1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

pls advise on used purchase

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alief, Apr 24, 2007.

1. alief

alief New Member

I'm talking to a potential seller soon and would really appreciate some input before we talk.
    I've always bought used but from dealer or good friend so this is a little nervewracking for me. This is by far the most I have ever spent on a car!

Seller listed his 2005, pkg 5, 32600 miles for $18.5k (ad indicates price lowered by $1k)

I have run a Carfax report and asked him about accidents/servicing.

• *Accidents: both Carfax and the seller say "no accidents" and original owner.
      *Servicing: Seller says "... I have records through xyz Toyota where I would have it serviced for any recall issues, otherwise I would take it to a convenient Midas or Jiffy Lube for oil changes." I'm a nerd so I called the dealership and they have a record of taking care of the steering column recall.
      Should he also have taken it in for a 5k and 10k servicing?
      *Reason for sale: adding baby #2 to family in a few days and wants a bigger car

He's about a 2 hr drive away. If we proceed, I think I'll drive out on Saturday to take the car for a test drive and take it to a dealership for a diagnostic.

So...is this a good price? What else should I be asking him? How low can I counter?
      Did I mention that this is nervewracking for me?

Thanks for any help! (Apologies if my post is in the wrong spot.)

2. nelda

nelda New Member

I recently purchased a used 2005 Prius as well (from dealer).

Kelly Blue Book lists the asking price as just about right (www.kbb.com).

Some things that I would check on:

1. Service receipts for oil changes etc. The warrenty may hinge on making sure that these where done appropriately. See if he can come up with something, perhaps even credit card charges, something that will help to show appropriate service. Not sure if a signed affadavit would help or not.

2. Does it have any type of extended warrenty? This would incease the value (IMHO). If not, you may want to negotiate a warrenty into the sale. Since it has less than 36K, you may want to check with the guy here at Prius Chat about whether or not it is eligible for the extended warrenty by a second time owner (I think it's less then $1000). I purchased one through the dealer (I hadn't found this place yet, so I over-paid :( ), and this gave me a bit of a sense of security.

3. Any extras (aftermarket items, cargo nets, floor mats, etc) that may sweeten the deal?

You do have some negotiating power, check out the trade-in price and try for a value somewhere between the trade-in and private value prices for your final price. You may also want to check the used car sites (www.autotrader.com, www.carmax.com, www.cars.com were some I used) for some idea of the value locally and nationally.

Good luck. I have enjoyed my Prius so far, very happy with it. This place is a geat source of info, and lots of friendly people.

3. alief

alief New Member

Thanks for the reply Nelda.
    I'll be sure to ask about the extended warranty and any extras to sweeten the deal.

If he doesn't have an Extended Warranty, can I buy one if I'm the 2nd owner? The car is still under 3yr/36k miles. If not, maybe I'll make the sale conditional on him getting one and then transferring it to me.

I had no idea the history of oil changed could void a warranty. Is that true? That makes me very nervous. I wouldn't expect someone to keep receipts for that. Uh-oh.

ANNE

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I may be wrong, but I believe I remember an earlier discussion here on PC, about 'proof of oil changes and the warranty.'

From what I recall, it's possible to somehow examine the sludge/amount of sludge that has built up (if the oil wasn't changed regularly) or the lack of it (if it was)...so it may not be totally critical that you have every receipt for oil changes.

That is, if the service was done. If it wasn't, and they open up the engine for a warranty claim, and they find evidence that maintenance wasn't done, then (since you have no proof to the contrary) you might be in for trouble.

I mean, this process is probably only triggered by a warranty claim, so if it keeps running, well, then it's a non-issue. But if there is a problem, it's fairly noticeable by looking at certain of the internal components as to how it's been maintained.

You might be able to find some more (circumstantial) evidence. I'd look at wear items like the armrest and center console and the brake pedal and maybe some of the buttons which would get a lot of use...things like this can be clues to how 'hard' the person drove the car on a daily basis (and, perhaps, their attitude towards the car itself).

Another thing: is it still on its first set of tires? That would be another clue as to the type of driver this person is. The stock tires are Goodyear Integrities, size 185/(I'm drawing a blank on the aspect ratio)/15. If they were gentle with it, the original tires (at this mileage number) should have some tread left...if not, you'll probably find a new pair of (cheap) tires have been installed.

I think I'd try to remember that there are other used Prii out there, and that just 'cause you make a long drive to go and see this one, don't feel compelled to close the sale if you're not sure about how it's all going down.

RE the price: it's in the ballpark, but not really a "bargain" in my opinion. The lack of service records doesn't help, either. Personally, I'd like to have the records, but I'm a bit risk-averse when it comes to things like this.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

If oil changes was not done at the dealership, I would ask wich jiffy lube or walmart he took it to on a regular basis every 5k miles and go to that location they can print out his service records there.

If he did him self ask for the reciepts for oil and filters he would have kept them for his own warranty needs IMO .

I dont think it is a bargain price but try to come down if he wants to sell he will come down. Odds are he went to a dealer that gave him a lowball trade in price I bet so now he has to sell on his own.

If ext, warranty is available still for 2nd owner just tell him to take off 1300.00 from his asking price and buy the warranty here on PC for 990.00

Camelback Toyota was a good dealership to go to when I lived in Phx. I think they had a Hybrid tech there have them inspect it, if possible .

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Hi alief

I believe the Extended Warranty for a Prius bought used is limited, although available. You might want to go to the PriusChat "Store" here and check the limitations. Just click on "Prius Accessories" top right of this page and it will lead you to the "Discounted Extended Warranty." As for the "Bumper-to-Bumper" Warranty (3 yrs or 36,000 miles) this Prius apparently is nearing the mileage limit on that one. Of course, you still have the balance of years and miles on drive train (60,000 miles) and specific hybrid components (8 years, 100,000 miles).

The suggestion to check Kelley Bluebook for "trade" value is a good one. Since Prius have become more available, the actual value of used Prius have decreased incrementally. I would also check other car price services for "used" and "trade" values. The CarFax report is absolutely essential, read it carefully.

No reason you shouldn't get many more miles of service on the Prius you describe.

As always, Caveat Emptor

7. alief

alief New Member

A quick dealer inspection revealed that the seller 'fibbed' about not being in any accidents. :angry: It wasn't anything serious but I just couldn't get comfortable after that, no deal. In a fit of pique last night, I emailed a couple of other sellers I saw on Craigslist and heard back from a few this morning. After weeks of talking to people I just didn't feel comfortable with, I found TWO perfect sellers this morning! Both had 2004 low-mileage, well-loved, verifiably well-maintained cars. What a change!

I was just about to pull the trigger on a beautiful red pkg #5 when I found a package #8 (whatever the top package was in 2004) for $400 more. I had to chose between the red - oh how I loved the red - vs the Nav, bluetooth, CD changer, etc.

Logic and potential resale value won out, so I will be picking up my faboo fully-loaded, well-loved, well-documented Driftwood Pearl in a few days. I'm really looking forward to meeting the owner too, she sounds great and definitely enjoyed her car! I can't tell you what a relief it was to find buyers I felt safe with! I felt bad telling Mr. Salsa Red that after all my enthusiasm about his beautiful red, I was going with the other one but he was very very nice about it.

Now I have alot of research to do on this site when I get home from my little expedition - flying out of state to pick it up and drive it home.
    If anyone is interested in the red 2004, I'm more than happy to pass on his info.
    Wish me luck! :p

8. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    alief:

Top package in 2004 was actually #9. I bought a black Pack #9 04 model with only 15k miles last summer from a local dealership. Which leads to the only other factor I'd toss into this discussion: I paid a tad more than I would have from a private seller, but I got the Toyota Certified Used Wty, which can be upgraded to full "bumper to bumper" coverage, making the car essentially completely covered for 7/100. I drive a lot, so without doubt, I'll drive through the 100k miles long before seven years are gone. Anyway, depending upon your circumstances and tastes, a TCU car might be another option to consider. Other than that, it sounds like you've thought it out pretty well.

EDIT: ooops, I was reading too quickly (which means not really reading at all I guess...). Enjoy your choice, these are great fun cars. You're not going to beat any 'vettes off the line, but just wait 'till the first time you get to pull up next to a Suburban at a gas station. Now that's fun! Welcome to the club!