chips" on the front bumpers are from umm.. my carelessness and scraping the parking lot concrete barriers. Umm, I do have one dent from a rock but it's just that.. a crater. The paint's intact, I just used a bit of touch-up to fill the crater.

3. larryenok

larryenok New Member

I've been avoiding driving my Super White because I have it scheduled for an invisible bra installation on Tuesday. The convincer was when I saw my first chip in the bumper and didn't want more damage before the bra went on.

California roads are loaded with rocks that want to put a chip in your car, alsmost as bad as Idaho with their sanding the roads during winter that will blast the paint off the front and create a milky view through your windshield. Hey, and I LIKE Idaho! :D

4. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven several hundred miles on dirt roads and have a reasonable amount of chips in my front bumper and the hood. I'm not too concerned, though...I have a bra for summer use and the sand for the roads here is very fine.

5. mongo

mongo Junior Member

I just spent the weekend filling in the pits in the bumper, hood and front fenders. What a mess. We have about 16K miles on our 2004 Salsa Red Prius. This is the thinnest paint I've ever encountered.

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    '05 @ 33,000 miles

75% highway driving in LA

3 clearly visible rock chips. I'm sure the chips would also be visible in other cars so i voted #2.

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Mar 26 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]230765[/snapback]</div>
    Geez, am I the last to notice that you're in Guam now?

Miss Alaska? (No, I'm not asking if you ARE "Miss Alaska".) :p

Tough call, mehrenst. Since we have no such thing as a "control group", hard to tell if it's thin paint (as many claim) or simply the configuration (slope) of the front. I'm inclined to think the latter. With my 4 Priuses, the lower foot-and-a-half of the hood seems especially prone to kick-up stones. I've had chips ABOVE the vinyl hood bra on all four. Only a full-hood clear bra would prevent this.

Present touch-up paint from Toyota sucks, too, especially silver, which is next to useless, since it "separates" right on the tip of the applicator brush and you can easily get a darkish blob with no metallic content.

8. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

In the first 20 miles, our '06 Seaside got two tiny rock chips...between the dealer and the clear bra installer! No more chips, though...

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    26 months, 15,000 miles. They are but the badges of courage and the marks of history. Nothing lasts forever, neither Earth nor sky.

10. meshell

meshell New Member

i had just gotten used to my new garage in my huge suv, then i bought the prius. now i have had to adjust again...and i got two small dings in my bumper. i need to find some chip repair stuff...any info? the paint does seem really soft and nick-able...

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Almost 20K miles and only a few tiny chips/nicks in the Silver, but I got the clear paint protection as soon as I could. A couple of tiny pits in the windshield too. Just lucky, I guess.

12. bernzx

bernzx New Member

Superwhite 2005 with 15k, thank god for the clear bra! I have two tiny dings on the hood penatrating the plastic film, but the bugs and road tar wash right off.
    bernie B)

13. lmccready

lmccready New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mongo @ Jul 3 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]280650[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, I have been having the same problem with the Salsa Red. I just took it to the dealer who said it didn't look like a problem with the paint, then I took it to a paint repair shop and they said it didn't seem correct that there would be so many chips with a car only 9 months old. Now we are looking for others that have had the same problem with this color. Ours is a 2005 Salsa Red with 19 chips and 13,000 miles. Our chips are fairly circular, about a half cm across and very ugly. Have you heard of others with this same problem? :(

14. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    '05 Tidelands Pearl with 36,700 miles so far. I have a clear bra so the front end still looks new as well as the mirror backs. I have a couple of small chips and scratches from road debris being thrown up on the freeways by passing cars, nothing significant and the car still looks new really. Overall the paint quality seems fine. A lot better than a new Porsche Carrera I had a few years ago. All you had to do was touch that car and it scratched and chipped.

15. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jul 3 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]280731[/snapback]</div>
    I can't speak for anything but white but I got touchup paint from these guys. PaintScratch.com From what I understand they mix it to order so it doesn't set around on the shelf.

I'm impressed with the match and coverage on the Super White. BTW, I've managed a scrape on my bumper and have ordered one of their spray kits to do the touch up. Hopefully it will be as good as the small bottles.

16. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is the thinnest paint I've ever encountered.

I agree. I can't believe all the scratches and pits. It's the only thing I don't like about the car.

17. c4

c4 Active Member

I don't know about paint thickness- I've got a number of stone chips on the hood right down to bare metal and the depth of the crater looks pretty consistent with most other vehicles I've seen, but the paint certainly is soft and prone to scratching and nicks and dings.. I wonder if it's related to the low-VOC formulation that's part of the environmentally friendly theme of this car..

18. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Had the car for 3 months now, only one or two rock-nicks

I recently Zaino-ed my Prius. I've never had a car before I considered worthy of waxing, and boy is it a good way to get familiar with every flaw in the paint job.

In particular, my classic silver Prius has a dimply "orange peel" texture, so no mirror like reflections for me.

Also, the bottom 1"-2" of the body shows a consistent band of paint running/dripping/build-up, as if Toyota was in a major hurry with the paint job. Not noticeable over 2' away, but come on.

Oh well, it's only a commuter car. :rolleyes:

19. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trinity @ Aug 9 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]300366[/snapback]</div>
    WOW!! It sounds to me like the car has been repainted by a shop that was pretty far down on the food chain. At 3 months I'd go back to the dealer and have a serious talk with him. How does it drive? Was it a new car title? Any chance that it came loose during the ocean transit?

20. wilco

wilco New Member

I've got a few stone chips, but my biggest complaint about the paint is that it is really orange peeled (it's black, so it's more obvious than the other colors).