1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pls give me your advice on a used 2012 toyota prius two

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Willow.D, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Willow.D

Willow.D New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone. I got an offer for a used 2012 Toyota Prius two (163k miles - price: $4k). The car got hit on the passenger side door, the estimated repair cost around $500. The car drives and runs well. There are ABS light and TPMS light on the dashboard. The is a little gap at the rear bumper (it might get hit as well), but that does not worry me much. There are some wears in and out but nothing major. Other than that, the car looks good and drive well, HV battery seems working right.
    one more problem: Car is burning oil. It was at a low level when I checked it. It was 3k miles since the last oil change.
    My question is, with those problems above, Is it worth to buy it? The price looks very reasonable and within my budget. Please give me your advice.

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Pass on this gem.

Car burning oil, oil low level - how low has it gone before? Body damage, estimated repair cost by whom?. 163K miles. ABS and TPMS lights. HV battery seems to be working right according to what diagnostic tool? $4K.

#2 jb in NE, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Skibob likes this.
  3. Willow.D

Willow.D New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply. All of the info above was visually inspected, no tools involved. I have done further investigation and found out the car has been at the auto auction before. So, I think I will pass this time. Thank you for your response.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Walk away from it.

5. Robbski

Robbski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well at $4k I’d walk away too. I mean that car isn’t worth big bucks at that mileage even if it were in nice shape.

But putting the problems in perspective:

TPMS light - probably a wheel sending unit short money and pretty much unnecessary if you’re capable of walking around the car every so often. Not a deal breaker.

ABS light- probably a wheel sensor but could be much pricier. Need to pull a code. Maybe a deal breaker but definitely should effect price.

The door - If it’s a small dent that can be fixed with paintless dent removal it should cost $500 or less OR if it’s a bigger uglier dent and the rocker and B pillar are OK and it’s a common color you might find a matching door at the junkyard and keep the cost under $500. Not necessarily deal breaker if you’re handy.

Burning oil - the fact that the dipstick is low doesn’t necessarily support that conclusion. It could be badly maintained or have a leaky gasket, seal or pressure sending unit. However burning oil not an uncommon problem on a Prius if that vintage. At that price if it is burning oil that is a definite deal breaker.

I’d consider gambling on it at $2k to $2.5k if you’re a DIYer but otherwise keep on walking.

Greenteapri likes this.
  6. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like Robbski's idea. If you want a perfect car walk away (@4k, it will be a needle in a haystack). If you are a DIYer and can tackle all the problems, buy it cheap. Write up how much all the repairs would cost and subtract that from the asking price. Shoot them an offer. You never know.

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A copy of techstream and a mini VCI would tell you what that abs code is. Plus it works on all the other Toyota, Lexus and Scion models too. Handy to have if your looking for those brands of cars.