1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-in Conversions Owner's Forum

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by bikr357, Oct 17, 2009.

1. bikr357

bikr357 Plugged in Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A place to share your driving experiences, mileage, and any joys or frustrations regarding Plug-In Conversions 6.1kWh NiMH plug-in conversion.

This is and attempt to both consolidate and provide links to prior discussions on the topic of Plug-In Conversions' system which utilizes large format NiMH batteries from Gold Peak Industries and advanced control systems developed by Ewert Energy Systems. Owners, potential owners and others just interested in discussion of the technology are welcome to contribute.

1 person likes this.
  2. bikr357

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had the PICC conversion installed since late August of 2009. If you will pardon the length of this post allow me to share a little history on how I, definitely a newbie, came to become an owner of a Plug-In Conversions PHEV. :)

Possessing some, if not all, of all the characteristics of a Prius owner; Technically minded, Green & CHEAP. I was fortunate enough to arrange to assist in the conversion. I considered this to be a great benefit because at the end of the process I would end up having the only installation in Texas, and wanted to the sure I possessed enough knowledge to at least assist in troubleshooting any problems which might surface.

My actual conversion was done by Steve Woodruff (autobeyours.com) who did the installation in a 2006 Prius which was an insurance salvage. Permit me here to stray a little from the topic; you will find threads all over PriusChat warning of the perils of purchasing a salvaged vehicle especially one as technically advanced as a Prius. I've personally owned many salvaged vehicles over the past 15 years and never had an issue with mechanical issues related to the repairs, insurance or insurance claims (and yes, I've had repaired vehicles totaled, but received fair value from the insurance company without any hassles). One downside to a recycled car is that once totaled, car manufacturer's void all warrantees. However I'm a very cautious buyer who does my own top to bottom inspections on cars and only deals directly with established rebuilders who specialize in rebuilding a specific model or brand of car I'm interested in. Remember the "cheap" comment above, we only buy cars with cash so financing is not an issue for us, then we drive the wheels off our cars so resell value is of less concern.

:focus:

My wife, who was actually the one looking for a Pruis, is the one who actually discovered PriusChat and through the forums here found AutoBeYours and Steve Woodruff. Steve's shop is in a little farming community in Indiana about 30 minutes north of Louisville, Kentucky and I live 1,400 miles away in Houston, Texas so I had to feel absolutely confident about the transaction.

Close to a month of research into the design and operation of a Prius and numerous emails and phone calls back and forth to Steve proceeded a commitment to purchase . During this same period the first 2010's started arriving on the lots. Now my wife had been wanting a plug-in for years and was holding out until the 2010 model for Toyota's plug-in Prius. A test drive of a 2010 and specifically its limited EV mode left us unimpressed. Then discovering that Toyota would not be delivering a PHEV until late 2010 and then only to fleet purchasers left us in a position where we couldn't wait for Toyota.

So in late June 2009 we made the commitment to purchase a low mileage 2006 Package 7 (every whistle and bell except for leather) from Steve. Now the reconstruction project that was to be our car was a six week endeavor, and within this time period CFC happened and my wife's '99 mini-van which we had been babying for years met a hastily planned demise and was replaced by a new 2009 touring edition. In the course of a week my wife's recycled Prius had become my project car.

Now at the same time I was talking to Steve about the purchase, I was also doing research into the plug-in conversions and was particularly intrigued about the then recently announced ability to run at 70 mph while in EV mode. This level of performance is only available in thought the control system upgrades installed as part of the PICC conversion; but with it there was a lot of concerns and speculation that the system was forcing the MG's to operate outside of their design range or that other damage to the vehicle might result. More research lead me to the conclusion that provided that the ICE was allowed to spin during 70 mph operation, no harm would occur to the MG's or to the car's other systems. Emails and phone calls to Kim Adelman, the Ewert Brothers and to Steve confirmed my own independent conclusion.

Steve's relationship with Kim; Steve had provided some of the cars used in the testing and development of the system (and is now currently doing a 2010 for use in the design of a conversion option for that vehicle), allowed him the ability to purchase and install the system which he was both very eager to do and willing to allow me to participate in the process. As my installation was the first one Steve Woodruff had done solo there was a learning curve, complicated by the fact that Kim Adelman was in the far east at the time. Kim was able to provide phone support during the installation but the time zone difference limited access to Kim to early morning and late evening hours. We took our time and were very methodical in the installation which was accomplished in one very long day. The actual installation and some of my first impressions can be found in the thread "Plug-In Conversions 6.5kw Kit installation".

The installation removes the original battery pack and replaces it with a much larger pack which occupies the space normally occupied by the spare tire and the concealed storage tray. The removed battery pack is returned to PICC who then recycles/reuses the battery cells. The rest of the original OEM systems are retained and augmented with additional system boards to control operation of the system. A German manufactured computer controlled battery charger, a smaller 12 volt trickle charger and additional cooling fans completed the installation. A quarter to a third of the system's cost is tied up in the battery chargers. After two days of testing and charging I started out on the 1,400 mile drive home. As was noted in the previously mentioned thread, there was an issue early during the drive home which resulted in the ICE rapidly changing speed without a variation in forward movement. This was temporarily resolved by disconnecting the hybrid energy manager (HEM) which was one of the two added system boards. The rest of the trip home was uneventful.

A month of commuting followed all without the benefit of the HEM which allows for switching between various modes of operation. As designed, and without any user interaction, the system automatically switches between what they call Short PHEV Mode and hybrid mode depending on the state of charge of the battery pack. The battery pack when fully charged is charged to about 90% of its capacity to maximize the pack's life. Short PHEV Mode is designed to exhaust the battery in 30 miles or less in a blended mode of operation which uses the ICE but favors the MG's until the batter y pack is discharged to about 22% of its total capacity at which time the system converts to a normal charge sustain hybrid operation. Other modes of operation include a Medium and Long PHEV and a True EV mode. The True EV mode allows the ICE to come on only enough to preheat the catalytic converter for emissions control then favors battery usage over the ICE. Acceleration in this mode under pure battery power is much quicker that in can obtain in hybrid mode without forcing the ICE to contribute to the acceleration effort. Should the need arise for an even quicker acceleration, flooring the petal will switch the car to hybrid mode, fire up the preheated ICE and allow maximum acceleration. If this occurs however you have to manually reenter the EV mode. Changing between modes all occurs on the fly, you don't have to stop the vehicle to switch between any of the modes.

The racing ICE issue was successfully resolved last month when Kim Adelman visited our home and personally installed an upgraded HEM which corrected the issue. It turns out that the systems in a 2006 and later Gen II are slightly different than prior years and this difference was the cause of the issue. Some tweaking to the add-on boards and their embedded software corrected the problem. A portion of Kim's visit and our participation in a month meeting of the Houston Hybrid and Hypermilers Club is documented in the thread Sat, Sep 19th, Houston Hybrid and Hypermilers Club

With all boards installed and now operational switching between modes is accomplished through a java application which runs on a PC and with communicates with the CAN bus through a CANdapter. For over half of my last tank I used this to switch to the mode most appropriate to the trip at hand. The reboot time of the PC coupled with the fact I have to set up, disconnect and store the system each time I use it has limited my use of the switching function. I'm looking forward to the upgrade which will eliminate the need for the PC and have the controls displayed on the MFD.

In normal commuting the system has performed well delivering mid to high 70's mpg on the two tanks I've gone through in two months of commuting. The results could have been much higher except there are days when job commitments force me the exhaust the pack and revert to standard hybrid mode over long distances. On those days when I'm not forced into long trips the pack capacity is sufficient to get me to work and back with only the ICE running to preheat the catalytic converter. Because a lot of my trips are relatively short my mileage would have been significantly higher if it were not for this preheat. I'm told the ability to defeat this preheat so the car operates like one with a EV button will also occur in the next upgrade. I can't wait! In my case it should help mpg quite a bit.

So here are the results to date.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

It looks like the reason you're seeing lower mileage is due to the 200+ miles of standard hybrid driving--I don't know how cold it is there these days but the Prius mileage will drop quite a bit in colder temperatures because the ICE has to run more for heat. That, combined with the 200 miles of hybrid driving could account for roughly half the gasoline tank noted above--leaving 600 some odd miles off of 4 to 5 gallons during PHEV / EV mode (which is well over 100 MPG for the duration you traveled with the battery charged).

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  4. bikr357

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only on this most recent tank (the one I'm presently burning) has the temps dropped low enough for the ICE to run to provide heat. When I discovered what was going on I dropped the inside cabin temp to match the exterior and succeeded in keeping the Ice off. If this year is anything like last here in Houston, Winter will be 2 days in January. ;)

Regarding the mileage, when I purchased the pack I was hoping on a 50% improvement, and I've seen that so I'm happy. It's just that I also see that there is potential with just a little more tweaking (like easier access to switching modes and the ability to delay ICE start for very short trips) I could see even more improvement with my mix of driving. I even see the real possibility of a 100% improvement. That would be nice was it would cut my payback period in half (as if that was the reason I did it).

1 person likes this.
  5. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PICC should have a temporary push-button display system in the next few weeks with the eventual MFD integration solution of the graphical display probably about a month or so out as best I understand. That should help with the mode switching and such. There should be some other firmware tweaks available soon as well.

Andrew

2 people like this.
  6. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Guys,

Since people have asked, I'm posting a basic review of my Plugin Conversions (PICC) system after I filled up my tank—I can post more details if people are interested.

DISCLAIMER:
    First, I am not posting this to gloat or in any way claim a record—I am aware people have gone much further on a tank of gasoline. Also, since I have a PICC system in my car of course I will end up ultimately being biased towards it, however I have analyzed or driven the vast majority of the existing PHEV systems on the market so I do have a pretty good basis for comparison with other systems.

I filled up the first week in August and again just last week so roughly 4 months between fill ups. According to the Prius MFD, I drove 1236 miles on the tank and according to the gasoline pump I burned 8.687 gallons of gasoline on said miles. This number isn't entirely accurate because the temperature of the gasoline bladder was about 30 degrees colder when I filled it up in December than when I filled it up in August (I had to warm soak it in the garage to get it warm enough). I was careful to slowly fill the bladder to help compensate for this difference in temperature, but it's really hard to say exactly how much gasoline was left and I didn't want to completely run out of gasoline because I was still running summer blend gasoline and the engine was rather unhappy with that fact in the colder weather. So I filled up early.

Anyway, if you do the math: 1236 miles traveled / 8.687 gallons burned =~ 142.2 MPG average.

What I DID do:

Since my trips were mostly short range (under 25 miles) I could have done a lot of them in electric mode (EV). Since the PICC system allows me to go up to 70 MPH in electric mode with the Ewert Energy System's Hybrid Energy Manager (HEM), I could get to and from work without burning a drop of gasoline. In fact, I went an entire week during the summer without burning a drop of gasoline just for fun. Usually though I like to run the gasoline engine too for extra acceleration power, though I still get really good mileage because of the HEM. Some time I'll try using EV mode more aggressively and see how much better mileage I could get, though now that it's getting really cold I think I'll keep using the gasoline engine.

In short, I just drive my car like a normal car...I don't have to change my driving style or anything to get good mileage. The HEM in the conversion takes care of all the rest.

What I DID NOT do:
    1) I'm not a hyper-miler. With the one exception of some pulse and glide, I don't do anything special to get the mileage I get. I just drive my car like a normal car.

2) I do not cancel warm-up. Some people do this in order to achieve higher mileage because the car burns a great deal of gasoline in this stage, however canceling the warm-up sequence /significantly/ increases emissions (by a factor of 8 to 12 times according to Argonne National Labs). I do not do this because I wish to lower /both/ gasoline consumption and emissions. If I /had/ canceled warm-up I expect that I could have easily doubled the mileage (if not more) out of the tank.

For those interested, when I /do/ exit EV mode, the vehicle still goes through a controlled warm-up sequence (courtesy of the Hybrid Energy Manager) to warm the catalytic converter before using the engine. This is very different from exiting OEM Toyota EV mode because doing that skips the warm-up sequence all together (hence the spikes in emissions).

About the tank:
    I don't drive my car that much at a time so I would estimate that the average trip distance was closer to 10 to 15 miles. I would also estimate that my average speed for said tank was over 35 MPH though I don't have any logs to support that. The tank drive was composed of high speed driving and low speed driving with some miscellaneous trips in there that were not done on the battery (EG: long trips to the airport or when I forgot to plug the car in...). I would estimate that about 20% of the gasoline tank was used during what I call “Stock Toyota hybrid mode†where there was no electric assist from the plugin system so I could have gotten much more range out of the tank.

About my car:
    It's a 2005 Rebuilt Prius--restored by Steve Woodruff of Auto-Be-Yours (AutoBeYours.com) (keep on rocking Steve!). If you're looking for a new Prius, I'd suggest talking to Steve first since he can probably save you a lot of money.

Since it's a 2005 model, the MFD gets reset every time you refuel the car thus the mileage you see in the picture below is active over the last tank and the last tank only.

Things I like about the system:

1) I love the fact that the battery is completely replaced. This means that I can pull 100+ amps indefinitely until the pack depletes without having to pull over and wait for it to charge up. It also means that I get full regen when I stop and can actually completely charge my car up if I go down a long hill.

2) I like being able to very aggressively use electric power through both the enhanced blended mode (where the car uses the entire electric motor first then the gasoline engine) and the “True-EV†electric mode where I can go up to 70 MPH without burning gasoline.

3) I like how automatic the system is. I don't /have/ to do anything other than drive and plug it in. I can switch modes if I want to (say to electric mode) but if I just unplug the car and drive away the system automatically tries to use as much electricity as possible. It's very much a turn-key system and requires little to no user interaction to get good mileage (except for plugging it in!).

4) I like how integrated the system is. It's a very professional install that integrates directly with the vehicle. For example, the vehicle will not go to ready-mode if the charger is plugged in thus making it impossible to drive away with the car plugged in. For switching modes, currently I have a push-button board to switch modes but I know that PICC is coming out with a new display device that interfaces directly with the Prius MFD in all year models (2004 – 2009) that looks promising. I plan to get that upgrade as soon as it's available to make the system that much more integrated into my car.

Things I wish were different about the system:
    1) The battery is heavier than its lithium ion counter-parts on the market (roughly 300 pounds). This adds to overall vehicle weight obviously. So far it hasn't really impact vehicle stability or control (and we had a very nasty snow storm the other day). The increased weight doesn't seem to impact mileage once I run out of battery either. The lower internal resistance (higher efficiency and less energy burned as heat) of the battery seems to make up for at least most of the added weight in normal Prius hybrid mode (that is, when the battery runs out of energy).

2) I don't have a spare tire anymore since the box uses the OEM tire area...though if I am going on a long trip I just throw the tire in the trunk since it sits on top of the battery box. It's not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it.

3) The cost. I know a lot of you were complaining about this given the other cheaper options out there. But, my opinion is that if you can afford the PICC system you will see much better results with it than you would if you went with a low-end system. That said, the cost does unfortunately make this system not for everyone.

What I did was I bought an insurance salvage rebuild Prius from Auto-Be-Yours for half the price of what I would have paid if I bought a new one--then after installing the PICC system it's actually slightly cheaper than buying a brand new Prius (I got my car with all the bells and whistles), but I have the conversion system installed. Obviously this doesn't work if you have the car already, but it's something to think about.

4) This isn't really the conversions /fault/ necessarily (in fact, it demonstrates how little gas it uses) but the car's heat takes a lot longer to kick in when it's cold outside. The gasoline engine temperature barely breaks 100F after 10 minutes of "use" because it's hardly used (typical engine will peak around 190F after a long trip). This unfortunately makes for some unhappy passengers--so sometimes I will switch to standard Toyota Hybrid mode so that the gasoline engine warms up to heat the car. I also plan to block the grills in my car and I currently make use of an electric block heater though this doesn't really help once the car starts moving.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the above album: PriusChat Forums - linuxpenguin's Album: 1236 Miles on a tank

Andrew

5 people like this.
  7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    A BIG Thank you for your very informative conversion and "how to use it" in the proper way.

8. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I say if the PICC would use LiOn batteries and had the control system integrated into the MFD I would trade out my Hymotion pack in a heartbeat.

1 person likes this.
  9. bikr357

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice numbers Andrew!

I'm only seeing half your numbers on my system, but I suspect it must be from shorter trips (more engine warm up on the tank) and the fairly frequent long trips (100+ miles) every other week or so.

I'm only charging overnight and if I'm careful I can occasionally get to the office and back on a charge. Are you charging at home and the office to get those numbers?

Also, have you heard when the next software update will be rolled out? I know it should be soon, but I'm REALLY eager to get my hands on the full EV with delayed ICE warm-up capability. I suspect it will help my numbers.

For those you don't know what I'm talking about, PICC's next software upgrade is supposed to allow EV mode (without the use of an EV switch) without first having to go through ICE warm-up. The system is to detect battery charge state and initiate the ICE warm-up sequence prior to transition to hybrid mode. At present you have to allow the ICE to warm before switching to EV mode (the system values lower total emissions over higher gas mileage). With my current software if you attempt to make the switch to EV to early, the OEM systems will throw an error code for having too cold an engine/exhaust system (it's the only error code I've had to date and it has happened only once).

Howard

1 person likes this.
  10. linuxpenguin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Howard,

All of what you said are factors for mileage. The trick is of course to do as much driving with the PHEV system engaged as possible. Long trips will definitely cut into mileage because for every gallon you burn in hybrid mode you could have gotten nearly 3 times as much range if you had been running on battery.

That said, life duties call so sometimes you have to drive hundreds of miles in a day and that's why we drive plugin /hybrids/ after all.

Did you try switching the car to be in the "Medium" or "Long" distance mode for the long trips or are you still using the short range mode for all your trips? You should see better results with the long range setting.

Also, what is the average temperature where you live during the day? If it is cold enough, have you considered an electric block heater or blocking your grills? I just blocked my grills yesterday and already see an improvement--though do /not/ block them if it doesn't get cold enough otherwise you may damage the engine.

As for the software update, I think PICC should be contacting you soon for a upgrade--last I heard the update was ready.

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  11. bikr357

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I still only have the CANdapter/notebook interface so it's a but of a bother getting the computer connected, recognizing the CANdapter and the JavaScript control app. running. My schedule seldom allows for this, plus I have to park in locations (like my office and driveway) :eek: where I can't leave the computer and cables visible for fear of break-ins. So I usually running in the default "Short PHEV" mode. I must admit it would be nice it the system defaulted back to the last mode you were in prior to recharging, but this is a minor annoyance.

While temps do drop occasionally; we had a snow storm week ago Friday, the earliest on record, they don't stay that way for very long (we were back into the 50's the following day). So I don't think I'm a candidate for grill blocking. I don't have block heater either but may consider one in the future. Would be nice to be able to have a system that is both temperature and time aware that could take advantage of the fact I'm already tied to the 120v AC grid overnight. Then if it could talk to my home wireless network... :rolleyes:

I'll check with Kim (PICC) on this, I'm looking forward to the firmware update and the concealed push button interface so I can dump my notebook.

1 person likes this.
  12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll second that, an excellent job! :)

1 person likes this.
  13. HalBurke

HalBurke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks,
    Well I finally had my Hymotion installed Tuesday, June 29th at Foreign Affairs Motors in West Palm Beach, Florida. They are the only approved installer of Hymotion, that I know of in Florida. Since i am not a mechanic, I did not stick around to watch every step, rather spent the day at the beach. So far every thing seems to be working as planned. I have plugged it in the last two days. I have a kW photovoltaic system on my roof, so hopefully I'm not pulling much energy from FOL. Florida has a K rebate and as far as I know there is a K federal tax credit, so that makes the net cost much more palatable. I am retired and 95% of my driving encompasses total mileage of less than 30 miles a day. The conversion seems to be a perfect fit for me.
    I will keep you posted as time meanders on.......

Hal

14. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I would agree with Andrew 100% on these points about the PICC system. It is how the Prius should have been built, but for the Chevron/Cobasys patent restriction preventing people from using large-format NiMH batteries so cars could continue burning more gasoline. The patent restriction also killed Toyota's RAV4EV. Gold-Peak was one of the few, if not only, companies that could have legally supplied these batteries to Toyota, I don't know why they weren't used.

15. Energy Saver

Energy Saver New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking for anyone that has had problems with their plug-in system. Mine has malfunctioned for 6 months and the company that installed the system cannot seem to make it work correctly. To make matters worse my Prius caught on fire while I was driving the car. It appears that the wiring from the kit caught the interior back of the car on fire.

16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This thread is for owners who have the PHEV system from Plug In Conversion Corporation.(PICC)
    Just to reconfirm, your system is a system made by PICC, right?
    (As opposed to one made by Plug In Supply, Enginer, or Hymotion.)

17. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    ouch!!!

18. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What does the push-button board for mode switching look like, where is it mounted into the car?

Can anybody please provide pictures of it? just out of interest, because im looking at possibly doing a PHEV conversion in the near future.