1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

plug-in sales increase a little over 20% mainly on the leaf

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Jan 5, 2015.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard
    The leaf is doing great and I expect some more growth, but slow next year.
    Some numbers are still missing but the main ones are in, and the top five sellers are

30,200 +34% Leaf
    18,805 -19% Volt
    17,300* -2% Tesla S
    13,264 +10% Prius phv
    11,550 +90% fusion energi

* inside EVs estimates tesla has not reported yet
    ** Ford hasn't released December numbers yet, so results will be better.

The prius phv started the year off great, but sold less than 500 in each of the last 4 months. Disappointing. Toyota could have done much better, but if grading on a curve the prius phv was the only member of the prius family to gain sales, the family ended up with 207,372 down 11.5% from 2013.
    The volt was on line to reach parity with last year, then gm started selling the gen II and screwing up inventory. Recovery not expected until gen II. I expect low sales begining of next year. This is the most disapointing sales figure, but not unexpected.
    Ford Fusion energi seemed to grow picking up the phev slack along with the new bmw i3+rex

Tesla because of a long than expected manufacturing change and battery shortages had a slight decline as they expanded overseas. Expect a little decline in the S next year as the model X is released. Overall tesla US plug-in sales should have strong growth in 2015.

#1 austingreen, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Currently Nissan has a $3500 discount on the 2015 Leaf that brings the base model down to $15,500* in Texas!

*Includes fed & state incentives.

austingreen likes this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy cow! InsideEVs is now estimating 3500 December sales for the Model S.
    I know they had a big push, with the Minneapolis service center delivering 30 cars in the last 3 days of the year.
    I am skeptical of that number though.

They are estimating a 22%-23% increase in plugin sales over last year (about 120,000 vs 97,000).
    Led mainly by BEVs which seem to not be taking as hard a hit as PHEVs from gas prices.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the leaf prive is ridiculous, i hope they can keep it up!

austingreen likes this.
  5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla only reports quarterly and insideEvs has been very good having those months add up to tesla's real numbers. For individual months I don't know.

Telsa's estimate for world wide sales for the year is 33,000 and I think the most they have missed is 150 cars, often selling more. It is likely they are kept all the december cars in the US, so they can meet that number. Shipping to Europe or Asia would push sales out to January. We should find out when the quarter is reported if the sum of 6000 Teslas were sold in the US October through January. That number seems quite reasonable given the retooling increased supply, but many orders were changed from 2wd to 4wd, and there are not enough 4wd parts yet.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Volt is suffering 'new model blues.' Once they start showing up, their sales should peak for about 60 days and then ramp to the steady-state sales position.

Bob Wilson

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. It seems kind of sad that they released so much information for the new improved one so early. It seems like they wanted sales to go down. That maybe the case so that they can save some tax credits for the gen II. Let's hope the gen II is all they promise.

#7 austingreen, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  8. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I still wonder how much more the Plug-in Prius would have sold had Toyota of made them available nationwide. That's still a pretty impressive number they sold considering it's limited availability.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, but you have to consider the california percentage.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice uptick on the Fusion Energi!

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    According to toyota not much, but I have to believe that adding even 8 more states, non-compliance states would have an impact. Volt sells well in michigan, where gm is, leaf in tenesee where nissan is, toyota has major factories in Texas, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and Mississippi. Add in Florida, Illinois, and Minisotta, and you probably add 40% higher sales with these 8. Californa of course will be the best state for the prius phv, and likely 50% of their sales even if they were nationwide. OR, WA, NY, MA, CA are their good states now, but those 8 would have been better than some of the others.

Here is where volts sell.
    Chevrolet Volt U.S. Density Map
    [​IMG]

Jeff N, Zythryn, F8L and 1 other person like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a good analysis might be how many pips sell outside of cali now.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And which of those states have HOV lane privileges. Since that will likely end in the future.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point, i didn't know anyone outside cali had hov.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well similar lane restrictions or toll benefits just under a different name. I thought a few other states had these.

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think toyota really is trying though.

At the new price point, I can see people in toyota plant in san antonio buying them. If they sell in state, then they get another $2500 from the state and we have cheap wind to charge them. Florida might do well also with its cheap solar. Colorado with its plug-in incentives and cheap wind. One reason California gets 40% of plug-ins is many don't sell in other states. I see lots of volts in florida and texas, why would the prius phv not sell if toyota actually trained dealers and pushed the cars.

Let's face it toyota should not be handicapped into saying the phv would outsell say the volt if it was sold nationwide, but I would like to see toyota try to roll it out to some easy states and start promoting plug-ins instead of marketing against them.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree they're not trying. that's life i guess. leaves us with whatever else is out there. if the gen IV disappoints, a few of us will probably move on.

Trollbait, F8L and austingreen like this.
  18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Around DC they have HOV-2 and HOV-3. This implies that non-ICE cars have no special exemptions. They used to when hybrids were first introduced. But there is an anti-green crowd now in the rural dominated state house in Richmond and I can see them changing the rules.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to point out that the map of Volt density in the U.S.is produced by VoltStats tracking. A very small percentage of Volt owners use VoltStats. Used Volts may not have Onstar subscriptions which means no tracking at all. So while useful, the map only displays a small portion of Volt ownership. I looked up my area and there are a ton of Volt missing from the map.