1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug in availability in uk

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Friar Tuck, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if this has been raised already, but when will the plug in be available in the UK.

I have just ordered one, but there was no mention of the plug in, just the standard version.

Also, I understand that the plug in will have something like a 14 mile range. When will this be extended.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It'll be the same time they're released world wide, which will be late 2011 or early 2012.

If emission free driving is of interest you might look into converting your car with a plug in kit. These are NOT approved by Toyota and will probably invalidate your warranty, but might be worth a chance on an older Prius.

Check out the following;

http://www.enginer.us/

and their UK based installation company;

PluginPlanet.co.uk

There is a UK member on here who has one on order and should be installing it soon. I think his name is flaninacupboard (don't ask where he got that from! lol ) and he posts regular updates.

If a kit isn't your cup of tea, then wait for the official Toyota plug in - I know I am.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There are no specifics being offered at this time as to what the production version of the Plug in Prius will offer. Rumors on the net are placing availability around 2nd quarter 2012. I haven't seen if that's just the US or all over but I would assume all over.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  5. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guilty as charged. The name comes from an old Eddie Izzard sketch...

Still waiting on delivery, but the kits have now left china. Hoping it arrives sooner rather than later, as fitting it in our oh so pleasant winter doesn't sound like much fun. Definitely one negative for Enginer is no UK presence, but that's the way with all these chinese firms.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking w/ Toyota and seeing the display at the 10-10-10 event, they're confirming mid-2012 (i.e. June/July) - at least for the US.

7. KINGellen

KINGellen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    what kind of plug?????

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the UK it will be a very big one! lol [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1363]BS 1363 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

You haven't asked a dumb question as I personally haven't seen the answer. I believe the plug is a standardized item that can plug into a universal socket which would be the same on all plug ins or EV's incuding the plugin Prius. At the other end will be a relevant household plug or maybe it will be hard wired into custom built chargers. Again I'm guessing that you will also carry a suitable lead in the car should you wish to charge away from home.

This has got me wondering what would happen here in Europe when driving your car in a different country which uses different electrical plugs and sockets [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets]AC power plugs and sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]. Would the normal travel plug adaptor be able to carry the high amps required to charge an EV?

9. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We could use IEC 60309 in europe.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60309]IEC 60309 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

10. 26nm

26nm IC Desgin Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I belive UK household voltage is already 220volt. Save few thousand dollars to put a 220 outlet in US garage.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But what does it plug into? One end plugs into the car (and what socket is that) and the other end goes into some sort of standardised socket or plug.

I thought the IEC 60309 plug was for 400v 3 phase applications only.