1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Prius Video On YouTube

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by boulder_bum, Jul 26, 2007.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey Peeps,

I just posted the Toyota plug-in Prius press release video on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktG-0IioHWo

If anyone is interested in viewing, commenting on, or giving the video a 5-star rating it would help me out. :D

I'm not sure it will ever acheive the 26,000 views of my mini-golf video, but hopefully it will generate some interest.

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Great video, hope it makes it through the testing period.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Here is another one from YouTube.

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This does raise a few questions.

If Toyota had three plug in Prius (last scene, unless it wat trick photo) then why havn't they sent one of the extas for me to test in Oregon and Washington?

Looks like there are five or six conductors in the plug. Apparently, the Charger will remain at home, cutting down on some weight, but this kind of blows away the chance to plug in at work. I think the American plug-ins to 120 VAC have that advantage. I am not sure I want a second feul door on the right side for these electric connections. Why not one plug to AC for Plug-In Hybrid and EBH, that can work at home, work, participating shopping centers (They could draw hybrid customers by having 120 VAC outlets outside and a Hybrids Welcome sine), etc?

Is it a marketing ploy making the plug look like a gas nozzle? People are sick of looking at those, and Toyota would do well to abandon that handle design.

Edit,
    OK, I watched the second video and rewatched the first one. This time, I noted that the Bulky Cord Set has a big line lump on the house end, and then does appear to plug into a regular outlet. I seriously hope that Toyota changes the design to put the Power Convertor on board and provide an inconspicuous plug that will accept any standard extention cord, old Kirby Vacuum style. Regular extension cords would make it easier to set up multiple charging stations. Monster Cables can manufacture the pictured version for those who want to pimp their rides.

The GFCI on outdoor and garrage outlets in the USA (International Electric Code) should cover the safety concerns. If it is good enough for outdoor christmas tree lights, it should be good enough for Prius. Probably the extra 5 conductors has something to do with some sort of safety monitoring system for ground faults or whatever.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 26 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]485727[/snapback]</div>
    I believe they have 8 prototypes.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure I get it. You can just swipe somebody else's video - put it up on Youtube and hope people rate it highly for some reason?