1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug in Prius in 2010 model: Modular battery would make sense

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Eric Nothman, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Eric Nothman

Eric Nothman Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I recently attended a Prius connection for the 2010 Prius and asked a few questions regarding plug-ins.

This year (2009) they will place about 150 of the 2010 model leased into fleet customers with plug-in battery and perhaps altered battery control module. It appears this is just exporatory.

In terms of future plug-in for commercial sale they still seem hesitant to enter that market, in part due to a question as to the limitations in the true market size. The idea is that maybe half the people can not park where they can plug it in (ex. live in the city without a personal garage - perhaps on street parking, etc.). Then, it takes a real behavior change to plug it in every day - most people probably won't do that. And, the expense of the large battery. So, the market is likely to be smaller than many imagine, and then only a certain market share would go to any single manufacturer.

To me, the point is we are heating ourselves off the planet. If we can use electricity for transport, that then could be from a renewable and non-polluting resource. So, it is a key requirement environmentally. Also, energy independence could help the economy and reduce geo-political tensions. Since those aspects might not be a prime motivator for many folks who need simply to make ends meet, it is exciting that this technology could also make sense from a $$$ perspective considering a gallon of gas equivalent in electricity is about $1.

To make the battery for a plug in more cost effective it would be key to allow people to purchase it by the battery module - perhaps 10 mile modules. So, a person who makes a 5 mile commute (one way) might only need a single module, whereas someone with a 20 mile (one way) commute might want four (ten mile) battery modules. Each module should be identical to the others with the management smarts being in the packaging/control system. Due to the current plug-in battery cost it would be uneconomical (per each purchaser's individual case) to purchase more modules than would be needed for a normal day's use. This could also reduce replacement costs, since only the failed module might be replaced in the case of an early failure.

So, the modular approach increases the cost/benefit analysis for each individual purchaser, and lowers the risk exposure to premature failure of an expensive component. This would help gain market acceptance and increase the pool of purchasers.

Eric

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's a very good idea. I think they want to use the small number of leased plug-ins to evaluate performance, maybe evaluate computer programming, maybe look at battery performance over time.

The problem with the modular design idea is not technological at all: Toyota does not like to offer custom options. They like to offer a small number of set options packages. Having, say, 4 levels of battery in each of, say, 8 different options combinations, means 32 distinct packages instead of 8. It would be easy to do if Toyota allowed customers to custom specify exactly what options, and what size battery they wanted. But that would be changing decades of Toyota distribution policy. Perhaps a more flexible company would do it. Or maybe they could build all the cars with one battery and allow dealers to drop in from one to three more in a modular fashion.

It's a great idea, but I don't see Toyota doing it.

I personally prefer the idea of having a pure EV for city driving and a plain hybrid for road trips. That way all my city driving is 100% grid powered, and I'm not carrying added battery weight on road trips where I cannot plug in anyway.

We need to build infrastructure for people to plug in cars in areas where they do not have access to their own house plug. In bitterly-cold regions, such as North Dakota, parking lots often have plugs for block heaters, since old-fashioned carbureted cars won't start when it's that cold. There's no reason we could not install plugs for EVs in warmer climes as well. Pay for it by taxing the executives of bailed-out banks at 150% of the bonuses they've given themselves out of our tax money.

3. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well then perhaps Toyota could sell it under the Scion brand. The whole purpose of Scion it to be highly configureable.

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or perhaps have a set number of empty "slots" sort of where the current prius houses its batteries, only have smaller battery module packs slide into the slots, therefore making swapping modules or installing new ones quick and easy... like power tools, only expandable.