1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug and play trailer wiring harness (almost)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by priussoris, Sep 20, 2007.

1. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Well the 118308 draw tite trailer wiring harness arrived today.
    and it does work on the 2007 prius.

Follow the EVNUT.com info on prius mods for plug and play and it will work just fine.

I even converted the reg. incand. lights on the trailer to LED's just to keep the amp draw down.

I did have a slight problem with one connector , in regards to removing the pins, the locking bar did not release them untill I had pulled it completly out. ( as seen in the pic.) I got nervous at that point, but took my time had a cold drink and all of a sudden JOB done.

I did put some caulking around the harness as it went through the rubber grommet , since I go through a laser car wash that has an under carriage wash, just to make sure it is water tight.
    I also drilled another ground screw just above the OEM grnd point , was not sure if disconnecting all the grounds back there before removing the battery grnd would make a problem. So a hole was born.
    [attachmentid=11559]
    [attachmentid=11560]
    [attachmentid=11562]
    [attachmentid=11563]
    [attachmentid=11564]
    [attachmentid=11565]

Attached Files:

Meg&Bear likes this.
  2. Chris_Kewl

Chris_Kewl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Sep 20 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]515448[/snapback]</div>
    I went to EVNUT.com and I cannot seem to find the trailer wiring harness information page. Can you guide me to a guide on how to install a wiring harness for a trailer? I am using a U-Haul trailer for a January trip and I want to make sure I have everything right.

I also own a 2007 Prius.

Thanks!

Chris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Sep 20 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]515448[/snapback]</div>
    I went to EVNUT.com and I cannot seem to find the trailer wiring harness information page. Can you guide me to a guide on how to install a wiring harness for a trailer? I am using a U-Haul trailer for a January trip and I want to make sure I have everything right.

I am also going to get a Curt hitch, either from UHaul or someplace else. They quoted me $250 including instal for this, which is just too expensive. Any suggestions would be great on where to go and how to do this.

I also own a 2007 Prius.

Thanks!

Chris

Meg&Bear likes this.
  3. 05 Solar Prius

05 Solar Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

4. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here's a pic of how I store the wires and connector in the little cubby inside the vehicle. I shut the hatch on the wires when actually using a trailer. Two years old now... and the plug is just like new! If I had it hanging outside all the time exposed to road salt and crud this would not be the case.

Attached Files:

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Quick caution on timm's suggestion.

I don't know if your harness is the "modulite" one.

I used the generic modulite (electrically isolated) unit on my Camry. Like timm I keep my harness in the trunk.

Be careful not to get the wiring caught in the trunk latch when closing the hatch! :eek:

I did on my Camry, and saw firsthand how the modulite prevents blown fuses (or worse!).

Meg&Bear likes this.
  6. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Good Point n8kwx! :eek:

Take a good look at my pics to observe how the wires are well to the side of the latch. In addition... double-check everything, everytime when hooking up a trailer on any vehicle to insure that nothing is going to get pinched, kinked or ripped off when going down the road.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  7. coturstyle

coturstyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Craig,

What type of weight do you pull? I am thinking about taking a storge box, attached to my hitch, down to Florida. I've had a bike rack w/two bikes on the same trip. Just want to make sure I don't over think what the Prius can do!

- Stef

8. momocentur

momocentur New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have terrible luck with electronics so I've been nervous about using EVnut's adaptation. I see that Drawtite now has a kit for the Prius II (P/N 119146KIT from etrailer.com). Anyone have any experience with this kit?

Meg&Bear likes this.