1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-in Hybrid Buick Crossover Slated for 2011

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Aug 7, 2009.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    New Plug-in Hybrid Buick Crossover Slated for 2011 - KickingTires

Today, GM announced it would launch an all-new five-passenger Buick crossover in late 2010. The bigger news is that the crossover will get a plug-in hybrid model in 2011. The crossover itself shouldn’t be a surprise. It’s likely to be based on the popular Chevy Equinox and upcoming GMC Terrain. GM said it will feature the same fuel-efficient four-cylinder engine as those two models.

The plug-in hybrid powertrain, however, is not lifted entirely from the upcoming Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid. Instead, GM will be using its 2-Mode Hybrid system first utilized in large SUVs like the Chevy Tahoe and the never-sold-to-the-public Saturn Vue 2-Mode Hybrid. The Buick plug-in will use two electric motors teamed to a 3.6-liter V-6; it’s flex-fuel compatible, which means it can run on E85 ethanol.

That system will be matched to an advanced battery pack that is lifted from the Volt, but the power delivery will shift from engine to motor depending on driving conditions...

2. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think enough people are going to appreciate GM's approach, which is sad considering their approach is meant to cater to the I-just-have-to-have-a-big-ride crowd in the U.S.

I'm sure that the youngest generations of drivers are totally stuck on the idea of being a bigger car, an SUV or a big truck but they fail to see the value of getting any extra fuel economy. Part of that is because you can get a big damn gas guzzler for about the same price as a new Civic or Corolla type of car and when you look at a larger, roomier and "better" looking vehicle next to a compact it seems like a rip off to get the latter. Again, I want to emphasize this is a perception issue and a complete lack of appreciation for what something even as drastic as double the fuel economy over the life of the vehicle, and what it can mean to a persons bank account, can mean.

I see it as though GM was trying to save people a little and perhaps give them an enviromentally friendly look (albeit a low level of enviro-friendliness) yet people couldn't appreciate it enough to go for it. Remember that commercial where the Escalade hybrid was supposed to do better than (or maybe only kind of match) the fuel economy of the Mini S? I guess even a statement like that fell on deaf ears.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Until GM delivers a "40-50 MPG no-plug mid-20's priced hybrid", they are completely disregarding a major market.

Also delivering the 3.6-liter 6-cylinder crossover is fine. But if that's all we get to choose from, what kind of decision is that?

A hybrid with such a large engine as their most efficient model offered shows just how out of touch GM still is. Didn't they learn about being competitive from the bankruptcy?

4. bluetwo

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GM understands it just as well as Toyota, Honda, Nissan.... you name it. It's the GM customer that won't play ball.

I have a feeling Honda knew they wouldn't really take away Prius sales with the new Insight but they knew it would sell to a degree. GM knows they don't have a snowballs chance in hell at a competition with the market leading hybrid builders so they want to make a vehicle for another segment to try and get a piece of the pie.

The SUV and truck market has just been too good in the past so now I see it as though GM is just a victim of it's own success in a world where big vehicles are on a slow downward spiral.

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Don't get it. Why not use a 4 banger? If the new 4 banger is good enough, with great mpg already. Would the hybrid version mated with the 4-banger be even better?

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    1 person likes this.
  7. bluetwo

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish it didn't suck....

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's an SUV marketed to people that will never go off road. By definition it sucks.

Just out of curiosity, if you could trade your Civic in for either a hybrid Civic or a hybrid Buick SUV, equal trade, which would you choose? (Note: I will not attack you for your choice. I will respect you. But I may try to persuade you to change your mind)

9. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A