1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug in Mods mpg extra battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigsteve1983, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bigsteve1983

bigsteve1983 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I wanted to put an extra battery in the truck floor and then hook up at switch from the stock battery and run in EV mode is that possible? Things I THINK??? I need___ extra battery pack, switch, charger. Thoughts???

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could spend $10,000 on this and still not make it work right. Pay a pro to do it or let it slide.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with Richard. It can be done, but it is not a trivial job. Check out HyMotion. They do this professionally. I've met one or two people who had it, and a few others have posted here, and all seem to be happy with it.

Note that whatever you do, the Prius will always start the engine over about 42 mph (over 34 if you've used the EV switch to put it in EV mode) or if you press on the accelerator more than very lightly, or if you ask for heat from the heater, or if the battery is either too hot or too cold. Thus it is not practical to expect to drive much in EV mode. The advantage is better mpg and using about 50% grid power while the charge lasts.